Bills tied for #3 in the league in sacks

Rubes

I wouldn't get too carried away. Sacks matter but they are only one stat.

"Schwartzy" has his defense:

4th in ypg

1st in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

5th in 3rd down efficiency

Oh and the team is 3-0

The Ryan Brothers have their defense:

25th in ypg

17th in ppg

3rd (joint) in sacks

25th in 3rd down efficiency

And the team is 1-2

Look I think the Bills D has played two pretty decent games with one stinker in the middle. Comparing us to the Eagles D doesn't help your case though because they have played 3 outstanding games.

EDIT: And just for sake of keeping track... so that I can compare what is self-evidently true to what the Big Cat heat maps say at the end of the season so far I have:

2 losses - 1 each on the O and the D

1 win for the D (yesterday was an all round team win to an extent but forced to give it to one unit or the other it has to be the defense because they won the early field position battle which allowed the offense to take advantage)

It was not a dominant performance..........it was a very nice display of strategy and sound execution........with a big assist from a terrible performance last Thursday which gave the Cardinals the exact wrong idea of what to expect........strategy has been rare under Rex.......but the feeling at the game was that they basically had the tiger by the tail all day and really struggled to get off the field and were at times exhausted by it.

If I had to assign credit to one side of the ball for the victory it would be the offense. They set the tone and got the big lead which didn't allow the Cardinals to adjust to a more run heavy gameplan, which would have gashed the undersized Bills D.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I didn't say those stats tell everything, but they are a fair indication. That is why even though on the face of it we didn't exactly shut the Cardinals down yesterday I give the D the credit for the win. They shut them down when needed early, gave up some soft yards playing prevent when the clock was on their side and then made a couple of big plays when the Cardinals threatened a comeback.

All stats need context, but I will tell you now Schwartz is an outstanding DC and will have his D up near the top of those 4 key categories for most of, if not all, the season. And he will be a Head Coach next year.

Are you suggesting I did?

I don't care if you did or didn't. And no.

It was not a dominant performance..........it was a very nice display of strategy and sound execution........with a big assist from a terrible performance last Thursday which gave the Cardinals the exact wrong idea of what to expect........strategy has been rare under Rex.......but the feeling at the game was that they basically had the tiger by the tail all day and really struggled to get off the field and were at times exhausted by it.

If I had to assign credit to one side of the ball for the victory it would be the offense. They set the tone and got the big lead which didn't allow the Cardinals to adjust to a more run heavy gameplan, which would have gashed the undersized Bills D.

Im not gonna say we got away with one yesterday....but I will say that when the final games are tallyed we are going to look back and say "oh yeah and we beat them without Cordy Glen, Marcel D., and Sammy Watkins"

that stat should be changed to reflect the lack of effort in game 2, so basically we have 10.0 sacks in 2 games, we are #1

Per NFL.com:

Rk Team G Sck

1 Minnesota Vikings 3 15.0
2 Denver Broncos 3 12.0
3 Buffalo Bills 3 10.0
3 Green Bay Packers 3 10.0
3 Houston Texans 3 10.0
3 Philadelphia Eagles 3 10.0

Almost halfway to last year's total after only three games...

I take the point but other than the one big TT run early the O didn't really flip field position they just took the opportunity granted by the D pinning the Cards in. I do see your argument though. I think it was an all round team win, I'd just edge more to the D.

Cardinals started with five straight three and outs and finished with four straight picks thrown.

Not dominant? C'mon.

Sacks don't matter. Oh wait now they do?

Funny isn't it? Last year the prorex mantra was the scheme is fine, offenses are just getting rid of it soooo fast that sacks are impossible. But Now it's worth mentioning because it looks good implying offenses forgot this??

I'll never be accused of neutrality in this topic area, but I sure like ranking defensive performances by points allowed over all the other stuff, because at the end of the day points allowed is what matters. How you get there is less important.

Cardinals started with five straight three and outs and finished with four straight picks thrown.

Not dominant? C'mon.

Yeah Palmer never looked worse. They got their teeth kicked in.

Its a stat just like other stats

I am more interested in pressures and QB hits

Which lead to more sacks. Dont think youll ever see a team lead in pressures and qb hits and be last in sacks. They usually go hand in hand. Unless your team really stinks at tackling.

Funny isn't it? Last year the prorex mantra was the scheme is fine, offenses are just getting rid of it soooo fast that sacks are impossible. But Now it's worth mentioning because it looks good implying offenses forgot this??

I'll never be accused of neutrality in this topic area, but I sure like ranking defensive performances by points allowed over all the other stuff, because at the end of the day points allowed is what matters. How you get there is less important.

So in two out of three games, the defense did pretty darn well.

I've liked what I've seen in Z Brown, but we need to be weary of tackle stats. I'm glad it is our LB rather than a DB, but high tackle counts usually mean your D is on the field too long and that's been the case through three games.

^^ ding ding ding!

You get a lot of tackles when you have a lot of plays run against you. We are seeing signs of progress, but let's not kid ourselves in to thinking that this D is a top unit, at this point.

Which was a common theme last year. Solid games followed by absolute stinkers.

The defense had a horrible game against the Jets. I agree with that 100%.

We can argue about why that was.

I thought Moose Johnston, during the telecast, accurately described why there was a difference between the Jet and Cards games. I agree with him and think that it was plain as day for all to see . . . except, of course, if one is pushing an anti Rex narrative.