Here's the thing about this team that truly astonishes me:

Top teams were routinely in the 30-35ppg range through each year. So it seems you are mostly right - middling or worse offenses for the last 16 years.

2016 23rd (19ppg)

2015 12th (23.7ppg)

2014 18th (21.4ppg)

2013 22nd (21.2ppg)

2012 21st (21.5ppg)

2011 14th (23.2ppg)

2010 28th (17.7ppg)

2009 28th (16.1ppg)

2008 23rd (21.0ppg)

2007 30th (15.8ppg)

2006 23rd (18.8ppg)

2005 24th (16.9ppg)

2004 7th (24.7ppg)

2003 30th (15.2ppg)

2002 11th (23.7ppg)

2001 27th (16.6ppg)

2000 20th (19.7ppg)

Pathetic

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRs, TEs, an OC who knows how to use his talent (except Chan, he just had no talent)

Chan's no-talent QB just whipped our butts, in case you missed it. To the tune of announcers explaining how he's thrown the most long passes over 20 yards of any QB in the NFL last season.

I am wondering why Rex hasn't announced that he is taking over the offensive duties. He is the boss. If he fires a guy for lousy performance and wants to fix things, why doesn't he fix them? I have a strong suspicion that he knows (better than Roman did) how to get production from Tyrod. And he could easily have his bro running the defense.

In his entire coaching career Rex has never tried to coach offense.

There may be a reason for that. A man's gotta know his limitations.

lack of a QB.

thats all there is to it

It's like that commercial with the passive aggressive work environment and somebody actually pays them a compliment and they don't know how to react

TSW just wouldn't know how to handle a successful team

good thing we wont have to worry about that for a couple more years

Under Chan Gaily.. The offence was good.. But the D was SOOO bad. Wanny as the DC? It was awful. This year tho, look like we're bad on both side of the ball.

I hated getting rid of Chan. I think he was the one coach we had who finally learned how to play against the Patriots so you could beat them.

And right after he got to the point where I felt like "yes..now I think this guy gets it" he got shitcanned. I really wish we could have / would have kept him longer and found a way to make that defense at least average.

Sure Marrone had his faults but as time goes on it will come to be realized he wasn't half bad coach. He had the team ready and they played hard, he was just void of talent to be overly successful. But again fans and media criticized his every move or non move because his team wasn't 16-0 and scoring 50 points a game and pitching shutouts and IMO it had a hand in driving him out of town. Welcome to Bills country.

Since 2000, they have been utterly incapable of fielding ANYTHING that approaches an excellent or even merely good offense. In this day and age how is that possible? In that span they've fielded some solid to very good defenses, however. Is it a matter of being unable to scout offensive players? I'm at a loss to explain it, even internally. Anyone here got any insight I may be missing?

The offense was objectively good last season, finishing 9th overall in DVOA. It is, however, the first time they've finished in the top half of the league since 1999.

What baffles me of how Rex Ryan, alleged defensive stalwart has taken a very good defense and consistently gone backwards... How Ryan Fitzpatrick had 3 100 yards receivers in one game.. Why Stephon Gilmore tackles like Deion Sanders...

Defense wins rings, I truly believe that. How we suck on Defense astonishes me.

What baffles me of how Rex Ryan, alleged defensive stalwart has taken a very good defense and consistently gone backwards... How Ryan Fitzpatrick had 3 100 yards receivers in one game.. Why Stephon Gilmore tackles like Deion Sanders...

Defense wins rings, I truly believe that. How we suck on Defense astonishes me.

I don't think defense is the key anymore in the nfl. The rules are tilted to the offense's favor in a big way.

3-4

Cover 2

3-4

4-3

3-4 hybrid

3-4 self-confusion

3-4 fully pregnant.

For the most part (not always), the offense has been the neglected child, addressed after the most current defensive scheme change is installed.

Add in some desperation no. 1 picks used on QB, rather than planning ahead..and a half finished OL..and you get what you get.

Last year's offense was the 2nd highest scoring offense this team has had since the drought,l tying the 2002 season.

But someone needed a scapegoat for the Fully Pregnant defense.

This!

These new owners should be making any decisions on the coaching staff during the season as that takes owners meddling to a new level and even Ralph Wilson was never that bad. He held his head coach accountable and allowed them to make the changes.

The one large key to not gaining any continuity over the last 16 is this team has had no senior football man making the correct decisions on how to properly build a winning team. Oh sure the owner as team president stepped down for a few years and didn't like the direction so he fired Tom Donahoe. Ole Tom was the only team president to ever replace Ralph Wilson mostly because Wilson needed to stay president for the salary he took from the job and that was a big reason that owner was more concerned about the team making a profit over winning.

When the late owner health started to decline he made the marketing / financial man CEO of the team and allowed him full control and that tells you why the football side has been so dysfunctional over the last six years. No senior football man running the org so the team keeps changing schemes and players to fit those schemes.

Meanwhile, the current GM attempted to have the offense develop some rookie QB's with no QB coach, no veteran QB on the roster and with the very worst offensive line in the league in 2013 - 2014. It was joke who the GM kept attempting to replace a decent OG in Andy Levitre with. The O-line is still only half way built with very little quality depth.

This GM has overpaid for three stars because he and his scouts can't find quality offensive talent in the draft at RB, TE and WR. With little or no quality talent behind those three.

This team will continue to be a dysfunctional mess until these new owners take themselves and any other non-football men out of the football decisions and hire a team president of football operations that has some experience in building a winning franchise!

Sure Marrone had his faults but as time goes on it will come to be realized he wasn't half bad coach. He had the team ready and they played hard, he was just void of talent to be overly successful. But again fans and media criticized his every move or non move because his team wasn't 16-0 and scoring 50 points a game and pitching shutouts and IMO it had a hand in driving him out of town. Welcome to Bills country.

Disagree. You are correct, he prepared well.

But he was a stubborn fool.

I was quite fond of Gailey. Still am actually. Ralph really cheaped on the DC though.