TOD 8/8: Around the AFCE - The Jets just missed playoffs

I give Gailey Props for his strategizing and the D can be tough - but not sure if they will make it to the playoffs without Fitzpatrick being stellar which is hard for a whole season.

A Buddy of mine is a big Jets fan...and he says to me :

"This year the Jets are going to The Super Bowl!" and I replied - "Really? - well if they buy their tickets early enough - maybe they can all sit next to each other."

:D

I think so. If they still had Rex they would be drafting in the top 5.

Bowles made at least as many bad coaching decisions last year as Rex. His time management at the end of the 1st half in Week 17--a game that the team had to have to make the playoffs--was abominable. He let 90 seconds of clock run between the Bills' 2nd-and-goal and 3rd-and-goal attempts (both of which came from outside the 10 yard line); this while knowing that Buffalo got the ball to start the 2nd half.

You may not like Rex, and that's fine. Let's not pretend that the Jets are a well-oiled machine coaching-wise. Bowles was in over his head against Rex both times, and it showed.

Bowles made at least as many bad coaching decisions last year as Rex. His time management at the end of the 1st half in Week 17--a game that the team had to have to make the playoffs--was abominable. He let 90 seconds of clock run between the Bills' 2nd-and-goal and 3rd-and-goal attempts (both of which came from outside the 10 yard line); this while knowing that Buffalo got the ball to start the 2nd half.

You may not like Rex, and that's fine. Let's not pretend that the Jets are a well-oiled machine coaching-wise. Bowles was in over his head against Rex both times, and it showed.

Forgive me for this bandito, but I don't equate a bad coaching decision like clock management to poor preparation. The Jets didn't have a game where they were disinterested and outmatched from the jump on the way to a blowout. They didn't have our Redskins game - a game that the team had to have to make the playoffs. (Side note - this may be a trend of RR teams, I'm doing more research.)

Bowles shouldn't be prematurely crowned, but going forward give me him over Rex twice on Sundays.

Edited by FireChan

Fair points. To clarify my stance, I am not trying to sell Bowles to you as a great coach. It shouldn't matter, but I even find his constant weird smile disturbing. I would not however make the case that Rex is better than Bowles because of head to head competition. Rex was/is experienced at coaching against Fitz and, I think had a better team.

Jmo. :)

Fair points. To clarify my stance, I am not trying to sell Bowles to you as a great coach. It shouldn't matter, but I even find his constant weird smile disturbing. I would not however make the case that Rex is better than Bowles because of head to head competition. Rex was/is experienced at coaching against Fitz and, I think had a better team.

Jmo. :)

I most certainly don't think that Rex is better than Bowles; I just meant that if a guy can't beat Rex head-to-head on a short week at home or when his team needs the game to make the playoffs, then it's unlikely he's any better.

Which is surprising to me, since I campaigned for Bowles here; I liked the work he did in Arizona quite a bit.

Was that the same QB problem that helped get them to 10-6 and a game within the playoffs? had them defeat only one team with a winning record, lose twice to Buffalo, and not make the playoffs?

Fixed for accuracy.

The Jets are a veteran team whose window to win is now, however they have a killer schedule and unless Fitz suddenly becomes something he has never been, I think 8 wins is their ceiling.

Fixed for accuracy.

The Jets are a veteran team whose window to win is now, however they have a killer schedule and unless Fitz suddenly becomes something he has never been, I think 8 wins is their ceiling.

Excuse me, is this post related to the OP?