Regarding the Kaepernick discussion...

SDS

Honestly, I did not follow the discussion as it just doesn't interest me. But, as with most political discussions and with everyone's claim on the truth - apparently things got out of hand.

"The mods" are not a monolithic entity. We are not "the borg" and we do not share one view. Every one of us is different and has different styles. Unfortunately, this can manifest itself as a certain level of unevenness when addressing issues on the forums - real and/or perceived.

Complaints about this unevenness are probably justified, but what I do ask everyone to keep in mind is that I think most everyone here is a good person and any actions taken by the mods is generally taken in the spirit of trying to do the "right thing". Obviously, that's a subjective measure and not everyone will agree with the result on every intervention. I do ask disagreeable parties to put our discussions here into perspective and seek to deescalate situations, rather than make a situation more volatile. Public policy will not change based on our discussions, so opinions expressed should be taken with a grain of salt. I assure you - political opinions expressed here will have no measurable impact on your life. However, the friendships formed can/will impact you in a positive way.

While we will discuss the issue offline and see how it can be handled better in the future, my general sense of situations like this are that they are tricky to handle. It's a political discussion, but taken place on the field and, for better or worse, dominating the conversation (while we all await the magical preseason game #4). I can understand why it was being discussed on the main board. I also understand that such a topic that mixes football and social issues can quickly leave the football behind. At that point, personal judgment comes into play and not everyone will agree with that judgment.

I think one can make the case for leaving the topic on the main board or for eventually moving it to PPP (whether it be page 20 or page 72), but I don't think there is a "right" answer here.

If anyone has a specific complaint, please send me a note. Otherwise, please let that water move along under the bridge.

Thanks.

Honestly, I did not follow the discussion as it just doesn't interest me. But, as with most political discussions and with everyone's claim on the truth - apparently things got out of hand.

"The mods" are not a monolithic entity. We are not "the borg" and we do not share one view. Every one of us is different and has different styles. Unfortunately, this can manifest itself as a certain level of unevenness when addressing issues on the forums - real and/or perceived.

Complaints about this unevenness are probably justified, but what I do ask everyone to keep in mind is that I think most everyone here is a good person and any actions taken by the mods is generally taken in the spirit of trying to do the "right thing". Obviously, that's a subjective measure and not everyone will agree with the result on every intervention. I do ask disagreeable parties to put our discussions here into perspective and seek to deescalate situations, rather than make a situation more volatile. Public policy will not change based on our discussions, so opinions expressed should be taken with a grain of salt. I assure you - political opinions expressed here will have no measurable impact on your life. However, the friendships formed can/will impact you in a positive way.

While we will discuss the issue offline and see how it can be handled better in the future, my general sense of situations like this are that they are tricky to handle. It's a political discussion, but taken place on the field and, for better or worse, dominating the conversation (while we all await the magical preseason game #4). I can understand why it was being discussed on the main board. I also understand that such a topic that mixes football and social issues can quickly leave the football behind. At that point, personal judgment comes into play and not everyone will agree with that judgment.

I think one can make the case for leaving the topic on the main board or for eventually moving it to PPP (whether it be page 20 or page 72), but I don't think there is a "right" answer here.

If anyone has a specific complaint, please send me a note. Otherwise, please let that water move along under the bridge.

Thanks.

Thanks SDS....good to see you peek your head in every once in a while...:)

Thanks.

Well said SDS!

I felt it was good to leave it in the main area as this was also being debated in public by fans, football analysts and others. It's been a mainstream discussion and football related. I really enjoyed reading many of the posts by people here and the various points of view. As long as people thicken their skin just a bit and not take what's written too seriously, there is value in debates such as these IMO.

I felt it was good to leave it in the main area as this was also being debated in public by fans, football analysts and others. It's been a mainstream discussion and football related. I really enjoyed reading many of the posts by people here and the various points of view. As long as people thicken their skin just a bit and not take what's written too seriously, there is value in debates such as these IMO.

Agree 100%, but that's the tricky part.

Thanks, SDS. Still a great forum, even if the occasional, incidental, accidental political poo gets flung on the main page.

Actually, I thought the discussion, for the most part, was far more civil and restrained than I expected given these hyper partisan times. Perhaps I'm just desensitized by the hyperbolic discussion I see on political boards.

Agreed. The funny thing is, Kaep wanted to get discussions about this going, which he did all over the country on places like here, and while sometimes the thread got a little testy, and I was a participant, it was a great thread and a lot of good points were made by both sides of the issue. I don't think it should have been taken off the front page of TSW and I don't think it should have been taken off the evil PPP.

Actually, I thought the discussion, for the most part, was far more civil and restrained than I expected given these hyper partisan times. Perhaps I'm just desensitized by the hyperbolic discussion I see on political boards.

I agree with that, too. I parachuted in a couple times to leave snarky comments, but it seemed, for the most part, to be civil. Not too many ad hominem attacks.

Agreed. The funny thing is, Kaep wanted to get discussions about this going, which he did all over the country on places like here, and while sometimes the thread got a little testy, and I was a participant, it was a great thread and a lot of good points were made by both sides of the issue. I don't think it should have been taken off the front page of TSW and I don't think it should have been taken off the evil PPP.

I agree with all of this. For TBD, it was one of the most civil off-topic political discussions I've ever seen here.

It was fine. I appreciate the time mods put in, but that shouldn't be the only requirement. There needs to be some ability to read the situation. This one was not out of hand, at all.

And, like somebody above, I'm wondering why it got totally blown up, and not just left in PPP.

It was fine. I appreciate the time mods put in, but that shouldn't be the only requirement. There needs to be some ability to read the situation. This one was not out of hand, at all.

And, like somebody above, I'm wondering why it got totally blown up, and not just left in PPP.

Many -too many posts were deleted and PMs sent. If you weren't following the thread closely, you may not have noticed the 'modifications'.

Many -too many posts were deleted and PMs sent. If you weren't following the thread closely, you may not have noticed the 'modifications'.

Yeah, I wasn't. Didn't know all that..........When it was in PPP, I read back a bunch of pages and didn't see much of a problem. Didn't know about the modifications!