Here's what happens if you don't floss your teeth

KD in CA

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you floss?

• Daily
    • Occassionally
    • Never

i NEVER floss, and my dentist is always happy with my teeth...the idea of flossing completely skeeves me out, as do most things teeth related...to me it seems as if i would be taking a hacksaw to my gums and i can't get over that irrational fear.

Sounds like a bunch of lazy-ass fools just wanted an excuse for why they don't take care of their teeth so they classified studies as "unreliable" or whatever.

You only get one set of real teeth, boy-os. Make them count.

I only floss during the week before my next dentist appointment, and only then so that they don't give me **** about not flossing.

This report is music to my ears. I hate flossing. And my next dentist appointment is in two days. Can't wait to bring this up!

Basically, the report is saying that the evidence in favor of flossing sucks. It doesn't mean that flossing has no effect, just that we can't conclude anything one way or the other. Basically, there is no basis for dental societies telling us we should floss daily.

I spend a lot of time on my teeth flossing daily and stimulating my gums with one of those poker things. Because of that every dental hygienist I have had the past 10 plus years tells me I have the easiest teeth to clean and trust me I can tell the difference compared to the grueling cleanings I went through before I flossed daily. So having said that I will continue.

I heard about this this morning and the articles are very misleading. Read past the sensationalist headlines for a change. What I found is that the studies they have conducted are so limited (sample size and length of study) they are not sufficient to prove that flossing helps. So my personal study of my teeth an gums is all that matters to me.

I only floss during the week before my next dentist appointment, and only then so that they don't give me **** about not flossing.

This report is music to my ears. I hate flossing. And my next dentist appointment is in two days. Can't wait to bring this up!

Basically, the report is saying that the evidence in favor of flossing sucks. It doesn't mean that flossing has no effect, just that we can't conclude anything one way or the other. Basically, there is no basis for dental societies telling us we should floss daily.

Wait until they say having a doc stick a finger up your ass is useless ... See what you say then... :lol:

This study will be retracted, but will spawn a cult of moms who believe that floss manufacturers are just trying to push an agenda to make profits. An organization will be created and will be led by a former playboy model. Probably Pamela Anderson. Then California will be plagued by children with bad teeth for generations.

My gums do a bit better when I floss, and I usually have to spend less time having my dentist angrily removing plaque build up in between teeth... so I mean.... it does something for me, at least.

Also, deep cleanings are terrifying and horrible, and why I now floss.

This study will be retracted, but will spawn a cult of moms who believe that floss manufacturers are just trying to push an agenda to make profits. An organization will be created and will be led by a former playboy model. Probably Pamela Anderson. Then California will be plagued by children with bad teeth for generations.

The anti vaxxer movement was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

On a related dental topic, anyone else use an electronic toothbrush? Years ago I had an issue with brushing too hard/bleeding gums. A hygienist recommended using an electronic toothbrush which stopped that problem immediately and since then my checkups have all been perfect.

I floss every night before bed out of habit, but I think the necessity of flossing depends on your teeth. I have two different spots in my mouth (one bottom molar and one top incisor) that seem to collect food material. Especially when I eat meat. Those are the only two areas that I really need to floss. If I didn't floss those two areas there surely would be some decay. My other teeth are tight enough together where food does not get stuck.

It takes 15 seconds...why not?

On a related dental topic, anyone else use an electronic toothbrush? Years ago I had an issue with brushing too hard/bleeding gums. A hygienist recommended using an electronic toothbrush which stopped that problem immediately and since then my checkups have all been perfect.

Most dentists/hygienists recommend the Oral-B style in my experience.

How many people drink alcohol rountinely? Smoke? Consume sugar? Maybe some are blessed biologically and are offsetting things... In that regard, please do floss regularly!

Sorry to get all Carrie Nation on everybody's azz... Don't drink as much... Read on. Especially don't smoke... Or ever smoked! The periodontal cavity can hold a world of hurt if it has to be disturbed during invasive dental procedures to correct problem caused by your own hand that is shoveling sh*t & smoke down your gullet!

I was always under the impression that bleeding gums (gingivitis) is a way that bacteria is being "flushed" away and gums "rebuilding." It should stop after vigorious massaging & ROUTINE brushing of the gums. Yes, you should brush your teeth AND gums routinely. And... Stop putting the smoke & alcohol down your throat... Same with sugar and causing the possible onset of diabetes.

http://www.123dentist.com/why-are-your-gums-bleeding-and-what-to-do-about-it/

But... Like the OP article said... It all boils down to what you put in to your body... Like smoking or have diabetes.

When I first read this topic, I immediately thought smoking! How years ago a lot more people smoked and how this wrecks havoc on your gums. I thought that they must be seeing the decline now & flossing is doing nothing except making the routine dental cleaning easier and faster... While coincidentally the cost of that procedure skyrockets (but that is another topic).

ALSO: Alcohol abuse is another factor. There is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge. Yes, alcohol plays a factor!

"It usually starts with bacterial growth in the mouth and a buildup of plaque on the gums. This can then lead to inflammation or even a severe infection. Some types of gum disease can be caused or made worse by alcohol abuse."

http://www.perio.org/consumer/alcohol-negative-effect-on-gum-health

Of course... I am not saying be a saint and go in a fetal position and filter feed. It is like Hammersticks said, everybody is different.

Mouths and what you shove in! The make-up of your body (how blessed you are to be resilient to the negative things you do to yourself) is also a factor.

To sum everything up... Just critically think! And if you need a refresher:

"Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action."

EDIT:

Note=

"Among study participants, drinkers without periodontitis exhibited a higher presence of plaque than their non-drinking counterparts. Study researchers noted that alcohols drying effect on the mouth may contribute to the formation of plaque, a sticky bacterial layer comprised of than 500 microorganisms that can trigger an inflammatory response in the gums. Alcohol slows the production of saliva, which helps neutralize the acids produced by plaque, Dr. Otomo-Corgel says. An accumulation of these acids can lead to the early stages of periodontal disease.