It's About That Time ...

Gugny

Optimism should be growing right about now for most Bills fans.

That's our cycle, right? Begins with the draft, where you either love it or hate it. But a month later, everyone loves it.

Then that period where nothing's really happening but off-field crap and rampant speculation by many here.

Now it's getting close. The TBDHOT is in planning mode. Camp is beginning. Talking heads are ... well ... talking.

This, traditionally, has been when I'm at my most optimistic. Over the years, I've done better with keeping my expectations realistic.

This year ... it's been a struggle. I don't believe in Rex. I'm questionable, at best, about Tyrod's chances at being a good QB. I absolutely hate that Rob Ryan is on the coaching staff.

BUT ... it sucks being so pessimistic, so I'm going to turn over a new leaf.

I'm going to latch on to all of the good stuff Tyrod did last season (he really did).

I'm going to have a little faith that the D turns it around in year two of doing things Rex's way.

I've always loved Whaley and I think he's going to be a great GM for many years and I really hope it's with the Bills.

If the D performs better than last year; if Tyrod can make the necessary improvements; if McCoy can stay healthy ... schit, this might be a playoff team after all.

With that I say, GO BILLS!!!!

P.S. - I still can't !@#$ing stand the Ryan Bros.

i am 53 and i got nuthin. i do not see how the bills improved anywhere. the salary situations are schmekis. tyrod will not survive the season. ej is who we thought he was--lol.cardale jones a work in progress. shady wayyyyyy over paid. no real depth after him. sammy injured.....again. we have no real option at #2 wr. the defense...it can only improve right? other than these few points..i got nuthin

i am 53 and i got nuthin. i do not see how the bills improved anywhere. the salary situations are schmekis. tyrod will not survive the season. ej is who we thought he was--lol.cardale jones a work in progress. shady wayyyyyy over paid. no real depth after him. sammy injured.....again. we have no real option at #2 wr. the defense...it can only improve right? other than these few points..i got nuthin

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

What they have this year is a season under their belt. That matters more than you realize.

The anticipation is the worst part. I cannot wait for opening Sunday, I cannot wait for good friends and good food, I cannot wait for some BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL!!!

I don't know what to expect this year but as always, I'm cautiously optimistic. Perhaps more optimistic this year than usual because we have a constant at the most important position and he's been pretty darn good so far! More than I can say since Drew Bledsoe.

Is it opening Sunday yet???

Edited by HamSandwhich

Those are the key core points.

Others include both Lawsons getting injured in non-contact environments, Karlos is a slob, his newly drafted backup is doing his best to not make the team after a season of inactivity, on top of Watkins being injured again, he's now gone from "will be ready at the start of camp" to "hopefully ready for the season opener barring any setbacks," (who is dumb enough to wager that everything's going to go swimmingly there), not a WR worthy of note as a starter anywhere to be found otherwise. Meanwhile, a good subset of fans argue that it's not a Jones fracture but that's the only such injury that would cause such a lengthy delay in healing.

Apparently 80% of our yards are going to be Taylor and Shady running the ball. Viva la Greg Roman. I see a whole lot of 7/8 man fronts this season.

If the season were to start today, prior to any contact or serious play, I have no idea who could honestly predict more than a few wins. The injuries haven't even mounted yet from a contact environment.

This is semi-unbelieveable except that it's us, the current record holders, and counting, for playoff futility both active as well as historical.

Meanwhile, Whaley actually has fans that support him. As they say, we get what we deserve. Idiocy and incompetence beget futility.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Others include both Lawsons getting injured in non-contact environments, Karlos is a slob, his newly drafted backup is doing his best to not make the team after a season of inactivity, on top of Watkins being injured again, he's now gone from "will be ready at the start of camp" to "hopefully ready for the season opener barring any setbacks," (who is dumb enough to wager that everything's going to go swimmingly there), not a WR worthy of note as a starter anywhere to be found otherwise. Meanwhile, a good subset of fans argue that it's not a Jones fracture but that's the only such injury that would cause such a lengthy delay in healing.

Apparently 80% of our yards are going to be Taylor and Shady running the ball. Viva la Greg Roman. I see a whole lot of 7/8 man fronts this season.

If the season were to start today, prior to any contact or serious play, I have no idea who could honestly predict more than a few wins. The injuries haven't even mounted yet from a contact environment.

This is semi-unbelieveable except that it's us, the current record holders, and counting, for playoff futility both active as well as historical.

Meanwhile, Whaley actually has fans that support him. As they say, we get what we deserve. Idiocy and incompetence beget futility.

Tell us how you really feel... I would predict that we will win more than a "few games", which I assume means 3 games?

Tell us how you really feel... I would predict that we will win more than a "few games", which I assume means 3 games?

Really?

OK, so tell us how you feel then. Since I qualified the "few games" as if the season started today and this is what we had to work with, give me your starting lineup on O and D and explain how we'll win games with it?

Here are some things to consider:

Whose going to catch passes since Sammy's out? Why? ... short of this could be a breakout year for [name the fifth-rate receiver].

Who's going to play the DE/OLB positions?

Who are the starters on the right side of our OL?

I mean I appreciate you insisting that this team is capable of winning a significant number of games with the roster as it now stands regarding injuries, but have you actually looked at it and thought it through and contrasted it with that of our opponents or even that of an average NFL roster and how we might stack up?

Either way, I can be persuaded, so persuade me. I mean what am I missing, Hankerson posting a 1,200 yard, 15 TD season? Enemkpali logging 12 sacks? Our ILBs and Ss shutting down opposing OTM throws given that not one of them is deft at passing D?

Help me out, help me understand why we would win more than a "few games" under those circumstances.

I would suggest starting by answering those questions effectively. Many here are overly critical but then leapfrog questions that I pose as if they're irrelevant. They're questions that any true fan of this team should be asking while being critical.

It's nice to ponder the notion that Jonathon Williams, Listenbee, and Hankerson are going to combine for 2,500 yards from scrimmage, but history suggests that if we can get an aggregate of 1,000 from them it'll be a good thing.

Oh, but I forgot Reggie Bush possibly. Has he signed? I think I'd rather have FredEx back.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I'm not sure where a lot of Gugny's takes have been coming from lately, but kudos for at least trying to look at things from a glass-half-full perspective.

I don't want to address the "points" in nuklz2594's post because they are so easily refuted it's not even a challenge, but one in particular stands out. "No depth behind Shady" -- hilarious. They have one of the deepest groups of RBs in the league. I won't go on.

Always excited. No matter what the team looks like

I guess, and can even understand that, but having sat through the '90s era Bills games, the playoff atmosphere, how Polian managed this team, it's difficult for me to sit here and watch this buffoonery that Whaley delivers, and Ryan, and get too excited about our prospects when as I look at the team all I see is a mirror-image of teams that we've routinely made fun of over the years and have dismissed as "not going anywhere."

I'm incapable of, as with many people, putting on blinders as to the realities of the team and driving forward as if they don't exist.

I can understand though that some fans are content to merely go to games and watch premier players on the field, etc. I'm just not one of them. I expect success. As long as the organization takes tax dollars for financing its stadium, expectations exist. If, as with most businesses, it funds itself, then I have no right to complain.

Right now however, this organization is clearly a case-study of incompetence, mismanagement, and poor overall decision-making. Attesting to this is us now all but owning both the historical as well as current playoff futility streaks.

The only question remaining is what Pegula's going to do about it if that streak continues after this season with us owning both.

I don't want to address the "points" in nuklz2594's post because they are so easily refuted it's not even a challenge, but one in particular stands out. "No depth behind Shady" -- hilarious. They have one of the deepest groups of RBs in the league. I won't go on.

I think where you lose people when you post things like that is that you don't explain how/why, all you do is criticize another and by what, your mere opinion it's not so.

Who's behind Shady and his ankle and hammy injury?

That's a fact, not an opinion that it's Karlos, the primary one we were counting on, and Williams, our newest draftee. Right? ... or wrong?

You can throw in Gillislee, Herron, and Wilder Jr. if you want, but two of those three, at least, won't make the team.

Have you noticed anything about Karlos this preseason? That may sound as if I'm trying to incite you, but you talk as if there's nothing to see here re: Karlos and that he's perfectly ready to step in should McCoy falter.

Same with Williams, who besides not having played in nearly two seasons already has character issues that could very well cost him a roster spot, and if not probably only because of nuklz2594's post.

Otherwise, I'll ask for us both, why do you think our RB depth is so strong at the moment? Because what we see is an overweight slob that's out of favor with Ryan, a highly questionable 5th round draft pick that hasn't played and frankly wasn't prolific when he did in college, and three other stiffs. I don't see how it's even an argument that our depth is questionable at best.

The same people talking about our RB depth are the same ones that lectured us how Bryce Brown could step in and start. He sucked royally. Is he even playing after leaving us?

And Brown's first season was a carbon copy of what Karlos' was.

Many said the same last year and we ran the ball pretty well. If a team puts an 8 man front against us, are you saying we don't have players that can beat that? Ridiculous comment

Optimism should be growing right about now for most Bills fans.

That's our cycle, right? Begins with the draft, where you either love it or hate it. But a month later, everyone loves it.

Then that period where nothing's really happening but off-field crap and rampant speculation by many here.

Now it's getting close. The TBDHOT is in planning mode. Camp is beginning. Talking heads are ... well ... talking.

This, traditionally, has been when I'm at my most optimistic. Over the years, I've done better with keeping my expectations realistic.

This year ... it's been a struggle. I don't believe in Rex. I'm questionable, at best, about Tyrod's chances at being a good QB. I absolutely hate that Rob Ryan is on the coaching staff.

BUT ... it sucks being so pessimistic, so I'm going to turn over a new leaf.

I'm going to latch on to all of the good stuff Tyrod did last season (he really did).

I'm going to have a little faith that the D turns it around in year two of doing things Rex's way.

I've always loved Whaley and I think he's going to be a great GM for many years and I really hope it's with the Bills.

If the D performs better than last year; if Tyrod can make the necessary improvements; if McCoy can stay healthy ... schit, this might be a playoff team after all.

With that I say, GO BILLS!!!!

P.S. - I still can't !@#$ing stand the Ryan Bros.

They finally got to ya :D

Really?

OK, so tell us how you feel then. Since I qualified the "few games" as if the season started today and this is what we had to work with, give me your starting lineup on O and D and explain how we'll win games with it?

Here are some things to consider:

Whose going to catch passes since Sammy's out? Why? ... short of this could be a breakout year for [name the fifth-rate receiver].

Who's going to play the DE/OLB positions?

Who are the starters on the right side of our OL?

I mean I appreciate you insisting that this team is capable of winning a significant number of games with the roster as it now stands regarding injuries, but have you actually looked at it and thought it through and contrasted it with that of our opponents or even that of an average NFL roster and how we might stack up?

Either way, I can be persuaded, so persuade me. I mean what am I missing, Hankerson posting a 1,200 yard, 15 TD season? Enemkpali logging 12 sacks? Our ILBs and Ss shutting down opposing OTM throws given that not one of them is deft at passing D?

Help me out, help me understand why we would win more than a "few games" under those circumstances.

I would suggest starting by answering those questions effectively. Many here are overly critical but then leapfrog questions that I pose as if they're irrelevant. They're questions that any true fan of this team should be asking while being critical.

It's nice to ponder the notion that Jonathon Williams, Listenbee, and Hankerson are going to combine for 2,500 yards from scrimmage, but history suggests that if we can get an aggregate of 1,000 from them it'll be a good thing.

Oh, but I forgot Reggie Bush possibly. Has he signed? I think I'd rather have FredEx back.

I don't have to answer any of those questions. How about just continuity with the same staff, how about another year for a coherent offensive line, how about some players step up that you don't expect every year. Who's to say Sammy won't be ready week 1? Who's to say that Woods doesn't take the next step being completely healthy? These are some things that could happen just as much as bad things can happen due to things you're pointing out.

The biggest reason I would say I'm optimistic is because I think we have a real QB. Agree or disagree, you're not going to convince me otherwise. Only Tyrod will be able to prove me right or wrong.

Look, I'm not naive to the negatives of what's going on right now, but camp just started and I'm just somewhat...ok a lotwhat more optimistic than you. In case you didn't realize, all 32 teams have questions to be answered this time of year.

So take it easy, choose whatever vice it is you use to unwind and sit back and relax. We'll see what happens. Till then, try and enjoy the ride. :beer: