Marcell Dareus entering rehab

YoloinOhio

I just want to say, as a lifelong Bills fan and many year contributor to this forum, that I have absolutely no respect for ANY fan who criticizes Marcell for this decision or who feels this is something to joke about like a bad pot habit.

Grow up people.

:thumbsup: Agree 100%X10

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like he may be what they call a dual diagnosis candidate. He will most likely end up in a rehab that focuses on substance abuse/mental health (depression/anxiety) issues together. Hope it works for him, but it takes most people more than once in a rehab, either inpatient or outpatient, to figure this out. Maybe he will be a rare case who "gets it" the first time, or at the very least gets it enough to stay clean for the remainder of his professional football career. Best of luck to him.

Obviously, nothing about this is good news. On the other hand, it's not the end if the world. Dareus is a very good player, but he's not a real difference-maker. I don't expect a huge drop-off, assuming Corbin Bryant and Jerrel Worthy get most of Dareus's playing time. Tyrod's performance is many times more important to the ultimate success of this year's Bills.

Edited by mannc

You dont know what your talking about....people DO in fact go to rehab for clinical deparession

and where do you find that this is depression.....it appears to be MD running from the NFL and reality not depression.

If it is depression where is the link

This thread is rediculous....this very rich youmg man is probably entering rehab for something serious...not marijauna, or depression....he did not test positive....he skipped his drug test, he said he forgot so that was a lie that half this board bought...he and some professional bloggers on this board said dope, but it takes only a little deduction to know it is stronger than that.

The Bills will not tell you if he had a hangnail or broken toe so why would they mention the truth on this...

the only fact we know if MD is suspended for 4 games for missing a test. He may or may not be in rehab...for real or for a cover up.

too bad they didn't send Karlos with him

This thread is rediculous....this very rich youmg man is probably entering rehab for something serious...not marijauna, or depression....he did not test positive....he skipped his drug test, he said he forgot so that was a lie that half this board bought...he and some professional bloggers on this board said dope, but it takes only a little deduction to know it is stronger than that.

The Bills will not tell you if he had a hangnail or broken toe so why would they mention the truth on this...

the only fact we know if MD is suspended for 4 games for missing a test. He may or may not be in rehab...for real or for a cover up.

too bad they didn't send Karlos with him

Dope, are you for real??? Clearly you have absolutely no experience in this whole drug/depression epidemic. I do have professional experience in this field and you are so far from reality it's not even comprehensibe to me. If MD was on dope (if you even know what the term dope refers to) he would never have made it to practices, let alone making it to training camp in the first place. You should really keep your thoughts on this to yourself because you are obviously clueless.

The problem you have is a sense of entitlement and a feeling as though you won't be caught. Who I grew up with smoke weed like there is no tomorrow. Why do they smoke. Because they like the feeling... same with drinking. Almost all of us drink but do we have a problem? No. And alcohol is addictive. We drink for whatever reason. We do the things we do for whatever reason. He just can not get it together. I have met him. I have met his son. He is a role model and a supposed father figure. This is bigger than football. But its not life or death. You CAN stop smoking when you truly want to

Mmmmph. I dont think his beard will match the dress. I forgot all about that.

Immaturity

The inability to make sound decisions... i dont smoke. Never have never will... but weed IS... NOT... ADDICTIVE! it's a gateway drug. So if you happen to know he is doing lines of blow. Or popping mollies or shooting up. Ok. But Like I said A Few TIMES. That would be different. Why did he miss the test? Why is this his second time. Come on this isn't Eli Manning who forgot. This is a potential repeat offender. You have a target on your back. They are FORCING you to do the right thing.

So, if rehab is able to help Marcel understand that he truly needs to want to quit that would be helpful, no?

If rehab is able to assist Marcel in making sound decisions that would be considered a success, no?

weed IS... NOT... ADDICTIVE!

But people are addicts, and people can become addicted to many things not considered "addictive". Like overeating. Like sex. Like gambling.

If weed is not "addictive", why does marijuana-anonymous.org exist?

I have a friend who cannot stop smoking weed because she has had significant emotional trauma in her life. She continues to smoke despite impacts on her job and family life. Even she admits she is addicted to weed and cannot stop on her own.

Just because weed is, as you say, "not addictive" doesn't mean people can't get addicted to it.

You may be using the term "addictive" when a better term is "toxic". Alcohol, heroin, even nicotine are toxic and can cause death if enough is ingested. But when taken in smaller doses over time, the body adjusts it's chemistry to accommodate the toxins. When you abruptly stop ingesting the toxin, the body cannot handle the change in chemistry quickly enough and people become sick and can die. That's why addicts need to "detox" if they are using large quantities of toxic substances over an extended period of time.

Weed may not be toxic to the point where users require detox (or as you say - it's not addictive), but people do indeed become addicted to weed.

Edited by WotAGuy

Dope, are you for real??? Clearly you have absolutely no experience in this whole drug/depression epidemic. I do have professional experience in this field and you are so far from reality it's not even comprehensibe to me. If MD was on dope (if you even know what the term dope refers to) he would never have made it to practices, let alone making it to training camp in the first place. You should really keep your thoughts on this to yourself because you are obviously clueless.

you need some anger counselling Bubba

I never said he was on dope, I said some people on this site said that.

We have no idea what if anything he is on...he missed a test and that is all.

We do not know if the rehab thing is real or to cover for him with the NFL and the team and now that he is out on the town (reported here if that is true) we know even less.

So my fine rehab knowledgeable friend read before you react.

ps I have lots of experience in this counselling field through my employment and as such I know NOT to accept what addicts or people in this condition say, only rely on what they do...

So keep your comments to yourself until you learn to read.

..... and as such I know NOT to accept what addicts or people in this condition say, only rely on what they do...

That is very wise and exactly why rehab can help. Even if it's not truly "addiction" (in the sense of heroin for instance), but merely a crutch that got him through his days, he can learn coping skills, insight, etc...from a stint in rehab.

you need some anger counselling Bubba

I never said he was on dope, I said some people on this site said that.

We have no idea what if anything he is on...he missed a test and that is all.

We do not know if the rehab thing is real or to cover for him with the NFL and the team and now that he is out on the town (reported here if that is true) we know even less.

So my fine rehab knowledgeable friend read before you react.

ps I have lots of experience in this counselling field through my employment and as such I know NOT to accept what addicts or people in this condition say, only rely on what they do...

So keep your comments to yourself until you learn to read.

I never said to believe in what he says he is going to do. I know first hand that he is the only person that can help himself....rehab or not. It won't work if he isn't serious about it. And without going into details, I'm pretty sure I know and have much more experience in this field than you claim to. So think what you want and I'll think what I know.

I am wearing my Dareus jersey today.

Rehab helped Bruce Smith, and it helped my brother.

The latter two are heroes to me,and Dareus could end up being a hero, as well.

I am wearing my Dareus jersey today.

Rehab helped Bruce Smith, and it helped my brother.

The latter two are heroes to me,and Dareus could end up being a hero, as well.

Amen to you. Some people think they know how this all works without having been around it or not having any education. It's a very, very complex problem that can have very deep roots. Not everyone's brains are wired the same from birth.

Amen to you. Some people think they know how this all works without having been around it or not having any education. It's a very, very complex problem that can have very deep roots. Not everyone's brains are wired the same from birth.

yep...totally agree.

well you DO know that rehab also entails counseling, right? That dude has had so many major life stressors it amazing he hasn't cracked yet.

Some people are ignorant to what rehab is and addictions can be caused by. I was till I had a friend with a problem.

I hope Marcell gets the help he needs and has a wonderful life. I'm sure part of that life could contain wearing a Bills uniform and blowing up Offenses. I do know that the more support he gets the chances of that are higher.

This can't be the consensus. He can flat out dominate.

He can, but he doesn't do it regularly. He's not a top-ten defensive lineman in the league, and maybe not even a top ten DT. And that is the consensus; Google lists of top ten NFL defensive linemen. You won't find Marcel on many--if any--of the lists. Edited by mannc

You calling me out, troll?

Relax. I was pointing out the numerous threads that boast of the innumerable positive aspects of NFL players smoking weed. Several posters here in the past have scoffed at the notion of "pot addiction".

As for your comment about entering rehab, it works for some and is only a first visit for many others--Manziel is a perfect example as to why just going to rehab isn't necessarily "taking things seriously". Sometimes players go because they were offered no choice by their employer.

So let's make weed legal for NFL drug testing. Boy wouldn't it be fun to watch a bunch of stoned millionaires play football. How entertaining it would be....look, a fumble....players from both sides staring at the ball on the ground laughing their asses off because Willie dropped it.