Owners met with players WITHOUT Rex before Roman let go

GottaRun

You're talking about TT? I'm talking about Roman and the entire offense.

We hear this. We don't know it. Anyway, you really think Terry and Kim we sitting round at any point last winter wondering why the QB was not using the middle of the field? Or the lack of targets for Sammy (he only played 13 games and had almost 100)? Or the 2 minute urgency? Seems fairly dubious.

This more and more...doubtful.

Well these are things you hear talked about by fans. I don't want to give the Pegulas too much credit or anything, but perhaps they wondered these things as well? The TNF announcers seemed to notice the lack of urgency on the two minute drill and referenced it being a problem for some time. It's all speculation , but these things were reported . We definitely do not know it. Should we assume that Terry and Kim were perfectly happy with the offense going back to last year and were fine with Watkins only getting 4 targets on TNF and few in many other games? That Clay has not been being used. I'm guessing they know at least something about football. Why did they reortedly meet with offensive players on Friday? A change was made. Someone wasn't happy. Could it be the owners of the team were involved ?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is that weird, given the reporting structure set up by the Pegulas where Whaley has no authority over the coaching staff and Rex, like Whaley and Brandon, report in parallel directly to the Pegulas?

Yep, the Pegulas put in place an infrastructure that was almost guaranteed to lead to disfunction. They really seem to be in over their heads.

Finger pointing. Lack of unilateral direction. The basics.

Who is finger pointing? Us? We don't count. Rex was either telling the truth that it was his call (which seems likely at this point), or he took the company line. No one is finger pointing. We are just questioning, but that will always happen.

Who is finger pointing? Us? We don't count. Rex was either telling the truth that it was his call (which seems likely at this point), or he took the company line. No one is finger pointing. We are just questioning, but that will always happen.

No. They can all finger point at each other. Rex can say Doug didn't get me my players. Doug can say Rex's coaches suck. etc etc etc. IMO, a clear hierarchy makes much more sense. If the GM hired the coach, he's on the hook for how that coach performs.

Terry has to make the call on who to trust when they blame each other. And he doesn't have the acumen. Sets himself up for trouble.

Edited by jmc12290

I think a lot of people mistake Terry Pegula's humility and soft spoken manner.

The man made billions in the gas and oil industry. He got over on a lot of cutthroat, driven, sharp businessmen who could only dream of that type of success.

It's worth remembering. He will get it right.

He had been the owner for a couple months when Marrone quit.

Edited by TheFunPolice

No. They can all finger point at each other. Rex can say Doug didn't get me my players. Doug can say Rex's coaches suck. etc etc etc. IMO, a clear hierarchy makes much more sense. If the GM hired the coach, he's on the hook for how that coach performs.

Terry has to make the call on who to trust when they blame each other. And he doesn't have the acumen. Sets himself up for trouble.

They CAN finger point, but has any of that happened? Not that I've seen. Don't just make stuff up. You can be negative about it if and when it happens. Until then....

They CAN finger point, but has any of that happened? Not that I've seen. Don't just make stuff up. You can be negative about it if and when it happens. Until then....

The question was how can the current set up lead to dysfunction. I never claimed any of this stuff was going on. But it's a clear danger.

Marrone was safe at the end of their first few months of ownership and he unexpectedly quit on New Year's Eve.

Their trusted right hand man Russ Brandon was supposedly enthusiastic about hiring Rex soon after.

I cant fault them. I wanted Rex too.

Marrone also had a contract clause which paid him for his last year of his contract even though he quit.

I think when your new to a side of the game that none of us will ever see (ownership) and you need to learn the game on a level few if any of us will ever experience you learn by talking to all members of your organization in an environment that elicits objective honest answers so you can make intelligent decisions both now and in the future. If that means undermining the coach you probably regret hiring so you can make a proper determination of the future direction of the franchise then so be it. Maybe Rex should spend a little less time making a fool of himself during press conferences and a little more time trying to improve on his piss poor record over the past five plus years in this league. He's roughly 16 games or so below five hundred his last four years with the Jets and his time with us. To me this is the beginning of the end for Whaley and Ryan. Hopefully the Pegulas can use this time to do their homework and bring in people next year who can lead us back to the playoffs.

The question was how can the current set up lead to dysfunction. I never claimed any of this stuff was going on. But it's a clear danger.

Any "set up" can be dysfunctional. No solid evidence yet that ours is there, though there may be some arguable indications. The world is full of dangers, but I've learned to deal with them in a realistic way. Don't waste time worrying about things that do not yet exist and you have no power to prevent. That's an important life lesson.

Marrone wanted Russ and Whaley out the door and tried a power play. His buddy Polian was going to help make it happen as Czar but when it didnt happen Marrone had to quit

I think it's more likely that Marrone saw a rare opportunity to double dip on salary and took it. He figured he was the top candidate for the Jets job if he quit and he's from NY. Then he apparently bombed the Jets interview. Marrones mannerisms hadn't endeared him to many around OBD and he knew it.

I think they had to know that a totally different defense was coming. That's what happens when you bring in a new HC that is a defensive guy and you are running the opposite system than he does. Can't imagine the Pegulas didn't know Rex is a 3-4 guy. Now, I doubt Ryan sold it as a potential regression, just that it would be different. If the owners are smart, they would not be surprised by some kind of adjustment and possibly a step back. If they were concerned about that, Schwartz would be the head coach. You don't run a 4-3 then hire a 3-4 head coach with the thought that he will run a 4-3. They obviously weren't concerned . The organization may have sold

themselves as a playoff ready team, but not sure why anyone would buy it. The team had no QB, and Brady / Belichick still rules the East . The bold talk was hyperbole to anyone paying attention. I wasn't surprised at the defense last year as I thought Rex will run a 3-4, the Bills probably don't have the LBs needed to run it, and Mario threw a hissy fit in Houston when asked to be in a 3-4. Can't imagine the owners or FO at OBD didn't suspect this as well.

I disagree. The FO remembers that the former Bills DC Mike Pettine was a Rex Ryan disciple who worked for the Jets as DC under Ryan before coming to Buffalo and he ran a one-gap 3-4 in 2013. I'm positive that the owners, Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley all thought they were getting another one-gap scheme coach much like Pettine was in Buffalo and like Wade Phillips or they simply wouldn't have hired Rex Ryan as HC. They didn't think they would need to retool the defense to fit Ryan's needs! It appears the man can't get anything other than his 3-4 to work and even then unless he has specific players it won't work.

Remember his words that he had never had this much talent on a defense before. This was the reason why Ryan attempted to run Schwartz's wide nine and the 4-3 quite a bit but the majority of the time he ran a two-gap run-stopping scheme that hamstrung the high priced pass rushers on that vaunted Bills D-line from 2014. The Bills D- linemen were more suited for all out rushing the passer and Ryan had them running gap control and dropping into pass coverage. In effect, he simply screwed up the best defense the team has had in a decade. Now he has the team drafting different players to fit his antiquated 3-4 two-gap scheme that few NFL teams run and it's what got his brother fired in New Orleans for running.

The thing is it takes no big change to the Bills roster to run a 3-4 one-gap except adding more linebackers. Jerry Hughes would be a perfect fit as would Mario if all he was asked to do is rush the passer, except he wasn't asked to rush the passer and instead was asked to cover two gaps!!