Dennis Thurman Calling Defense on Game Days

26CornerBlitz

Dennis Thurman to continue handling defensive play calls

thurman-ryan-story.jpg

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman had a successful day handling Buffalo's defensive play calls Sunday in the win over Arizona. Head coach Rex Ryan gave strong indication that will continue moving forward.

Rex says he'll focus on the HC duties on game days.

Dennis Thurman to continue handling defensive play calls

Rex says he'll focus on the HC duties on game days.

I thought he usually did. But Rex sets up what he wants Thurman to call when installing the game plan. I don't think Thurman has the authority too call a game the way he wants too. He has a outline of the Ryan bros gameplan. Rex even mentioned when in the red zone his brother calls the plays. Or that's the way I understand it.

I thought he usually did. But Rex sets up what he wants Thurman to call when installing the game plan. I don't think Thurman has the authority too call a game the way he wants too. He has a outline of the Ryan bros gameplan. Rex even mentioned when in the red zone his brother calls the plays. Or that's the way I understand it.

I'm confused. Are you calling OP a liar?

Oh please this is such a joke. Ryan said himself there are like 5 choices for every down and distance. Anyone of us could randomly and quickly pick from a list of five choices already knowing the down and distance +/- what offensive grouping the other team puts out there.

Ryan said it is his defense. His brother and Thurman probably do have input - maybe even a great deal of input, but Rex has the final say what is on that sheet of play calls.

This is a pleasant surprise and I'm happy to hear it. I know Rex was calling plays for a while. I never liked the HC focusing on too much on side of the ball.

I also liked when I heard that Rex sat in on the offensive meetings. Let these guys do their job and be a head coach.

Hopefully this is the beginning of things coming together

This is a pleasant surprise and I'm happy to hear it. I know Rex was calling plays for a while. I never liked the HC focusing on too much on side of the ball.

I also liked when I heard that Rex sat in on the offensive meetings. Let these guys do their job and be a head coach.

Hopefully this is the beginning of things coming together

That definitely is an important development. A head coach brings accountability to all areas. I wonder if the Pegulas insisted on more consistent involvement across the board.

I was under the impression that he always called the plays. This seems like just a PR thing to me. "Hey, look! Our defense did really good! Dennis Thurman's awesome! stop b!@#$ing at us!"

Rex said he and his brother still have huge input into the defensive game plan, so nothing changes.

I was under the impression that he always called the plays. This seems like just a PR thing to me. "Hey, look! Our defense did really good! Dennis Thurman's awesome! stop b!@#$ing at us!"

Rex said he and his brother still have huge input into the defensive game plan, so nothing changes.

If I recall the play calling with the jets drifted in and out of his hands and is part of what got ugly between he and pettine towards the end. I mention that not to bash him but to point out that simply knowing what happened last week may not be what happened prior or will I the future. I think the press guys keeping tabs on the topic is a quality topic for fans

I've noticed multiple times that Dennis is standing behind Rob and Rex on the sidelines. It gave me the impression that he's not calling the game.

I see Rob making hand gestures to the defense signaling to me he's sending in calls.

Edited by Triple Threat

I see Rob making hand gestures to the defense signaling to me he's sending in calls.

Rob and someone else were both signaling at the same time. Maybe one of them was a Chip Kelly style Fake signaler? Perhaps perfecting a system for next week when the dreaded headset "problems" occur? Rex and staff then won't have to listen to the Patsies** radio broadcast?

I've noticed multiple times that Dennis is standing behind Rob and Rex on the sidelines. It gave me the impression that he's not calling the game.

This is exactly what I see. Hard for me to definitively say from 3 camera shots per game that I know who is calling the defense but based on what I have seen I'd have thought it was Rob Ryan.