Here's the thing about this team that truly astonishes me:

Sure Marrone had his faults but as time goes on it will come to be realized he wasn't half bad coach. He had the team ready and they played hard, he was just void of talent to be overly successful. But again fans and media criticized his every move or non move because his team wasn't 16-0 and scoring 50 points a game and pitching shutouts and IMO it had a hand in driving him out of town. Welcome to Bills country.

Marrone is also unintelligent, had no concept of statistical analysis and was incapable of making smart decisions quickly. Besides that he was great (sarcasm).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey is an excellent football mind but doesn't quite have what it takes to be a successful head coach. There's something missing there. Not sure he commands respect from all of the players. Too nice, maybe? For example, his post-game locker room speeches always felt awkward.

I always liked Chan and think he has a knack for drawing up excellent offensive plays and calling them at the right time.

Remember his excellent use of the clock at the end of the game to beat the Patriots in Buffalo a few years ago? Belichick's head was going to explode, because he was beaten at his own game, and he couldn't handle it.

How many Bills coaches have done THAT?

We did. His name was Schwartz.

I agree, Schwartz would have been a good choice for coach when the Pegulas came in. He could have run a great defense and hired a decent OC. Coaching is the key to all of this. Even a mediocre QB can win the SB if he stays in the plan of an offense. I still think TT can succeed in this league but not if he is hamstrung by a crap OC or a scheme that doesn't play to his strengths or the skills of the people around him.

Think of teams like the Steelers and recently the hated Patriots. They have an established way of doing things and players come into the system and adapt to it. If they won't they aren't brought in and if they can't they're let go. Generally, no head cases, drug users, abusers, or screw-ups allowed.

Is this a joke?

I don't feel sorry for these billionaires who thought themselves smart enough to know which HC to hire on their own! And now either asked for or they allowed the firing of about the best OC the team has had in over a decade!

Unless of course, that Anthony Lynn is on their short list to replace the Ryan.

The Bills are one of the most mismanaged, poorly coached teams in the NFL. I feel bad for the Pegula's

wow Greg wondered why the Bears have been brutal for 25 years- it's the drafting of players. Your tenure there was not pretty- run out of town leaving a crappy track record behind. I'd pump the brakes on your bold statements because you have even less room to talk

Seeing too many fluff words in this thread

Identity

Foundation

Workable management system

Culture

It's all a bunch of crap. Have a good quarterback, creative schemes and game plans, make smart coaching decisions based on statistical analysis, and you'll win. Period.

All of those fancy fluff words come AFTER the wins. Not before. Those are the end result of success, not the cause.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Seeing too many fluff words in this thread

Identity

Foundation

Workable management system

Culture

It's all a bunch of crap. Have a good quarterback, creative schemes and game plans, make smart coaching decisions based on statistical analysis, and you'll win. Period.

All of those fancy fluff words come AFTER the wins. Not before. Those are the end result of success, not the cause.

And the Bills have any of that since 1999?

That is SO TRUE! I watched the Falcons-Raider game yesterday, and Matt Ryan was awesome. He has had his problems w red zone interceptions the past few years, and had a bad one yesterday. However, he was so in sync w his receivers, it was a beautiful thing to watch. And not just Julio Jones who is something special, but also their TE Jacob Tamme and his other secondary receivers. On just about every play he knew where every receiver would be on the play and always threw to the right one. The difference between him and TT was nite and day. You watch a good to sometimes very good QB, and compare to where Tyrod is and it is not even close.

(I have never understood what everyone including the Bills see in TT. He can not read defenses, and has no feel for running an offense. And his accuracy in throwing the football except for the deep pass is terrible. He is an excellent athlete, but not a QB. Cardale Jones has much more upside than TT will ever have.)

And the second point I got from watching Atl-Oak was how well prepared the Falcons were coming into Oakland. They had just lost their opener at home to TB, and their D played lousy. Going into Oakland against a Raider team coming off the big victory at NO at the end, you knew Oakland would be pumped. But Dan Quinn the coach of the Falcons had them so mentally ready, prepared and full of confidence from the opening kickoff, it was tremendous. The D did not play great, because they have a marginal front 7. But they played hard and stayed composed. And their O was terrific. Everyone was in sync. QB's O line, RB's TE, WR's. They all new what to do on every play. That is because the coaches had them prepared, and their QB leads the offense and knows what is expected of an NFL QB.

So in conclusion, coaching and a QB that has game poise and grit is what wins in the NFL. The Bills have not had either in a long time. When Cardale is given the reigns that will be a start. And when we get a real coach who understands the NFL game, and is not worried about tailgating at Clemson when his job is on the line, we will be on our way to better things. Until then, this raging tire fire that has become the Buffalo Bills may actually turn into a nuclear waste dump. God bless us all of us who continue to stick w this team. Because it sure aint easy.

There was a recent ESPN article where Matt Ryan basically admitted that he can't read defenses and looks for open spots on the field and looks to throws the ball to those areas....

I don't feel sorry for these billionaires who thought themselves smart enough to know which HC to hire on their own! And now either asked for or they allowed the firing of about the best OC the team has had in over a decade!

Unless of course, that Anthony Lynn is on their short list to replace the Ryan.

Not sure I necessarily feel bad for them either. The NFL did offer to help them find consultants and they turned them away...

The Bills are one of the most mismanaged, poorly coached teams in the NFL. I feel bad for the Pegula's

wow Greg wondered why the Bears have been brutal for 25 years- it's the drafting of players. Your tenure there was not pretty- run out of town leaving a crappy track record behind. I'd pump the brakes on your bold statements because you have even less room to talk

2 division titles (11-5 and 13-3) and a SB appearance in the middle of his run there, which lasted from mid-2001 through the 2009 season.

I always liked Chan and think he has a knack for drawing up excellent offensive plays and calling them at the right time.

Remember his excellent use of the clock at the end of the game to beat the Patriots in Buffalo a few years ago? Belichick's head was going to explode, because he was beaten at his own game, and he couldn't handle it.

I also remember a game against the titans in which Fitz was clueless about managing the clock and the play calls were abysmal. Chan was a decent OC and a crappy HC, as the guy couldn't get past 6-10 with Fitz. even Jauron did better with JP and Trent. BTW, Look at the receiver corps the Jets have all over 6'2'' and are big bodies, it's no wonder the Bills had a tough time defending them all game.

The Buffalo Bills are a failed organization covering about a 15 year span:

- Horrible drafts, they have not picked a successful first round draft pick in years and even worse look who we passed on

- Horrible coaching

- Horrible front office

If I'm Mr. Pegula I am looking for a football czar and getting ready to throw a match to the whole organization starting over as soon as possible. A losing culture is like cancer, and this team has it.

What astonishes me is the continued sell outs and watching many on this board go crazy over anyone's honest criticism - media or fan. In four months the coaching cycle will start yet again.

There's really only a handful that get offended at honest criticism. Blind optimism and 100% support of the organization is the only way to behave according to them.

I think what people get tired of is the constant criticism without any kind of other thought. For example the post you made this comment to: Horrible drafting, horrible coaching, light a match and burn it down, blah blah blah. Who the hell wants to hear that again?

The last QB with a winning record that was actually halfway decent since the Drew Bledsoe (9-7) days was Kyle Orton (7-5) and he ran for the bus like he had a grizzly on his arse. Of course, he was playing behind the very worst O-line in the league for most of that 2014 season with no run game help either.

2000 Rob Johnson 4-7, Doug Flutie 4-1

2001 Alex Van pelt 2-6, Rob Johnson 1-7

2002 Drew Bledsoe 8-8

2003 Drew Bledsoe 6-10

2004 Drew Bledsoe 9-7--now because the OC couldn't get Bledsoe to hurry his getting the ball out he was no longer wanted in Buffalo

2005 Kelly Holcomb 4-4, JP Losman 1-7

2006 JP Losman 7-9

2007 Trent Edwards 5-4, JP Losman 2-5

2008 Trent Edwards 7-7, JP Losman 0-2 this was the year that Trent's career was demolished by a concussion in week 5 after a 4-0 start to the season. This same year Brady was on IR after week one.

2009 Ryan Fitzpatrick 4-4, Trent Edwards 2-5, Brian Brohm 0-1

2010 Ryan Fitzpatrick 4-9, Trent Edwards 0-2, Brian Brohm 0-1

2011 Ryan Fitzpatrick 6-10 started this year 5-2 until Fitz was hammered in Washington and went on to play with broken ribs because Gailey was too lame to bench him to let him heal. center Eric Wood went on IR and the line was a joke

2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick 6-10 The Bills defense with George Edwards 2010-2011 was the worst and was just as bad with Wannstedt. The Bills were easy to beat with Gailey as HC and since the team felt they overpaid Fitz...

2013 EJ Manual 4-6, Thaddeus Lewis 2-3, Jeff Tuel 0-1 all basically rookies with no QB coach and some scrubs on the O-line.

2014 Kyle Orton 7-5, EJ Manuel 2-2. The Bills went pass happy this year 579 passing vs 402 rushing with the worst offensive line in the league. Two first round picks for a WR this OC would use as a decoy for a lot of the year.

2015 Tyrod Taylor 7-6, EJ Manuel 0-2. The Bills field the best run game in the league while allowing a young QB to develop

Fast forward to now to find the OC that had the Bills the best run game in the league and saw them field a top 10 O-line in the league in 2015 suddenly fired. Last year's offense was also #12 in points and #13 in yards.

From what I can gather the teams GM went to the owners with the complaint that Sammy wasn't getting the ball enough and the QB wasn't throwing downfield enough. The run game had also stopped working and the 2 min drill was non-existent. The QB wasn't reading the defense and making adjustments.

I can only surmise that the 2nd year starting QB's development time is over and the new OC will call for more downfield passing to Sammy and Clay. This will either make Tyrod a star or ruin him and we will see in a few days.

Wasn't Tyrod 8-6 (now 8-8)? Or are we not counting game 1 because of the first snap and only the first snap?

The NYG just did the same to NO yesterday.