Doug Whaley- Failure to Field a Competitive Roster

jethro_tull

Last night was the nail in the coffin for Doug Whaley IMHO. He has failed to man a roster that is competitive within our division. The most blatant example is our relatively short corners trying to defend against the Jets towering receivers. Same issue with the Patriots that feature a fast tall tight end. Same with the Dolphins.

An 8" height advantage for a receiver or TE is simply ridiculous. Most QBs in the league could complete passes to the Jets receivers vs. the Bills corners.

Coaching did all they could to defense against the Jets offense - employing (7) DBs at one point.

The accountability for the Bills performance lies with the GM.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't control their misuse on game day. This roster has plenty of talent, that isn't the issue.

Really? My proprietary analytical projections that I do every year for fun has them around a 5-11 team and after the draft boosted their win record to 5.5 wins.

Doug Whaley is a complete failure as a GM. Ruined the roster and ruined the salary cap at the same time.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Can't control their misuse on game day. This roster has plenty of talent, that isn't the issue.

With all due respect, Vince Lombardi could not coach the Bills defensive roster to cover the Jets receivers. It was the most ridiculously lop sided personnel matchup I have ever seen.

Last night was the nail in the coffin for Doug Whaley IMHO. He has failed to man a roster that is competitive within our division. The most blatant example is our relatively short corners trying to defend against the Jets towering receivers. Same issue with the Patriots that feature a fast tall tight end. Same with the Dolphins.

An 8" height advantage for a receiver or TE is simply ridiculous. Most QBs in the league could complete passes to the Jets receivers vs. the Bills corners.

Coaching did all they could to defense against the Jets offense - employing (7) DBs at one point.

Yep, there was a time when players weren't just drafted only because of positional need. But because they needed a player skilled

to directly compete/shut down with a division rivals very good skill player(s) LIke getting someone with the proper size, speed, etc. too deal with Gronk. Successfully. Hopefully forcing the hoodie to game plan for that player as opposed to exploiting the division rivals defensive weaknesses and Gronk gets to play his game. because if he remains healthy the Bills will deal with him for years to come. I don't remember in recent drafts anything mentioned that we got this player to shut down ________ __________ who we play 2x a year. And oh yea they have owned us for 15 years.

How about the roster that went 9-7? That's what he assembled. Whaley didn't fk that up.

That said, I'm still down with getting rid of him. Tear it down all the way and build it up with fresh faces and talent.

Guaranteed that if we had a DB corps full of Shermans people would be complaining about them getting undressed by New England's army of shifty slot guys. Backseat Internet GM ftw amirite?

I thought there was a lot of talent on the team after the 2014 season outside of QB(which is obviously crucial).

Unfortunately the next seasons the coaches had no idea how to utilize it(mostly on defense) and evntually we lost some of that talent to fit what our head coach wants and here we are.

The coaching staff is the big issue. Hell all you have to do is look at the Jets and see how much better prepared and coached they are without our current moron there.

A - phucking - men.

Cant control an owner who decides to hire a head coach that forces Whaley to deplete depth and change over pieces on Defense, neither.

Cant control an owner who decides to hire a head coach that forces Whaley to deplete depth and change over pieces on Defense, neither.

That is the weird thing about hiring Rex period. Getting a transcript of those interviews with ownership, Whaley, Brandon, etc. would be gold.

Because I really doubt Rex said yep if you hire me I will need to tear down a big part of this excellant defense so I can install my defense. That would not have been good. ending with a " thank you for your time,Mr. Ryan."

IMO it was more like Rex saying: What a dream defense I will inherit if you hire me. Almost every piece of the D is in place. Eff being number 4 in the league I will have these guys #1. Prompting someone in the room too say "don't let this guy out of the room" Since it has been reported somewhere Rex really was looking at Atlanta and S.F. for his next gig.

Second post like this in under 12 hours on the board.

Shows more that posters don't study any other teams' rosters like they do ours. Parity is the name of the game in the NFL, and the only differences between our roster and the winning teams' are Coach and QB. There may be some a bit more talented, and some a bit less talented, but outside of Coach and QB, this is about as good as it gets in the modern NFL. Just have to utilize it properly.

Second post like this in under 12 hours on the board.

Shows more that posters don't study any other teams' rosters like they do ours. Parity is the name of the game in the NFL, and the only differences between our roster and the winning teams' are Coach and QB. There may be some a bit more talented, and some a bit less talented, but outside of Coach and QB, this is about as good as it gets in the modern NFL. Just have to utilize it properly.

sorry the difference between the jets and the Bills was talent. If that wasn't apparent. I don't know what too say. Not simply QB's and coaching. In fact not many here would say even after two crap Bills games anyone would swap Fitz for Tyrod.

Really? My proprietary analytical projections that I do every year for fun has them around a 5-11 team and after the draft boosted their win record to 5.5 wins.

Doug Whaley is a complete failure as a GM. Ruined the roster and ruined the salary cap at the same time.

Your "proprietary analysis" is not a measure of the credibility of your assessment. I can develop a multivariate regression model to support my arguments too, that's no measure of the validity of such an argument.

If you think this roster is ruined, just say so because your self aggrandizing implication of statistical prowess absent published results is amateur.

Whaley? You point the finger at Whaley when the King of Clowns head coach walks the sidelines? Can't coach a defense, can't coach an offense, undisciplined play, disorganization, empty bluster, confusion, terrible clock management. Takes a number four defense and drives it into the ditch in a single season. His solution: he hires his failure brother to coach the defense, and when it gives up 500 yards of offense to a mediocre team he fires the OC.

Yeah, it's all about Whaley.

Edited by Dr. K