TOD 7/26: REX - love or hate him?

I have no faith in Rex. After what i witnessed last year I just have no faith at all...

I think his style of coaching is entrenched in from his father and that league has long since vanished.

He couldn't make adjustments last year... I'm so unexcited for Bills football this year. Just feel I

I've been down this path 17 times before

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, you could watch both games again and compare how hard each team appears to be trying, and perhaps give an opinion that isn't your own a chance, but this is TBD so it's probably better to dig in and not do that.

That's not at all subjective. Should be a worthy exercise.

I have no faith in Rex. After what i witnessed last year I just have no faith at all...

I think his style of coaching is entrenched in from his father and that league has long since vanished.

He couldn't make adjustments last year... I'm so unexcited for Bills football this year. Just feel I

I've been down this path 17 times before

Sadly, this is exactly where I am. I think he brought in a career backup QB and had no business doing so. Between that decision and completely !@#$ing up a great defense, he's ruined the team. All he's brought is publicity. Unfortunately, I can't help but think that's what the Pegulas' goal was. Since Ryan got here, it's been nothing short of an embarrassing circus. And the ticket sales have gone through the roof.

It's really very sad.

Sadly, this is exactly where I am. I think he brought in a career backup QB and had no business doing so. Between that decision and completely !@#$ing up a great defense, he's ruined the team. All he's brought is publicity. Unfortunately, I can't help but think that's what the Pegulas' goal was. Since Ryan got here, it's been nothing short of an embarrassing circus. And the ticket sales have gone through the roof.

It's really very sad.

Drafted by team with entrenched All-Pro starting QB = career backup. Got it!

Keep 'em coming, Ugh-ny -- they're priceless!

After reading some of these posts you'd think the Bills were 2-14 last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they finish 8-8 last year only one game under the previous year?

One poster even went so far as saying Rex is the worst coach in franchise history. That's quite the take considering such heavyweights of the past like Harvey Johnson, John Rauch, Jim Ringo, Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, and Gregg Williams.

Some of you guys are coming across like a Victorian age woman with a case of the vapors. I just hope you have your fainting couch nearby to regain your composure.

The more level headed of us will realize Rex Ryan is a mediocrity coaching a mediocre organization.

Edited by gumby

After reading some of these posts you'd think the Bills were 2-14 last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they finish 8-8 last year only one game under the previous year?

Here's another way to ask that question - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they finish without a winning record in 2015, after having a winning record in 2014 (aka regress)?

Hey, call it what you want. I don't think there was lack of effort on the 2015 Bills (aside from Mario) -- just a lack of full comprehension and understanding of the defense, which led to decreased results.

I don't think anyone can compare the offenses of the 2014 and 2015 Bills and come to the conclusion the 2014 version "played harder" or were better prepared.

There were moments in 2015 where the team did lack effort. That isn't even a doubt in my mind and it wasn't just Mario. The second half of games at Kansas City and Philadelphia where they could have chosen to dig in, stand up and compete they instead folded like a deck of cards. The Bengals game where they came out scored a touchdown and then consistently played with a lack of enthusiasm especially on special teams.

Sometimes I accept that it might have been players trying to play hard but just confused. It is hard to go 100% when you are over thinking. But that is on the coaching too.

The Bills 2014 offense had far less talent than the 2015 version. I'd say worse on the line, at tight end, at running back, probably at receiver (Sammy being in his rookie year) and definitely at Quarterback. I'll give you full back as a wash. They had a poorer coordinator who had worse game plans than Greg Roman and yet they played hard and could execute a 2 minute drill without having to huddle up or wait for a telegram to bring on the plays.

I don't like Doug Marrone. But the 2014 Bills turned up every week ready to play and played hard every game. The 2015 Bills on a schedule they'd have been hard pushed to hand pick better were confused and playing at half pace too often and even on the offense (big Roman fan here) were badly prepared in key situational football moments.

You can accuse me of being a casual fan and being wowed by stats if you like but I will be up at 4am watching a pre-season game in a couple of weekends time and I will be tuning into the Jets game during my one summer vacation in September from Spain. The 3 years I have had my game pass I have not just watched every Bills game live (I think I have missed 2 in 8 seasons) but also every snap again on the coaches film feature again in the midweek. At the end of this last season I rewatched every snap of the year again - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Come to a different conclusion than me if you like - you are entitled to do that. But don't suggest this opinion is informed by me swallowing some narrative peddled by the media, the stats guys, this board or anyone else. I watch and I comment on what I see.

Edited by GunnerBill

In 2014 I watched that week 8 Bills -Jets game with great interest as the Jets were 1-7 and the Bills 4-3 at that point in the season. Rex Ryan had started his yapping to the media on how his Jets team would manhandle the Buffalo Bills only to lose 43-23 and Ryan looked lost on the sidelines. That Jets team had 6 turnovers and Geno Smith went 2 of 8 for 5 yards and 3 INT's :w00t:!

Then four weeks later the Bills faced the Jets again in Buffalo and Ryan boasting to the NY media that his team would play 1000% better in their second game, no question. The final score of that second game was 38-3 and this game Mike Vick started and as mobile as he is he was sacked 5x and Geno came in after Vick got hurt and was sacked 2x. It was just total domination by Buffalo and I really enjoyed seeing the Bills shut that blowhard up.

When Rex Ryan was hired after a 4-12 season with the Jets I asked myself what are the jamokes in the Bills FO thinking? I later found out that the team president (Brandon) persuaded the new owner to make the choice on the hire and he also pushed to hire Ryan for some reason.

"It was almost a year ago, in early January, when the Buffalo Bills called Rex Ryan back for a second interview for their head-coaching vacancy. Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building."

Anyway, after taking a closer look at that 2009-2010 NY Jets team I gotta think that Rex Ryan stepped into an almost perfect situation with those 2009 NY Jets in that he inherited a defense from Eric Mangini and a team that was already loaded with defensive talent that went 9-7 in 2008. Then Mangini being a Bill Belichick disciple who runs a varied schemed 3-4 two-gap D-line system and all Ryan needed to do was bring in a few players familiar with his nomenclature. Hence the reason for that league-leading defense for two seasons and once opponents learned how to play against it then it didn't go so well as time went on. This despite the fact that the Jets spent every first round pick on defense in Ryan's six years there.

Look at what happened last year as it wasn't just the complete reversal in sacks from being a league leader 2x years in a row under Schwartz and Pettine to 31st under Ryan and dead last in QB pressures. If I'm not mistaken isn't that getting pressure on the QB the entire reason in giving Mario 100 million dollars and then giving Dareus- Hughes big paydays. There were many issues with the entire team from the #2 team in the league in penalties. Bad clock management in some games and after being asked why he failed to throw a red flag Ryan stated because he didn't see it on the big screen. Massive miss-communications issues with defensive player substitutions coming in late. Defensive play calls coming in late. Defensive players jumping around on the line and not set when the ball was snapped so they were out of position.

Then, the defense hardly blitzed at all last year and even when they did blitz it was usually a bad call which resulted in a good play for the offense. If this wasn't enough, the defense kept asking the Bills pro bowl pass rushers to keep dropping into pass coverage and when they asked Dareus to drop 2x times against KC, QB Alex Smith threw two TD's passes on those drop backs. Even Bills HoF QB Jim Kelly was questioning why the Bills defensive linemen were dropping into pass coverage so often.

In all my days of watching the Bills, I haven't ever seen a Buffalo Bills coach ruin an aspect of a team like Rex Ryan did to that all pro defensive line last year. And then miss-use those pro bowlers in the wrong scheme so badly that they go to the media to complain about it. http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

Buffalo Bills fans have a head coach in the hall of fame named Marv Levy so most of us older fans can see the difference between someone who lets their actions to their talking and a big mouth blowhard who constantly makes promises he can't keep. I choose the former over the latter. I have started to think that Rex Ryan is a below average head coach and a great con man. Good thing the 2016 Buffalo Bills won the offseason because I don't see the team winning many regular season games!

There were moments in 2015 where the team did lack effort. That isn't even a doubt in my mind and it wasn't just Mario. The second half of games at Kansas City and Philadelphia where they could have chosen to dig in, stand up and compete they instead folded like a deck of cards. The Bengals game where they came out scored a touchdown and then consistently played with a lack of enthusiasm especially on special teams.

Sometimes I accept that it might have been players trying to play hard but just confused. It is hard to go 100% when you are over thinking. But that is on the coaching too.

The Bills 2014 offense had far less talent than the 2015 version. I'd say worse on the line, at tight end, at running back, probably at receiver (Sammy being in his rookie year) and definitely at Quarterback. I'll give you full back as a wash. They had a poorer coordinator who had worse game plans than Greg Roman and yet they played hard and could execute a 2 minute drill without having to huddle up or wait for a telegram to bring on the plays.

I don't like Doug Marrone. But the 2014 Bills turned up every week ready to play and played hard every game. The 2015 Bills on a schedule they'd have been hard pushed to hand pick better were confused and playing at half pace too often and even on the offense (big Roman fan here) were badly prepared in key situational football moments.

You can accuse me of being a casual fan and being wowed by stats if you like but I will be up at 4am watching a pre-season game in a couple of weekends time and I will be tuning into the Jets game during my one summer vacation in September from Spain. The 3 years I have had my game pass I have not just watched every Bills game live (I think I have missed 2 in 8 seasons) but also every snap again on the coaches film feature again in the midweek. At the end of this last season I rewatched every snap of the year again - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Come to a different conclusion than me if you like - you are entitled to do that. But don't suggest this opinion is informed by me swallowing some narrative peddled by the media, the stats guys, this board or anyone else. I watch and I comment on what I see.

Not just the bolded but your entire post, well freakin said.

Particularly being that you're a Roman supporter, I give you big ups for your objectivity.

FireChan keep #scoopin

I've read only part of this thread as I'm in corporate meetings slammed, blah, blah, blah, but I don't love nor do I hate Rex. I read about half the thread and completely understand the visceral response where a defense goes from 4th a little less than middle of the pack.

I see things on balance. The offense went from 28th to 13th and infused a lot of talent. I also see keeping talent as a plus and two good draft is my guess. It's a collaboration between Whaley and Rex. I hated the lack of discipline and the inmates running the ship on defense where Rex is going to placate and do a mix of his defense and the wide 9. Either leave it the way it was, or completely shift and teach. The lack communication was disturbing.

I'm in the wait and see mode. Rex, you've hired your coaches, drafted your type of guys, and you proclaim to be all in on your style of defense, and open up the offense. We'll know whether you're right this year. The offense can't maintain static, but has to progress with Clay more involved, more creativity over the middle, and even better line play this year as it is year two in a creative offensive blocking scheme.

Rex has a much tougher schedule this year so the proof is in the pudding. He puts together a 10 win season with one of the toughest schedule in the NFL, and gets his defense back in the top 10, then he's better than the majority of people on this thread have stated. He craps the bed and all of you can say, I told you so. Lastly, of your going to talk tough, then back it up and do it. I hate anyone who makes false promises. Like many of you was a top athlete in a couple of sports and always kept my mouth shut even when other mouthed off against me. I coached my boys when younger to do the same.

I think he's overrated. He needs everything to go right in order to succeed. He has to have "his guys". Sure every coach has guys that he just fit his system but in the real world guys get hurt, traded, retire etc. Rex has not shown the ability to adjust or adapt. Cant remember the last time his defense was thought of as menacing. Not to mention game/clock management, player development and leadership.

I hope he stays as long as possible. Not saying that as a bad thing. If you guys had an advantage you would want to keep it too.

Wasn't speaking to you specifically with the "casual fan" comment -- I've just seen the sack totals repeated ad nauseum as evidence the 2015 defense wasn't playing hard.

I watch every minute of every game the Buffalo Bills play -- preseason included -- and I have a different opinion. That's what makes America great.

It's really very sad.

Lol career backup QB....are you talking about Tyrod? cuz im pretty sure he was one of the only good things Rex did for this team last season

Lol career backup QB....are you talking about Tyrod? cuz im pretty sure he was one of the only good things Rex did for this team last season

What dafuq is "cuz?" Does your mom know you're up this late and using the computer?

Because I'm pretty sure the Bills wen't 8-8 and missed the playoffs again.