Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

Some times players just have phenomenal games. I understand that Fitz is somewhat of a punchline around here, but you don't get to be a streaky QB without catching fire every once in a while. He did big time on TNF and he never cooled off. Pair that with a very big, talented, veteran savvy receiving corps and two CBs that timed their worst collective performance juuuuuuuust right and then suddenly, yes, stopping Fitz was impossible.

If we would have played more zone coverage...dropped our LBs deeper in to coverage and actually have safeties play where they are supposed to...maybe Fitz doesn't have all that open space to throw to....Darby and Gilmore had decent coverage most of the night...sometimes good coverage....but hard to cover man to man all night long with no help......if you do not want to rush the QB you drop more players in to coverage

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we would have played more zone coverage...dropped our LBs deeper in to coverage and actually have safeties play where they are supposed to...maybe Fitz doesn't have all that open space to throw to....Darby and Gilmore had decent coverage most of the night...sometimes good coverage....but hard to cover man to man all night long with no help......if you do not want to rush the QB you drop more players in to coverage

That was probably the most frustrating part.....they were right there on many occasions and still gave up big plays! If they'd been fooled or stumbled it would have been bad, but this was worse! You'd think a few of those would go our way, especially after the beginning that Fitz had.

Edited by Augie

It's easy to buy the Pegulas are meddlesome narrative because that's so easy to believe.

And yet, even when Terry comes out and openly says Rex has oversight over team and staff, it barely moves the meter. And I mean barely.

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in the "media" for being lazy, or disappointed in some Bills fans for accepting lazy journalism.

Not one "national" reporter reached out to the Pegulas for a comment on "the Pegulas fired Roman" story.

Not one.

And even Rappaport's story was incredulous given his leap of logic, as in: "Sources tell me Pegulas met with players behind closed doors, without Rex so I must assume he wasn't involved on the decision."

That's just plane irresponsible journalism.

And yet, it is adopted as being written-in-stone-cold-hard-fact.

Shameful.

jw

I take all their crap with a gain of salt... Thanks for chiming in and keeping the facts straight, as always!!! Very much appreciated

Bro, what about the dancing and waving. The guy probably weighs between 340 and 350 lbs.

Are you really going to tell me that you approve of the way our 350 million dollar front 4 was used last season?

Of course not.

I know you like to be accurate, so I was merely pointing out that he didn't drop into coverage often; it was rare.

You know I'm not a Rex guy.

your take on all of this organization pre game was so different than any opinions written. Was a fresh air to the whole situation. There wasn't much you opened up on and no insider info but your optimism of Rex was surprising.

I missed that part of the conversation as I had to tend a grill... Can you enlighten me?

Not sure how you define "often", but just for reference, Dareus dropped into coverage a total of 5 times in 2015.http://www.cover1.net/2016/02/20161212015-bills-defensive-study-defensive-line/

So true. This narrative about dropping back in coverage was so overblown. Every team in the NFL has defensive looks that send DLs into coverage once in awhile. Mario whined about this all year. I recall him whining after a game and WGR looked at the film . They said Mario dropped back one time into coverage that day. Ridiculous. He is a known complainer about doing anything other than rushing the passer. He dogged it so badly last year that writers from other cities newspapers ( Dallas comes to mind) picked up on his embarrassing display of not giving a $h@t

No matter how you slice that scenario, whether it's Roman, TT, or a combination of both, it reeks of amateur hour. When you DELIBERATELY remove half of the operating space for your offense, especially against NFL caliber athletes on defense, it is over. You can get the occasional big play, but conceding half the field to the defense just makes you so much easier to defend. For me, it keeps coming back to "Make him be a quarterback."

You will NEVER take what you want unless you can take what the defense gives you first. It's beyond frustrating.

so why the heck did they give him that money? Someone really needs to esplain that one to me. There was no good reason to do that unless they believed in him to show significant progress as compared to the regression we are watching.

And no one had better tell me its an opt out clause.

NO reason to pay him at all.

BTW i am not a Tyrod hater at all. I wish him to be our guy. But wishing doesn't win games

A-freaking-men. :beer:

And wasn't TT one of the guys throwing #OVERTHEMIDDLE all summer? Now that's just mysteriously gone? Frustrating.

Got all JJ Watted and wizzed himself. boy aint right

so why the heck did they give him that money? Someone really needs to esplain that one to me. There was no good reason to do that unless they believed in him to show significant progress as compared to the regression we are watching.

And no one had better tell me its an opt out clause.

NO reason to pay him at all.

BTW i am not a Tyrod hater at all. I wish him to be our guy. But wishing doesn't win games

Got all JJ Watted and wizzed himself. boy aint right

Damned good question, 3rd. But I don't believe Roman or any other NFL OC would devise schemes that deliberately removed has his operating space from the equation. Things are tight enough as it is with the entire field to work with given how good these athletes are. This isn't college where you can get away with that. I just don't buy it. The basic assumption is an NFL starter can and must have the entire field at his disposal. Which leads me back to TT and "making him be a quarterback."

So true. This narrative about dropping back in coverage was so overblown. Every team in the NFL has defensive looks that send DLs into coverage once in awhile. Mario whined about this all year. I recall him whining after a game and WGR looked at the film . They said Mario dropped back one time into coverage that day. Ridiculous. He is a known complainer about doing anything other than rushing the passer. He dogged it so badly last year that writers from other cities newspapers ( Dallas comes to mind) picked up on his embarrassing display of not giving a $h@t

I think he was more mad about setting the edge and not rushing the passer. In Rexs scheme the pressure comes from the LBs and blitzin DBs rather than the Dline. So I understand Mario being pissy because #1 we didnt have the LB horses to make it work, #2 half the teams $$ is invested in a line that was notorious for pressuring the QB and now is asked to set the edge and take up blocks while our piss poor LB core had to bring the pressure. Its not an excuse for his attitude but I understand the frustration.

I think he was more mad about setting the edge and not rushing the passer. In Rexs scheme the pressure comes from the LBs and blitzin DBs rather than the Dline. So I understand Mario being pissy because #1 we didnt have the LB horses to make it work, #2 half the teams $$ is invested in a line that was notorious for pressuring the QB and now is asked to set the edge and take up blocks while our piss poor LB core had to bring the pressure. Its not an excuse for his attitude but I understand the frustration.

Any reasonable football person understand the frustration, as any competitive personality. as we most likely all are here cannot accept half effort.

I do not care for my job much mostly. But i work hard at it. Truth.

Any reasonable football person understand the frustration, as any competitive personality. as we most likely all are here cannot accept half effort.

I do not care for my job much mostly. But i work hard at it. Truth.

I feel ya. Dividing the locker room was one of the worst things that happened last season. At least our team isnt throwing TT under the bus like the Skins are doing to Cousins.

Damned good question, 3rd. But I don't believe Roman or any other NFL OC would devise schemes that deliberately removed has his operating space from the equation. Things are tight enough as it is with the entire field to work with given how good these athletes are. This isn't college where you can get away with that. I just don't buy it. The basic assumption is an NFL starter can and must have the entire field at his disposal. Which leads me back to TT and "making him be a quarterback."

We shall see K.

I might think , the main reason Roman is gone was his handling of Tyrod. Not the run game and not receivers timing routes, but what he asked and expected of Taylor.

But because of all the other faces in the room. Palmer, Lee , Lal and such , i find it hard to believe Roman was not listening to all of them and they each agreed pre season the method.

I feel ya. Dividing the locker room was one of the worst things that happened last season. At least our team isnt throwing TT under the bus like the Skins are doing to Cousins.

Not yet. and not that we know. Woods and Watkins have plenty reason.

Marty you might be closer to the truth than you realize.

you saw the 3 man rush didn't you ?

That was probably the most frustrating part.....they were right there on many occasions and still gave up big plays! If they'd been fooled or stumbled it would have been bad, but this was worse! You'd think a few of those would go our way, especially after the beginning that Fitz had.

and this is why we got killed. CBs just could not make the plays. all night though

So unless someone can prove a negative you will continue to think that Rex makes good plans and adjustments?

Not since his mom has someone used such a forgiving standard with Rex.

Big Cat always sides with the coach. He's a management-over-labor guy.

No. I have read and heard analysis from people who actually break down the film (Sal, Eric Turner, Yards Per Pass). None of them came away saying the scheme was to blame. Each of them detailed the changes that were made. Each of them said the players got beat. I read these analysis, I listened to them.

I asked Performer to provide analyses to the contrary. He was incapable of doing so.

And yet he's certain the scheme was to blame. I've yet to read his tape analysis, though. I simply asked for a link.

Also this.

Since Rex has gotten here his defense has been extremely inconsistent and for the most part bad considering where it came from with Schwartz. Your constant excuse making for his coaching is beyond ridiculous.

Coaching wasn't the problem on Thursday. I've pointed to numerous, thorough analyses that indicate so. What have you pointed to, besides your navel?

Coaching wasn't the problem on Thursday. I've pointed to numerous, thorough analyses that indicate so. What have you pointed to, besides your navel?

I respectfully disagree.....playing man coverage with no safety help and LBs not dropping deeper in to coverage was not working, yet we stayed in the same defense all night. Fitz had open lanes to throw the whole game.

I am sorry if your players are consistently getting beat - which your analysts have confirmed - then good coaches do something to change it. To say coaching "wasn't the problem" on Thursday is frankly incredible to me.