At some point, is someone in the FO accountable?

Virgil

This is a question that'll be answered next off-season. Something tells me the myriad of 2016 off-season blunders, if the season doesn't produce a playoff team, will not be forgotten when 2017 rolls around.

If I'm the owner, my expectation would be that my GM and whoever is responsible for contract negotiations be extremely prudent with my money with the goal of building a winner.

Whoever was responsible for the Dareus contract negotiations (Berchtold or Whaley) failed to put very common and simple language that protected the owners $$$ against a boneheaded decision by a player who has already proven he is more than capable of making boneheaded decisions.

Simply put for a player that had already failed a drug test, and already got in trouble for off field incidents........to not protect the club from a future bad decision is totally unacceptable.

So the next question is who ultimately has to hold the GM and or contract negotiator (Berchtold) responsible?

The answer is: the owners

If I'm Pegula, Berchtold is a goner if he was the one who failed to protect the clubs money against the stupidity of Marcel Dareus.

Just look at all the money Lane Johnson of the Eagles stands to lose for failing his 2nd PED test. That is because a prudent decision was made to protect the club against it. The Bills totally whiffed. And anyone who can't see that total ineptitude is looking through rose colored glasses.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm the owner, my expectation would be that my GM and whoever is responsible for contract negotiations be extremely prudent with my money with the goal of building a winner.

Whoever was responsible for the Dareus contract negotiations (Berchtold or Whaley) failed to put very common and simple language that protected the owners $$$ against a boneheaded decision by a player who has already proven he is more than capable of making boneheaded decisions.

Simply put for a player that had already failed a drug test, and already got in trouble for off field incidents........to not protect the club from a future bad decision is totally unacceptable.

So the next question is who ultimately has to hold the GM and or contract negotiator (Berchtold) responsible?

The answer is: the owners

If I'm Pegula, Berchtold is a goner if he was the one who failed to protect the clubs money against the stupidity of Marcel Dareus.

Just look at all the money Lane Johnson of the Eagles stands to lose for failing his 2nd PED test. That is because a prudent decision was made to protect the club against it. The Bills totally whiffed. And anyone who can't see that total ineptitude is looking through rose colored glasses.

Incognito. Darby.

Incognito. Darby.

So your logic is Whaley signed Incognito and drafted Darby so he shouldn't have included language in Darues' contract that protected the club monetarily against a boneheaded decision?

If that actually makes any sense to you, more power to you. I happen to think that language should have been included, regardless of who the team drafted or signed prior to that. The two things have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

So your logic is Whaley signed Incognito and drafted Darby so he shouldn't have included language in Darues' contract that protected the club monetarily against a boneheaded decision?

If that actually makes any sense to you, more power to you. I happen to think that language should have been included, regardless of who the team drafted or signed prior to that. The two things have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

At what cost? There's always a cost. And it's always a gamble. So, how much?

I remember reading through this board when Marv Levy was the "GM", and they kept bringing in "high character guys", and many on this very board would say, "Save me the self-righteous crap, just give us some players! I don't care what they do off the field!". And now, we have this...personally, I would consider myself a moderate, choir boys don't move me (since I'm not a Monsignor) and great talents who are a total waste of human beings make it impossible to truly root for the team. Somewhere in between, and best I can tell DW has done that...just IMO

I'm loving the trend on talent (coaching, not quite as much but looking better), so now would be the time to mess that all up.

Why is it that so many people have underrated the benefits of being in the same systems with the coaching staff going into the 2nd year?

Why is it that so many people have underrated the benefits of being in the same systems with the coaching staff going into the 2nd year?

Very early, but there seems to be some validity to that. Fingers crossed!

Because the benefits are widely exaggerated by wishful thinking fans. This team has changed coaches as much as any in the league, how often have you seen improvement in the 2nd year?

But this year it will be different....because?

Because the benefits are widely exaggerated by wishful thinking fans. This team has changed coaches as much as any in the league, how often have you seen improvement in the 2nd year?

But this year it will be different....because?

The history of the league says otherwise, but you know better of course.

I understand that the players are grown-men and responsible for their actions. I get that injuries happen. But at some point, when does it stop being bad luck and start being someone making poor decisions to bring all of these people together?

Karlos Williams had personal issues in college. Their were rumors of Shaq's injury. Dareus had issues his first few years. I could keep going.

Again, I know there is a certain level of circumstance, but it gets to a point where you have to wonder. It's like that person in your life who always gets in trouble or get cheated on. You know they don't want it to happen, but they always find a way when no one else does.

Just thoughts. Flame away.

It seems poor decision after poor decision for this FO. It is a very stark contrast between the Bills, and the Sabres.

Well I just Googled that, and Urban Dictionary says that acronym means "Bareback Full Service."

Not sure what you are getting at here.

That doesn't sound like a good time.

Edited by DirtDart

The history of the league says otherwise, but you know better of course.

Don't invoke "the history of the league" unless you're ready to back it up with statistics. I've been observing the NFL for over 40 years and I'm not aware of any pronounced tendency for teams to do better in year two under a new coach/system. If it's a good system/coach, sure. But if it's a lousy one, it is at least as likely to get worse in year two. If you've got statistics that show otherwise, enlighten us.

Well I just Googled that, and Urban Dictionary says that acronym means "Bareback Full Service."

Not sure what you are getting at here.

Battered Bills Fan Syndrome.

Its like the wife who gets beaten for so long, she cant see that the husband does it because he loves her.

Or something like that. Manny Lawson's wife is a perfect example.

Don't invoke "the history of the league" unless you're ready to back it up with statistics. I've been observing the NFL for over 40 years and I'm not aware of any pronounced tendency for teams to do better in year two under a new coach/system. If it's a good system/coach, sure. But if it's a lousy one, it is at least as likely to get worse in year two. If you've got statistics that show otherwise, enlighten us.

Read your post back to yourself and I hope for your sake - you expose yourself.