Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

Seems that you like changing the subject with multiple people.

The title of the thread is "don't expect Rex or Whaley" so I'm talking about both.

There is a lot that goes into the success or failure of a team. If the GM does not get the right players for the coaches offensive and defensive scheme, then it is not going to work. Same goes with head coaches that constantly change coordinators and schemes as there is always a learning curve during the course of the season. How many years have the Bills changed defenses between Marrone and Gailey? While I wished Schwartz was either retained as DC and Roman was hired as the HC or Schwartz was promoted to HC and Roman was brought in as the OC, it didn't happen. The Bills are not going to get much better if they keep changing coordinators and Head Coaches every couple of years.

As far as the other short term HC's that got fired. With hiring coordinators as first time HC's, it's a crap shoot as that coach had no previous NFL head coaching experience, so no one knows how they are going to do.

I'm hardly changing the subject. What about Rex's six years in NY makes you think he deserves a longer leash than a first time HQ? If anything, Rex has earned a shorter leash.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

they better win then, not in the mood for more mediocrity.

Second-best season in ten years in Year #1 of this coaching staff. And we're already talking about make-or-break going into Year #2?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

no, both Mularkey and Maroon went 9 - 7.

Yeah... frequently changing your coach is the road to success. Look how well it has worked for Cleveland.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzpwB1.png

Last column is win percentage.

Shows that teams like Cleveland can ruin good coaches like Belichick B-)

I'm not expecting Tyrod to be better. Wonderful if he is but I think we're somewhere near his ceiling. Taking progression for granted when he's come so far from his VT days would be, for me, a little foolish. No insults meant by that.

Hopefully the 2nd year in both schemes brings some improvement. The margins in the NFL are so small between success and failure, it's only finding little bits here and there.

I think we're on the cusp of seeing something so special for this team. If it fails, I'm not sure I can stop myself from going ballistic at those in charge. I'm not an optimistic type normally but I'm absolutely buzzing for this season. As someone who's never seen a playoff game, it's about time we changed that.

if you are not normally optimistic and don't think Tyrod will be better then why are you buzzing about this season?

I hope you optimistic guys are right for once because I'm going to feel guilty paying for the ticket this year. The individual talent on the team is enough to make the playoffs, but the talent doesn't support each other very well on the defensive side of the ball. How the heck are you going to compile penetrating DT's and put them infront of two thumpers, why are you going to put two thumpers infront of two safeties who are below average in coverage? We could pour quicksand down the middle of the field and no one would notice.You have one good outside rusher who is surely going to be chipped and double teamed all year long. Opposite Hughes you have a role player in Manny or a total dud in IK. What is big sexy going to lead the team in sacks!? I just don't see what you guys are looking at defensively.

If that plays out like how I see it, that sounds closer to 6-10 than 10-6. Rex has his hands full this season, I'm interested to see how he gets pressure and if the sack numbers rebound. I almost bet Boyst about the sack total earlier this offseason now I'm glad I didn't.

if you are not normally optimistic and don't think Tyrod will be better then why are you buzzing about this season?

Because what Tyrod did was enough. He couldn't make the defensive unit play better. They let the side down.

After looking into the trends of a Greg Roman attack, there should be some minor improvement at QB and in the run game in Year 2. If Tyrod can at least replicate his 2015 season and Rex gets the defense up to his usual standards, we should start to see the progress reflected in the record. I think we match up well in the division and, with the Brady suspension, going 5-1 in the AFCE should be feasible. Not easy by any means but feasible.

Call it a gut instinct but I see reasons to be optimistic. The schedule doesn't look overly daunting either, a lot of winable games.

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

Well sure- They believe in continuity until they don't. I really don't think there is news here

Personally, unless there's a complete meltdown, I want to see a Whaley/Rex run of at least 5 years before I make any decisions. I'm tired of flipping coaches every couple of years, I want to see what happens if we have continuity and build things for a longer run. If it doesn't work out, by all means go back to the 2-3 year coaching turnover, I guess.

I'm hardly changing the subject. What about Rex's six years in NY makes you think he deserves a longer leash than a first time HQ? If anything, Rex has earned a shorter leash.

By that logic, Bill Belichek should have been given a very short leash in New England as he had a terrible tenure in Cleveland.

Ryan took the Jets to the AFC Championship game twice with a crap QB. Plus, his Jets team beat the Patriots in the playoffs. I also feel the Jets GM did a terrible job of replacing players that left, such as Revis and Cromartie. As I said previously, it takes a good combo of a GM and coach to have a successful team.

I agree. This is a major part of what is wrong with the Bills. Ours are sub-par and I am being kind.

Or, do you think it is out players that make this such a bad team?

It's been a combination of all of it.

mario didn't give it his all in Houston and every year in Buffalo. Go back and watch his play after the annual

Mathematical elimination game with the Bills. In particular the season the team finished aganst two division rivals.

The jets and the fish he was an embarassment too watch. That should have been (the houston rumor) a buyer beware

Sign when Nix & cmpany showered him with the richest defensive contract at the tme in league history. mario never has had a reputation

As a team first guy. And in his own words said upon signng I am not a vocal leader I lead by my play. yea right 94.

mario derailed nothing last seasn. Ryan did by not benching or cutting his ass.

Amen

I agree.

However, if the team goes 7-9 like I predict they will, IMO Rex will be brought back only to have another mediocre or worse season in 2017 and then he will be fired. Continuity for the sake of continuity.

But hey, who can blame Pegula and company? Ticket sales remain high and in demand, so why do anything?

Pleas prove me wrong Bills!

Do you really think that it is money that motivates the Pegulas? He has said in the past that if he were interested in making money, he would drill another oil well. Just my opinion of the Pegulas.

Amen

Do you really think that it is money that motivates the Pegulas? He has said in the past that if he were interested in making money, he would drill another oil gas well. Just my opinion of the Pegulas.

Fixed.

On what planet are billionaire businessmen not motivated by making money? I'm interested in hearing more about this.

Because what Tyrod did was enough. He couldn't make the defensive unit play better. They let the side down.

Yes and no.

It could be argued that the D played well enough to win the Washington, Philly, and second Patsies** games if Hotrod had been able to do anything late in the game.

Throwing picks, turning it over on downs, and fumbling twice on the same play is NOT good enough to get us to the playoffs. I like a lot of what the kid did last year, but he needs to be much better in the clutch if we are to make playoffs.

Think of Seattle. One of the best Ds, but Russell Wilson brings them back with clutch play to win several games per year.

Edited by reddogblitz

Nah, but sales are what motivates Russ.

And I'm not convinced the Pegulas know what they are doing as owners considering they hired Rex in the first place and their first few years with the Sabres.

My take is the new Buffalo Bills owners looked at what's involved in running and operating a successful NFL team and must have concluded that it was in their best interest to keep the FO intact until they could get a handle on what it takes to run a franchise. Hence the reason not much was changed and since the team was profitable before they bought it they listened to the man in charge and that was Russ Brandon.

There is no question in my view that Brandon swayed the new owners into thinking that they had the football acumen to listen to the head coaching candidates and then make the proper selection themselves. What was it that Brandon told them, you will know who to hire once you listen to the right guy. This and obviously Brandon pushing them to hire Ryan for various reasons Russ probably looked at all the high draft pick talent on the Bills defense with the 100 million dollar pass rusher in Mario and thought here is Mike Pettine's tutor and with Ryan taking his new Jets team the AFC championship 2x, who would be better.

This is the very same idea that plagues so many Bills fans in thinking we all should have expected the 2015 Buffalo Bills to morph into 2009 NY Jets and easily get into the playoffs with the #1 defense in the league. After all, Rex Ryan stated that he had never had this much talent on a defense before. Even this year Bills fans keep bringing up that 2009 & 2010 Jets season and keep thinking the Bills will be in the Super bowl soon.

With the Sabres I think the thought process was to have the team tank for a few years in order to build a team with some solid young talent and they did just that. Recently they hired a top head coach who should have them contending very soon.