It's About That Time ...

Gugny

this is escalating quickly lol. the problem on offense is that we do not have anybody that really strikes any fear to an opposing defense. sammy has had his moments, but nothing consistent. the vaunted rb position... shady is way overpaid and his durability is questionable at best. the other rbs listed would not play on any roster in the league. the defense can only get better right? i would love to be wrong. i just do not see how we improved ANYWHERE on this roster. sad thing is i grew up in pittsford. still follow the bills loyally in sunny florida. i always told my friends only thing worse than a bills fan...is a cubs fan.

Ah, the unbridled, uncrushed optimism of August. Before you know it, we're past September's "It's just the start of the season, there's a lot of football left to play" in to October's "If not for a few unlucky bounces/calls, we'd be 5-2." Hence into November's "We're not mathematically eliminated yet," and December's "Who will we draft this year (and it needs to be an OL, WR, or QB)."

I said it years ago. It's still true.

I guess, and can even understand that, but having sat through the '90s era Bills games, the playoff atmosphere, how Polian managed this team, it's difficult for me to sit here and watch this buffoonery that Whaley delivers, and Ryan, and get too excited about our prospects when as I look at the team all I see is a mirror-image of teams that we've routinely made fun of over the years and have dismissed as "not going anywhere."

I'm incapable of, as with many people, putting on blinders as to the realities of the team and driving forward as if they don't exist.

I can understand though that some fans are content to merely go to games and watch premier players on the field, etc. I'm just not one of them. I expect success. As long as the organization takes tax dollars for financing its stadium, expectations exist. If, as with most businesses, it funds itself, then I have no right to complain.

Right now however, this organization is clearly a case-study of incompetence, mismanagement, and poor overall decision-making. Attesting to this is us now all but owning both the historical as well as current playoff futility streaks.

The only question remaining is what Pegula's going to do about it if that streak continues after this season with us owning both.

No doubt. For me the older I get the less important it is I guess. Of course I want them to do well but I'm just excited for football and to watch my team play.

Edited by CNY315

I don't have to answer any of those questions. How about just continuity with the same staff, how about another year for a coherent offensive line, how about some players step up that you don't expect every year. Who's to say Sammy won't be ready week 1? Who's to say that Woods doesn't take the next step being completely healthy? These are some things that could happen just as much as bad things can happen due to things you're pointing out.

The biggest reason I would say I'm optimistic is because I think we have a real QB. Agree or disagree, you're not going to convince me otherwise. Only Tyrod will be able to prove me right or wrong.

Look, I'm not naive to the negatives of what's going on right now, but camp just started and I'm just somewhat...ok a lotwhat more optimistic than you. In case you didn't realize, all 32 teams have questions to be answered this time of year.

So take it easy, choose whatever vice it is you use to unwind and sit back and relax. We'll see what happens. Till then, try and enjoy the ride. :beer:

And you shouldnt answer those questions......Tasker is full of crap anyways because he is basing what the team is looking like at the start of camp as opposed to what they will look like at the start of the season.

I am not really sure he is a bills fan anyway

how's that working for us?

We dont know yet?

Well i haven't been keeping up with any Bills news except the draft and even that i haven't done any research on the guys we drafted like I've done in the past. This year is the 1st in about 15 years that i just took it easy and i gotta say, it feels good.

But on a flipside (don't know if it actually is a flipside cuz it would insinuate that what i previously said was negative but) i purchased my tickets to the Thursday night game against the Jets so I'm very excited for that.

this is escalating quickly lol. the problem on offense is that we do not have anybody that really strikes any fear to an opposing defense You have a starting QB with good accuracy....a terrific long ball.....and is often one of the best athlete's on the field on EITHER team in any game. The defense can dial up a perfect D play.....have everyone covered.....and TT can simply take off and get a fresh set of downs. If you think that does not keep DC's up at nights you are kidding yourself.

. sammy has had his moments, but nothing consistent. Go back and look at Sammys numbers in the 2nd half of the season last year and compare it to the rest of the WR's that you consider to be the best in the league. "had his moments" is such a degration of the situation.....Sammy has been UNCOVERABLE and he has had to deal with what.....THREE different QBs in his time with us? This is a WR that dominated Revis Island last year as a 2nd year player.....come on man....."had his moments"

the vaunted rb position... shady is way overpaid and his durability is questionable at best. the other rbs listed would not play on any roster in the league

Is it your money? Number 1 rushing attack in the league. Karlos Willaims would not play on any other team in the league? Really? With his yard per carry average and touchdown ratio?

. the defense can only get better right? i would love to be wrong. i just do not see how we improved ANYWHERE on this roster. sad thing is i grew up in pittsford. still follow the bills loyally in sunny florida. i always told my friends only thing worse than a bills fan...is a cubs fan.

The defense is the ONLY thing that kept us out of the playoffs last year

Those are the key core points.

Others include both Lawsons getting injured in non-contact environments, Karlos is a slob, his newly drafted backup is doing his best to not make the team after a season of inactivity, on top of Watkins being injured again, he's now gone from "will be ready at the start of camp" to "hopefully ready for the season opener barring any setbacks," (who is dumb enough to wager that everything's going to go swimmingly there), not a WR worthy of note as a starter anywhere to be found otherwise. Meanwhile, a good subset of fans argue that it's not a Jones fracture but that's the only such injury that would cause such a lengthy delay in healing.

Apparently 80% of our yards are going to be Taylor and Shady running the ball. Viva la Greg Roman. I see a whole lot of 7/8 man fronts this season.

If the season were to start today, prior to any contact or serious play, I have no idea who could honestly predict more than a few wins. The injuries haven't even mounted yet from a contact environment.

This is semi-unbelieveable except that it's us, the current record holders, and counting, for playoff futility both active as well as historical.

Meanwhile, Whaley actually has fans that support him. As they say, we get what we deserve. Idiocy and incompetence beget futility.

Will you watch most or all of the games?

Now it's getting close. The TBDHOT is in planning mode. Camp is beginning. Talking heads are ... well ... talking.

Gugs is .... well .... guging. :flirt: I'm in the pessimistic camp. I'd like to be optimistic, but I need to see a few things from the coach.

1. Install a real 2-minute offense (at a minimum, how about calling two plays when you do huddle?).

2. Stop wasting challenges.

3. Stop wasting timeouts or getting delay of game penalties by not hustling after big plays (this is on the coach).

4. Stop committing stupid personal foul penalties (yes, this is on the coach).

From the players, I have the following question marks.

1. Right tackle?

2. RB depth (yeah, I seddit).

3. 2nd OLB?

4. WR 2-6

If I see improvement in these areas, then I'll agree that the Bills have a chance. Barring that, we're screwed.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

The same people talking about our RB depth are the same ones that lectured us how Bryce Brown could step in and start.

What eye opening insight! I'm sure you are able to prove this claim with link after link. I look forward to your general statements being backed up with actual instances of people saying exactly what you claimed.

how's that working for us?

i should have been more specific on my remark. i hope the bills end the playoff drought. the year under the belt thing...sounds nice. we have been saying that for far too long.

Gugs is .... well .... guging. :flirt: I'm in the pessimistic camp. I'd like to be optimistic, but I need to see a few things from the coach.

1. Install a real 2-minute offense (at a minimum, how about calling two plays when you do huddle?).

2. Stop wasting challenges.

3. Stop wasting timeouts or getting delay of game penalties by not hustling after big plays (this is on the coach).

4. Stop committing stupid personal foul penalties (yes, this is on the coach).

From the players, I have the following question marks.

1. Right tackle?

2. RB depth (yeah, I seddit).

3. 2nd OLB?

4. WR 2-6

If I see improvement in these areas, then I'll agree that the Bills have a chance. Barring that, we're screwed.

thank you. i am just looking at the offseason and last season. we have not improved in any facet.

i should have been more specific on my remark. i hope the bills end the playoff drought. the year under the belt thing...sounds nice. we have been saying that for far too long.

thank you. i am just looking at the offseason and last season. we have not improved in any facet.

just being in the same system for the 2nd year is a facet of improvement....also no QB controversy is another

Optimism should be growing right about now for most Bills fans.

That's our cycle, right? Begins with the draft, where you either love it or hate it. But a month later, everyone loves it.

Then that period where nothing's really happening but off-field crap and rampant speculation by many here.

Now it's getting close. The TBDHOT is in planning mode. Camp is beginning. Talking heads are ... well ... talking.

This, traditionally, has been when I'm at my most optimistic. Over the years, I've done better with keeping my expectations realistic.

This year ... it's been a struggle. I don't believe in Rex. I'm questionable, at best, about Tyrod's chances at being a good QB. I absolutely hate that Rob Ryan is on the coaching staff.

BUT ... it sucks being so pessimistic, so I'm going to turn over a new leaf.

I'm going to latch on to all of the good stuff Tyrod did last season (he really did).

I'm going to have a little faith that the D turns it around in year two of doing things Rex's way.

I've always loved Whaley and I think he's going to be a great GM for many years and I really hope it's with the Bills.

If the D performs better than last year; if Tyrod can make the necessary improvements; if McCoy can stay healthy ... schit, this might be a playoff team after all.

With that I say, GO BILLS!!!!

P.S. - I still can't !@#$ing stand the Ryan Bros.

Go Bills!

I think where you lose people when you post things like that is that you don't explain how/why, all you do is criticize another and by what, your mere opinion it's not so.

You're talking about "losing people?" :lol:

I don't have to explain the RB depth comment. Read any news article discussing the Bills' roster. Yes, Karlos is fat right now and will miss four games, and yes, the 5th round draft pick got a DUI that will have some sort of repercussion down the road. Even allowing for those two statements, saying the Bills have "no real depth" after Shady is disingenuous and reeks of someone who simply wants to complain.

Edited by eball