At some point, is someone in the FO accountable?

Virgil

If I'm the owner, my expectation would be that my GM and whoever is responsible for contract negotiations be extremely prudent with my money with the goal of building a winner.

Whoever was responsible for the Dareus contract negotiations (Berchtold or Whaley) failed to put very common and simple language that protected the owners $$$ against a boneheaded decision by a player who has already proven he is more than capable of making boneheaded decisions.

Simply put for a player that had already failed a drug test, and already got in trouble for off field incidents........to not protect the club from a future bad decision is totally unacceptable.

So the next question is who ultimately has to hold the GM and or contract negotiator (Berchtold) responsible?

The answer is: the owners

If I'm Pegula, Berchtold is a goner if he was the one who failed to protect the clubs money against the stupidity of Marcel Dareus.

Just look at all the money Lane Johnson of the Eagles stands to lose for failing his 2nd PED test. That is because a prudent decision was made to protect the club against it. The Bills totally whiffed. And anyone who can't see that total ineptitude is looking through rose colored glasses.

Berchtold is PR; Overdorf is contract guy....

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask again, accountable for exactly what?

And Bills fans should be criticized. Don't forget, this is a fan base who at one time wanted Jim Kelly to be benched for Frank Reich -- and if social media were around back then, fans would have run Bruce Smith out of town as well. Thurman should sit -- Kenny Davis is awesome!

What has transpired this offseason is neither "catastrophic" nor insurmountable -- and the roster is stacked with talented players, including potentially a bonafide franchise QB!

Stop bickering among yourselves and complaining about how someone else's money is being spent.

And Bills fans should be criticized. Don't forget, this is a fan base who at one time wanted Jim Kelly to be benched for Frank Reich -- and if social media were around back then, fans would have run Bruce Smith out of town as well. Thurman should sit -- Kenny Davis is awesome!

What has transpired this offseason is neither "catastrophic" nor insurmountable -- and the roster is stacked with talented players, including potentially a bonafide franchise QB!

Stop bickering among yourselves and complaining about how someone else's money is being spent.

Can you name one player who has been run out of town with social media?

I mean, is that's what this board is about? Fans of a team talking about the pros and cons of what the organization does?

And I'm sorry for those who think this is a negative crusade. But as a fan of the current team with the longest playoff drought, I do start to question why us? Is it just bad luck? I believe in luck to a certain degree. But I don't believe that anyone is just plain cursed.

I also believe that you can't do anything in this league without a qb and I feel comfortable saying we've found that. And yes, I do believe in continuity. I believe the Bengals are proof of that as they pushed through some terrible "boat" times.

But no, I'm not going to smile and nod when the taken chances blow up in our face. I recognize that great steals (Darby) and FA's (Incognito) that have panned out. However, we needed our picks this year to pan out quicker than normal. Rex definitely needs it.

For clarity, I want to see improvement this year. I want to be wrong about Rex. I want to believe the drought will come to an end and we will show improvement year after year. I applaud the optimism others have. I feel bad for those who throw their hands up and are just excuse central. That's a deeper level of BBFS than I have.

Can you name one player who has been run out of town with social media?

Not literally, figuratively. And I think it could have an impact on where a player re-signs. I don't have proof, so don't ask for any. Just a hunch.

Are you capable of conversation, or do you just enjoy being an ass?

I am asking if you can provide one player, literally or figuratively, who has been run out of town by social media. It's an honest question. I see the sentiment posted quite a bit and I can't think of a single player. This makes me think it is a unfounded sentiment unless there is someone I am forgetting. Who am I forgetting?

I mean, is that's what this board is about? Fans of a team talking about the pros and cons of what the organization does?

And I'm sorry for those who think this is a negative crusade. But as a fan of the current team with the longest playoff drought, I do start to question why us? Is it just bad luck? I believe in luck to a certain degree. But I don't believe that anyone is just plain cursed.

I also believe that you can't do anything in this league without a qb and I feel comfortable saying we've found that. And yes, I do believe in continuity. I believe the Bengals are proof of that as they pushed through some terrible "boat" times.

But no, I'm not going to smile and nod when the taken chances blow up in our face. I recognize that great steals (Darby) and FA's (Incognito) that have panned out. However, we needed our picks this year to pan out quicker than normal. Rex definitely needs it.

For clarity, I want to see improvement this year. I want to be wrong about Rex. I want to believe the drought will come to an end and we will show improvement year after year. I applaud the optimism others have. I feel bad for those who throw their hands up and are just excuse central. That's a deeper level of BBFS than I have.

some of us live in the middle grounds. Not because it safer so much as it is logical.

Team has not been able to succeed forever, but hoping they will in time.

seems simple for me anyways.

BTW

four SB losses mean little to me. I am in it for the WIN

I am asking if you can provide one player, literally or figuratively, who has been run out of town by social media. It's an honest question. I see the sentiment posted quite a bit and I can't think of a single player. This makes me think it is a unfounded sentiment unless there is someone I am forgetting. Who am I forgetting?

Marshawn Lynch hated it here

6. After each and every sign of failure, your comment: Fans blamed.

Poor baby. Get over it.

Actually I'm just pointing out the mindless overreaction we get treated to endlessly. Kind of like how you raised an issue that is years old. I don't know if I should be flattered or disturbed

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Incognito. Darby.

Before we declare victory on Incognito let's see how he performs after getting paid and not how he performed when given a last chance audition. I concur that he that well and hope he doesn't return to the knucklehead that was bounced from multiple teams.

Guys, it's a string of problems. I'll agree we should have put in off set language for the Dareus deal. We can't control Ragland getting hurt. It's not Whaley's fault Karlos chose to hit the buffet line twice. He cut him which is what he should have done. What if Shaq Lawson in year two is a stud?

Other teams are dealing with problems as well. Just wait and see. I'm frustrated too, but the sky is not falling. If we are 6 games in amd we're 2-4, ok, but not yet.

I understand that the players are grown-men and responsible for their actions. I get that injuries happen. But at some point, when does it stop being bad luck and start being someone making poor decisions to bring all of these people together?

Karlos Williams had personal issues in college. Their were rumors of Shaq's injury. Dareus had issues his first few years. I could keep going.

Again, I know there is a certain level of circumstance, but it gets to a point where you have to wonder. It's like that person in your life who always gets in trouble or get cheated on. You know they don't want it to happen, but they always find a way when no one else does.

Just thoughts. Flame away.

The accountability is where it should be. On the players.

I commend DW for stepping up and sending the message regardless if your a promising rookie coming off a great year or one of the highest paid player, if you don't come in and do the right thing and act the right way you will be held accountable.

He should also be commended for the fact despite the unfortunate injuries that he has no control of the Bills still put a first team unit out there that shut down the Giants.

Every year there are undrafted free agents or late round picks making the team and playing meaningful roles. That credit goes to Whaley and his staff.

And after 15 years finally finding a QB that right now looks to finally give the Bills stability at that position is a credit to DW as well.

Yes he took a flyer on a player in the 5th round that everyone was calling a steal a mere six months ago. if every team got one solid year from every fifth round pick in this league that would be one thing.

What do you mean by accountable? You said in a later post her shouldn't be fired. Do you think he should be fined? Suspended? Because he missed on a fifth round pick. Or because one of arguably top 10 interior lineman in the league that he had the foresight to draft (and not draft a bust) missed a piss test?

Are the Bills the only team to have star player suspended? Should those GMs be held "accountable" as well?

Maybe if I understood what type of accountable your referring too would better help me understand your point.

Edited by dezertbill