Dennis Thurman Calling Defense on Game Days

26CornerBlitz

The importance of DT making the actual in-game calls -- regardless of whether he's simply picking from a list of 5-6 calls per situation -- has been lost in this thread. Rex Ryan is showing evidence of growing as a HC, meaning he apparently now understands he should be participating to some degree in management of the entire team -- not just his defense. It's a revelation that he realizes not focusing on making the calls allows him to look for other things and talk to his coaches/players while on the sideline.

Will this make a difference, ultimately, in the Bills' season? Who knows. But I don't think it's a bad thing.

The importance of DT making the actual in-game calls -- regardless of whether he's simply picking from a list of 5-6 calls per situation -- has been lost in this thread. Rex Ryan is showing evidence of growing as a HC, meaning he apparently now understands he should be participating to some degree in management of the entire team -- not just his defense. It's a revelation that he realizes not focusing on making the calls allows him to look for other things and talk to his coaches/players while on the sideline.

Will this make a difference, ultimately, in the Bills' season? Who knows. But I don't think it's a bad thing.

I agree with you about the importance. As someone who values continuity and stability in our front office, it is good to see Rex grow up just a little and realize it streamlines the play calling and his focus. Maybe now we will be more efficient with our clock usage and management since Rex isn't trying to figure out our next defensive play call. It may even help reduce our penalties if players have a few more seconds to get lined up and mentally review their responsibilities for the upcoming play.

Edited by GaryPinC

I've noticed multiple times that Dennis is standing behind Rob and Rex on the sidelines. It gave me the impression that he's not calling the game.

I see Rob making hand gestures to the defense signaling to me he's sending in calls.

I thought so too but I'm glad it is Thurman. I read Rob's lips one time when he was doing the gestures and he said:

Hey Hey Ho Ho, let's get that ball and go.

Hey Hey whaddya say, let's take that ball away.

I thought it was odd and I'm glad it isn't a play call. Also, he really can't dance at all.

I've noticed multiple times that Dennis is standing behind Rob and Rex on the sidelines. It gave me the impression that he's not calling the game.

I see Rob making hand gestures to the defense signaling to me he's sending in calls.

I've noticed this as well. Rob stands next to Rex making hand signals to the defense.

This is a pleasant surprise and I'm happy to hear it. I know Rex was calling plays for a while. I never liked the HC focusing on too much on side of the ball.

I also liked when I heard that Rex sat in on the offensive meetings. Let these guys do their job and be a head coach.

Hopefully this is the beginning of things coming together

Agreed. Cheers to hope.