Here's the thing about this team that truly astonishes me:

Since 2000, they have been utterly incapable of fielding ANYTHING that approaches an excellent or even merely good offense. In this day and age how is that possible? In that span they've fielded some solid to very good defenses, however. Is it a matter of being unable to scout offensive players? I'm at a loss to explain it, even internally. Anyone here got any insight I may be missing?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lack of a QB.

WRs, TEs, an OC who knows how to use his talent (except Chan, he just had no talent)

They've gone up and down, when the offense is good the D is bad and vice versa. Can never seem to be solid in all three phases.

This

a good Oline across the board would help too, not just a couple here and there.

Since 2000, they have been utterly incapable of fielding ANYTHING that approaches an excellent or even merely good offense. In this day and age how is that possible? In that span they've fielded some solid to very good defenses, however. Is it a matter of being unable to scout offensive players? I'm at a loss to explain it, even internally. Anyone here got any insight I may be missing?

Chan and Fitz had a perfectly fine offense their first year and a half.

Lack of identity. Are they a running offense that throws? A passing offense than runs? Who's the marquee player they rely on? Where's the threat that other teams have to game-plan to stop? When a play blows up, who does everyone know is going to make the play or hold everyone accountable?

Lack of identity. Are they a running offense that throws? A passing offense than runs? Who's the marquee player they rely on? Where's the threat that other teams have to game-plan to stop? When a play blows up, who does everyone know is going to make the play or hold everyone accountable?

Is that a symptom or a cause?

To be fair, one of the Drew Bledsoe seasons had a great offense with Moulds and Peerless Price both topping 1000 yards and Travis Henry was a beast on the ground

Yep. That is what immediately came to mind for me too. What was that white haired offensive coordinator we had that loved to sling the ball constantly? That's right. Kevin Gilbride. He was an aggressive play caller who believed in the pure pocket passer gun slinger game.

Is that a symptom or a cause?

Symptom. Root Cause is the entire organizational instability...

Lack of a GM with full authority and a vision they are empowered to execute. The better coaches we had are able to build a scheme around the talent, but were never able to execute well in all 3 phases at the same time. Part of that was poor personnel decisions, part of that is the turnover in coaches, part of that is the players we bring in. Someone else said it best in another thread; there is no cohesive vision and we are just playing fantasy football. Collecting talent but don't have a true blueprint for what we are trying to be. If we do it is very poorly communicated, and it is poorly executed as well.

I do like Whaley but he either needs full control or has to be dumped for someone who has it (preferably someone with experience in a good organization who can duplicate some processes).

We have had some real bozos for HCs, but I do think Chan could have succeeded if he was able to get a Schwartz/Pettine with the right players. I have a feeling they are trying to do this with Rex, but I'm not sure he is the right coach at this time for this.