God Bless Sully

Rico

hes been saying this team is terrible for years. He's expressed his opinions about EJ, Dareus, Stevie, Fitz, Etc...

He's actually ALWAYS been right. For years we've hated him because we have rose colored glasses on. But in reality, he's always been right all along.

It sucks to say that. And I'm sure it sucks just as much to hear it. But sit back and think about all the times you hated Sully for what he's said. But the fact is we have sucked for the past 16 years and he's been right about that as far as I can remember

The few times he has been wrong were the times he got suckered into thinking the Bills were on the right track: At one point, he felt Fitz was the answer at QB and supported his new contract, and I believe he was fully on board with the Rex hire. Being wrong about those things has made him even more skeptical, and rightly so.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God bless Sully?!?

I wish for God's blessings for a lot of people . . . Sully is not among them.

Sully is The People's Writer.

The people's writer . . . the people who whinge on sports radio and on this site . . . most of whom (not all) are keyboard jockeys like Sullen who probably never played football.

God bless Sully?!?

I wish for God's blessings for a lot of people . . . Sully is not among them.

The people's writer . . . the people who whinge on sports radio and on this site . . . most of whom (not all) are keyboard jockeys like Sullen who probably never played football.

I have no problem with those who disagree with Sully's takes... but I also won't apologize for having much higher standards.

I have no problem with those who disagree with Sully's takes... but I also won't apologize for having much higher standards.

I never would have thought to use the phrase "higher standards" and Sully in the same sentence.

The few times he has been wrong were the times he got suckered into thinking the Bills were on the right track: At one point, he felt Fitz was the answer at QB and supported his new contract, and I believe he was fully on board with the Rex hire. Being wrong about those things has made him even more skeptical, and rightly so.

Yeah, it's amazing. I understand optimistic fans ripping Sully because they thought we were on the right track, yet Sully remained resolutely negative. But now? The Bills recent history has proven him right! He was prophetic. Fire him! Plus ... how many discussions on this board or anywhere else about the great positive writings of some scribe somewhere ... Sully's opinions generate interest, circulation, clicks on the BN website ... that's kind of a newpaper writer's bread and butter.

My absolute favorite Sully story is from Janine Talley about the aftermath of Sully pissing off Talley with one of his comments. When they played in a Buffalo News Charity Basketball game, Talley had Kent Hull relentlessly set pick plays against Sully with Kent Hull throwing "an elbow or twelve". I reluctantly grant some respect to a guy who was willing to go up against pro athletes he'd criticized in a physical game.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I get a kick on the constant and almost weekly threads devoted to Sullivan. for years now. And no doubt he reads them and loves it.

He is not the first and won't be the last columnist to have this writng style. Why? because it drives people nuts, sells papers, and generates clicks.but more importantly for him it is a source of income. for the few that "refuse" to read his stuff I can say this you are in the minority. Why? a LOT of fans know he is right. A lot of fans like the controversy he generates with almost every article he prints. A lot of fans dislike him but read his stuff all the time. then they start silly threads and unknowingly promote his dribble.

I can care less either way. I read his stuff like most people. A few years ago maybe as far back as Trent Edwards. Sullivan was tweeting from the booth at the Ralph during games. I followed him too see what he would put out there.I will say this about his gameday tweets back then. And I have no idea if he still does it. But Sulivan was as big of a Bills homer as any of the hall of fame homers who grace this board. He was positive and rooted big time for his team the Buffaloy yBills. it was a stark contrast to his BN articles.

Among others using this writing style.Maybe he stole his routine from a guy named Joel Selvin. who was a San Francisco music critic. He was one of the first too make a good living chitting on people mainly rock musicans. their shows, their albums they always sucked. He was hated but on page 1 of the entertainment section every day. Today he is a best selling author. I take Sullivan for exactly what he is entertainment writng for a small city rag.

I expect no less than 10 more sully threads till this season of pain mercifully ends after week 17. I am sure Sully thanks all of the people that contribute to his legacy. For the record I may read his dribble I never said I agree. I am amazed watching men on a message board get their panty's in a wad over a opinion writer. But give medicore talent like Whaley a pass year after year. And brag about all the talent on the roster that Whaley brought in. There are threads on either page 1 oe 2 on this forum right now that accurately name this talent/players. in reality it is not as good as it looks like on paper. The teams record every year prove it.Oops forgot the Bills are the only team in the NFL that deal with the injury bug excuse.

Let it go. the guy in regards to the Bills on the field play is right way more than he is wrong. Is he disliked on OBD? nope he is effin hated there and he knows it. are his takes on owners, coaches, etc. sometmes spiteful? yep because he is a douche and knows how to piss people off. Because that's how he earns his paychecks.

For those who are saying Sully has always been right: He started around 1987. He was negative from Day One.

For those who think he is not an ahole - look how he makes back to back sentences here that contradict himself:

Presumably, he'll be more comfortable with Lynn, who is said to be more of a run-first coach than Roman (though he wasn't exactly working miracles with the backs this year). The Bills did lead the NFL in rushing last season with Roman in charge, but why let facts get in the way of an old Rex buddy?

He blames Lynn for not producing rushing yards this year, but credits Roman for leading the league last year. All because this was an anti-Pegula and therefore a forced pro-Roman article.

Is he this stupid - or does he expect nobody to pick up on it?

thisbisbwjere I'm at. At some point you just have to get past the hatred for Sully for expressing his pessimism towards the team, and just realize that he's right. Has been right. And u fortunately, is showing to be right all the time. It's not just about the Bills records over the years, it's about coaches, players, FO, etc.

It really hurts me to say it because I hate that Boston prick

I guess admitting Sully is always right is the first step in making the Bills better.

The problem I have with Sully's takes is that he just follows fashion and he never acknowledges or admits it when he's 180 degrees off. Example: when Fitz was hot early one season, the Bills were stupid for not giving him a contract and locking him up. Then it was a good thing when they offered him a contract, it was fair to both sides. Then Fitz fizzled and it was a horrible stupid contract that was extended prematurely. I'm waiting, if Fitz keeps lighting it up for the Jets letting him walk will become one more example of the Bill Franchise short-sightedness and dysfunction. I could pick numerous other topics where he's unapologetically and with no acknowledgement done similar 180 degree flips.

So yeah, he's right a lot of the time, but is that really an accomplishment when you're an equal opportunity negativist unabashedly working both sides of the fence as the wind changes? Even a busted clock tells correct time twice a day. Here's an example. Before the game, Fitz was gonna get his ass whupped by Rex's D. "That’s what the numbers say, and the numbers are beyond dispute." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/14/numbers-say-fitz-fails-against-rexs-defenses/(Trigger warning: Sullivan piece). After the game, "we can stop any talk about Rex Ryan having Fitz number" http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/15/fitz-carves-bills-gets-redemption/ (Trigger warning: another Sullivan piece). That's you and the mouse in your pocket, right Jerry?

The other thing I hate about Sully is that he spins a lot of BS columns off his own inferences or opinions. It stands out even trying to see-and-avoid Sullivan columns from TBD. Example: "'I assume the Bills were desperate to have Watkins on the field for the start of the season." Then he goes on to spin a whole narrative around this assumption of desperation, where the Occum's Razor interpretation would be the Bills thought Watkins was ready to roll and Watkins thought he was ready to roll and his foot disagreed with him. If it's not a structural issue such as a re-fracture or a tear, that's really not some thing it's easy to predict will happen. Also, frankly, I doubt the Bills started the season thinking their offense was gonna suck, and totally blow chunks without Watkins. Quite the contrary. But it makes a column.

For those who are saying Sully has always been right: He started around 1987. He was negative from Day One.

For those who think he is not an ahole - look how he makes back to back sentences here that contradict himself:

Presumably, he'll be more comfortable with Lynn, who is said to be more of a run-first coach than Roman (though he wasn't exactly working miracles with the backs this year). The Bills did lead the NFL in rushing last season with Roman in charge, but why let facts get in the way of an old Rex buddy?

He blames Lynn for not producing rushing yards this year, but credits Roman for leading the league last year. All because this was an anti-Pegula and therefore a forced pro-Roman article.

Is he this stupid - or does he expect nobody to pick up on it?

Sully started before that. I think he was here for the 2-14 seasons. But he did the same flip schtick then - gloom-and-doom when the Bills would get their annual butt-kicking, I always said we were better than people thought when we won.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Every major sports city has a sullivan. Brings a cynical point of view and riles people up. I think sullivan is a talented writer for the most part and usually makes good points.

The problem i have is when the rest of tbn writers get over the top and adversarial. It was getting bad there for awhile with harrington, sullivan, gleason, even graham joining in.

Ultimately, i strongly believe all these guys want to see the bills do well. Im sure they are sick of the current "mode" of the team and covering a dull 5-8 win team year after year after year.... if the bills (and sabres) are good, this region goes insane and consumes every single thing. They would get much more "clicks" as well as national attention. They also have many many good friends and relatives who are fans and im sure they do wish for better things