Jason Cole report on Doug Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest issue with Whaley is settling for low ceiling/impact talent early in the draft because he was trying to directly fill holes in the starting lineup with rookies.

This has lead to a lot of duds.......which only weakens the roster by creating more holes in the long run.

Think about this for a minute........how many players do the Bills draft that aren't either asked to start immediately and sink or swim.......or never develop?

There isn't a Bills drafted or UDFA starter on this team that was given any time to

develop as a reserve.

What do you mean by this? Bills have had UDFA players that stepped in right away. I always though it was because Bills roster sucked so hard it was easy to please some or another new Coach. Look at Robey or Jackson . Was Hogan also undrafted ?

I am sure you can pull up a search engine to clarify.

But what are you saying with this?

Because heck every player has needed to get the feets wet asap.

The depth has been so lacking since ( Mr Wilson's ) days god bless his soul

Edited by 3rdand12

i can tell you what Jason Cole alleges is implicitly not true in regards to ownership and executive management.

what Cole suggests is "many people," which is a very easy out to protect himself from being challenged, and a sweeping generalization that is unprovable. it's irresponsible journalism on Cole's part.

Absolutely irresponsible to hide behind one or perhaps three sources and make this allegation.

This type of reporting embarrasses us all in the business..

jw

Cole was the one who said other things about OBD such as

LISTEN: Bleacher Report's Jason Cole says "Marrone ignored people telling him EJ Manuel couldn't play." #Bills

http://m.wham1180.iheart.com/onair/bills-blog-52318/jason-cole-says-bills-qb-situation-12712043/

Bills: EJ Manuel 'Scaring Off' Offensive-Minded HC Options, B/R's Jason Cole; Don't Want to Be Tied to QB

And of course -

2015 coaching staff divided - Rex wanted Tyrod as starter, rest of staff wanted Cassel

Edited by YoloinOhio

i can tell you what Jason Cole alleges is implicitly not true in regards to ownership and executive management.

what Cole suggests is "many people," which is a very easy out to protect himself from being challenged, and a sweeping generalization that is unprovable. it's irresponsible journalism on Cole's part.

Absolutely irresponsible to hide behind one or perhaps three sources and make this allegation.

jw

Thanks John.

jw

:beer:

Who's Taylor going to throw to this year?

I'd love to see a breakdown by player how you think his passes in quantities will be distributed. ... when you have a moment. Shoot me a PM to let me know you've done that, I'm highly intrigued.

Anyone going to cry over that if we can't post a winning season?

Your not worth the time.

I am more interested in Whiley's report on Jason Cole but it would probably be something short like "moron", "internet troll" or "loser in mother's basement".

I am more interested in Whiley's report on Jason Cole but it would probably be something short like "moron", "internet troll" or "loser in mother's basement".

Ehh he is useless but his rant had a purpose. He took an easy talking point, projected it onto nameless members of the organization and then fed it to a rabid fanbase for his own benefit. Cole's just playing around in the ever increasing gray are of "journalism". Probably should lock this up to minimize the traffic.

What do you mean by this? Bills have had UDFA players that stepped in right away. I always though it was because Bills roster sucked so hard it was easy to please some or another new Coach. Look at Robey or Jackson . Was Hogan also undrafted ?

I am sure you can pull up a search engine to clarify.

But what are you saying with this?

Because heck every player has needed to get the feets wet asap.

The depth has been so lacking since ( Mr Wilson's ) days god bless his soul

I will explain it again.

The Bills draft low ceiling/impact talent at positions of need early in the draft because they think those players are ready to start early or right away.

Not to be impactful, good or even average..........just to start and fill a hole.

The NFL is a matchup game and when you use your early picks on players that can't beat the man in front of them it erodes the talent level of your roster over time.

They should be using those picks to draft talent at high value positions.......even if it takes some time to develop or if they might be a reserve behind some good older players for a year or two.

Because needs change annually.

Here is an example of my point........the Bills went into the 2014 draft with a talented DL and a hole at RT.........the Bills drafted an athletically/healthy challenged Kujo because they thought that his experience starting for Nick Saban at Alabama would allow him to play right away.

The Carolina Panthers selected Kony Ealy later in that SECOND round........a 6'4"..275#...34.5" armed DE who ran a 4.7 40 and had everything you want in a pass rushing DE except a little polish. They did so even though their own DL was pretty damn good too and they probably had more holes on their roster to fill than the Bills. Ealy has operated as a reserve but racked up 9 sacks in two seasons and had an MVP like breakout performance in the Super Bowl.

Fast forward to 2016 and Kujo has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel..........and the Bills have a journeyman RT and had to expend a first round pick this year on a player in Shaq who has a much lower ceiling than Ealy. :doh:

The Panthers have Ealy to step in and will probably get the kind of production you have to pay $12M-$18M per year for over the next two years.

This is the kind of thing that doesn't happen in Buffalo in great part because Whaley/mgt keeps expending early draft picks trying to duct tape a starting lineup together.

Edited by #BADOL

All of our top 5 WR's were hurt last year, some for parts of the season and some for the whole season. What is confusing to you in regards to that?

The most hilarious part of your whole rant back here is that you literally PROVE my very points in your rant. You say McCoy only missed 4 games and then state we went 3-1 in those games...EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY. Trying to refute the job Whaley did, you down play the loss of McCoy and completely ignore that during those 4 games we had guys like Karlos and Guilisee come in and do pretty good jobs making up for the missing McCoy not to mention McCoy played hurt in other games and they did a good job taking some load off of him...Whaley drafted Karlos...Whaley went and found Gillisee off the street when we didn't have any healthy RBs during the season. You are literally making my EXACT point...Whaley found ways to plug wholes so we could still WIN football games when our Starters went down.

Baltimore didn't do that. Dallas didn't do that. Buffalo did. We won 8 games despite almost NEVER having our starters on the field at the same time on either side of the ball most the season. Taylor MISSED 2 games, but he also played hurt a large part of the season too.

So keep posting...you are only helping prove the exact point that Whaley did a pretty good job filling this team out with depth and then finding more help when injuries ate away at that depth. I mean you keep pointing to how we KEPT winning when our best players were hurt...that doesn't happen if your don't have any depth of find second tier guys who can contribute. Again, CREDIT TO WHALEY. Its like you don't even have a clue to what a GM does and have just decided you don't like him.

Good post. I feel like Whaley biult upon this as well this year by finding the likings of Velasco....Z. Brown....Spikes....Blanton....etc

I will explain it again.

The Bills draft low ceiling/impact talent at positions of need early in the draft because they think those players are ready to start early or right away.

Not to be impactful, good or even average..........just to start and fill a hole.

The NFL is a matchup game and when you use your early picks on players that can't beat the man in front of them it erodes the talent level of your roster over time.

They should be using those picks to draft talent at high value positions.......even if it takes some time to develop or if they might be a reserve behind some good older players for a year or two.

Because needs change annually.

Here is an example of my point........the Bills went into the 2014 draft with a talented DL and a hole at RT.........the Bills drafted an athletically/healthy challenged Kujo because they thought that his experience starting for Lou Saban would allow him to play right away.

The Carolina Panthers selected Kony Ealy later in that SECOND round........a 6'4"..275#...34.5" armed DE who ran a 4.7 40 and had everything you want in a pass rushing DE except a little polish. They did so even though their own DL was pretty damn good too and they probably had more holes on their roster to fill than the Bills. Ealy has operated as a reserve but racked up 9 sacks in two seasons and had an MVP like breakout performance in the Super Bowl.

Fast forward to 2016 and Kujo has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel..........and the Bills have a journeyman RT and had to expend a first round pick this year on a player in Shaq who has a much lower ceiling than Ealy. :doh:

The Panthers have Ealy to step in and will probably get the kind of production you have to pay $12M-$18M per year for over the next two years.

This is the kind of thing that doesn't happen in Buffalo in great part because Whaley/mgt keeps expending early draft picks trying to duct tape a starting lineup together.

A few other good examples would come from the the other team that played in the Super Bowl. Denver drafted Shane Ray when they already had Miller and Ware. They also drafted Bradley Roby while having CHJ and Talib. Both of those were first round picks.

My biggest issue with Whaley is settling for low ceiling/impact talent early in the draft because he was trying to directly fill holes in the starting lineup with rookies.

This has lead to a lot of duds.......which only weakens the roster by creating more holes in the long run.

Think about this for a minute........how many players do the Bills draft that aren't either asked to start immediately and sink or swim.......or never develop?

There isn't a Bills drafted or UDFA starter on this team that was given any time to develop as a reserve.

Who exactly are the duds? Not every GM is gonna hit on every one but there have been some in the running for D rookie of the year there I believe.

I know Kujo is a dud.....Woods is a legit NFL player if not a number 1....who are your duds?

jw

Sounds rather Trumpian. :lol:

jw

Thanks John