Head Coaching Candidates

yungmack

I, and many of us around here, have for some time been expecting Rex to be fired. The more cautious sorts have favored the "give him some more time and let's see if he can fix this" approach. I believe that's been the Pegula's stance, because they believe in organizational stability which, if you have the right people, is the sensible method. And I think they also felt that Rex could turn things around, particularly with the defense, which was his biggest failure last season. In fairness, it does seem somewhat better based on yesterday's performance. But after yesterday's abysmal performance by the Bills in almost all other areas -- coaching confusion, game planning, continuing lack of discipline, player preparation -- and the many off-season problems leading to suspensions given and maybe more coming, I have to think that the Pegula's are at the very least at this moment considering a coaching change, if not now then after this season at the latest.

With that in mind, I would like to invite anyone who is really good at identifying potential HC candidates to weigh in here. I am not one of those people. I'd like to hear from the sort of person who can identify a Bruce Arians, a Mike McCarthy languishing away, or even can make the case why a first rate coordinator such as a Wade Phillips would NOT be ideal as a head coach. Maybe it's someone in college, though most of those who've come into the NFL have flopped spectacularly. Could be there's a former NFL guy who's gone into college coaching and is redeeming himself, a la Pete Carroll. In any case, it's beyond my limited knowledge. So if any of you have suggestions, I'm certain many of us would like to hear them.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like QB's. If they were that easy to find, everyone would have one. I'd be willing to trade picks for a head coach, but doubt we would get any takers.

I sincerely doubt we would even listen, but I would write a blank check to Harbaugh in Michigan

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If we are a bottom feeder this year, then go make Jim Harbaugh the highest paid coach in football. If he balks, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia or a highly touted college coach who throws the ball a lot and understands that this is a passing league.

I'm inclined to take an offensive guy. Of the current NFL OC's, the one guy I'm intrigued by is Jim Bob Cooter. He's only 32 but he's got Matt Stafford playing some of the best football of his career.

Same predicament with Dowell Loggains in Chicago. Only 35 but between him and Adam Gase, they got a very solid year out of Jay Cutler.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I'm inclined to take an offensive guy. Of the current NFL OC's, the one guy I'm intrigued by is Jim Bob Cooter. He's only 32 but he's got Matt Stafford playing some of the best football of his career.

Same predicament with Dowell Loggains in Chicago. Only 35 but between him and Adam Gase, they got a very solid year out of Jay Cutler.

Jim Bob Cooter, I forgot about him. Goes to show how much offensive strategy and coaching can really make a difference.

It's like QB's. If they were that easy to find, everyone would have one. I'd be willing to trade picks for a head coach, but doubt we would get any takers.

I sincerely doubt we would even listen, but I would write a blank check to Harbaugh in Michigan

Harbaugh is sort of a jerk who alienates everyone around him. No thanks.

I'm not a fan of mid-season replacements because you limit your choices. They made a gigantic mistake hiring Rex but he gets his full two years and then bye.

If we are a bottom feeder this year, then go make Jim Harbaugh the highest paid coach in football. If he balks, Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia or a highly touted college coach who throws the ball a lot and understands that this is a passing league.

No Pats assistants. Geez haven't you seen enough of that to know?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Harbaugh is sort of a jerk who alienates everyone around him. No thanks.

I'm not a fan of mid-season replacements because you limit your choices. They made a gigantic mistake hiring Rex but he gets his full two years and then bye.

No Pats assistants. Geez haven't you seen enough of that to know?

Yea and Pete Carroll was twice an NFL failure until he got another shot. Belichick was a terrible head coach until he got a second chance. Say what you will about McDaniels but he knows how to run a passing attack in the current NFL climate.

If they bottom out

1. Purge the front office and start anew. If Brandon needs to stay, he is business only and has no contact or influence with football ops. Zero. No draft rooms, cut meetings, on the field at training camp arguing with coaches, commenting to the media about the makeup of the roster.

2. Bring new leader of the football program. Someone who has experience in a winning program, but also is in tune with modern times, advanced stats, risk management, etc. Maybe hire Polian or someone of the like from outside the organization to help identify candidates for interview.

3. New football president carefully select head coach. Long term commitment. Will be able to remain through bad years, as the fans, media, and ownership will understand. Like the Sabres, people will generally undestand and support an intelligent full-rebuild. The systems will be able to be installed and take root. Players will be scouted and brought in to custom fit the system.

4. Sell off anything you can within reason for picks.

5. Unless you know its an andrew luck/payton manning slam dunk, trade down, and trade down again.

6. Spend a lot of resources in QB search. High and low for the next 2 years. Will probably finish bad for a few seasons so basically pick of the litter. If not drafting a QB, trade down. Quantity.

Edited by May Day 10

If they bottom out

1. Purge the front office and start anew. If Brandon needs to stay, he is business only and has no contact or influence with football ops. Zero. No draft rooms, cut meetings, on the field at training camp arguing with coaches, commenting to the media about the makeup of the roster.

2. Bring new leader of the football program. Someone who has experience in a winning program, but also is in tune with modern times, advanced stats, risk management, etc. Maybe hire Polian or someone of the like from outside the organization to help identify candidates for interview.

3. New football president carefully select head coach. Long term commitment. Will be able to remain through bad years, as the fans, media, and ownership will understand. Like the Sabres, people will generally undestand and support an intelligent full-rebuild. The systems will be able to be installed and take root. Players will be scouted and brought in to custom fit the system.

4. Sell off anything you can within reason for picks.

5. Unless you know its an andrew luck/payton manning slam dunk, trade down, and trade down again.

6. Spend a lot of resources in QB search. High and low for the next 2 years. Will probably finish bad for a few seasons so basically pick of the litter. If not drafting a QB, trade down. Quantity.

1 - Brandon needs to go yesterday... even before whaley or rex. He's part of that toxic ralph regime that was all about money.

2 - Good luck... qualified candidates aren't unemployed.

3 - Tough to find. Coaches in the NFL are measured on championship success, not innovation. If you won one, you can keep getting jobs. They also have to want to coach in buffalo, which is a problem.

4 - There isn't a ton of value in this. In the NFL where only portions of contracts are guaranteed, teams would rather keep their picks and bid on free agents.

5 - I believe in this mantra mostly because most of the teams who are good year in, and year out did not bottom out/tank.

6 - We just drafted a QB project. We do need someone to suit up next year - this isn't something we can readily address right off the bat. TT will probably be back like it or not.

I'd say give Rex another year TBH. he's coached us for 17 games.