What Were You Doing?

I was also delivery the Buffalo news. I was also reading the front page of the sports section and day dreaming about what I'd do with all that money! If my memory is correct it was like 1 million per year for 5 years? A pittance for a HOF QB in his prime now.

It was my summer before high school, and the only one where I went to camp. We were on day two of a five day hike to the Delaware Water Gap, and while I love hiking now, at that point I was barely 5 feet tall and well over 150 lbs, so on the first day I was struggling (to the point of wanting to go home. However, the next day I settled into it and while one group went way ahead and the other lagged behind, I enjoyed my solitude listening on my Walkman to what my memory recalls as the FAN, but since the station didn't adopt that format until the next year, it must have just some sort of sports radio out of NYC.

They were announcing upcoming guest Nuu Faaola when they broke in with the news of Kelly's contract and I did my pudgy 13-year-old version of a touchdown dance in the middle of a New Jersey forest. This was my first day with any sort of outside signal in weeks, so I had no idea it was even close, and it made me long even more for the end of camp when I could finally elate in this potential new era with the fellow Bills fans in my family (they are from Buffalo, but I was born and grew up in NYC).

The entire week or three that preceded Kelly signing, I was cutting out newspaper articles related to the demise of the USFL and probability of Jim Kelly coming to WNY. At the time Kelly and Flutie were both QBs for the NJ Generals.

I had them all taped into a scrapbook. There was a real sense of something historic (related to Buffalo anyway) was about to happen.I should go look and see if I still have them!

I wish I still had that optimism. This franchise has worn me out. I am a fan for life, with a chip on my shoulder.

B-)

100% true story: I was at UNC in my dorm room, freshman year, and when this was reported on ESPN I turned to my roommate and said, "the Bills will be in the Super Bowl within four years." I was one year off.

The entire week or three that preceded Kelly signing, I was cutting out newspaper articles related to the demise of the USFL and probability of Jim Kelly coming to WNY. At the time Kelly and Flutie were both QBs for the NJ Generals.

I had them all taped into a scrapbook. There was a real sense of something historic (related to Buffalo anyway) was about to happen.I should go look and see if I still have them!

I wish I still had that optimism. This franchise has worn me out. I am a fan for life, with a chip on my shoulder.

B-)

Rockpile, thanks for the share. Although I didn't do a scrapbook, I do remember & followed the folding of the USFL. I was like a shark in the water because I

knew that when that league folded, Kelly would be ours! I also knew, it was a gut-feeling thing, that once we signed him, he'd find himself loving the city

and people of western NY. Not trying to come across like some Nostradomas, but being from WNY, I was pretty sure of that.

I agree, the franchise can be tiring. I try to be positive at the start of each season. But these past 16 years have been rediculas. Anyway, I enjoyed the recollection.

I remember it like it was yesterday

I was with my future wife at a campground in Bar Harbor, Maine.

I came back to our tent hooting and hollering.................she couldn't understand why I was so happy..... :lol:

I think that she had second thoughts regarding me (for a while)

I was in college and someone told me because I was wearing a Bills cap and I told informant he was pulling my leg for MJ (Miami Jim) said he'd never play for Buffalo and went to play for USFL. No TV except in lounge and did not pay attention to sports during off season so did not know USFL folded.

I was 7 and driving with my uncle in his brown 1982 crystler LeBaron.He looked at me and said "the Bills are going to be pretty good this year they got Jim Kelly".I had no idea who he was...not Jim Kelly but the guy driving he gave me candy and picked me up from school stating he was my uncle.

I was 12. I have absolutely no recollection of what I was doing. I may have been hatching a plot for world domination that day, or I may have been playing in mud. Come to think of it, I may have been hatching a plot for world domination WHILE playing in mud...

I was 7 and driving with my uncle in his brown 1982 crystler LeBaron.He looked at me and said "the Bills are going to be pretty good this year they got Jim Kelly".I had no idea who he was...not Jim Kelly but the guy driving he gave me candy and picked me up from school stating he was my uncle.

Thats a pretty creepy story