Aaron Williams Wants Fred Jackson Back; Do you?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Q's are:

• is he a running threat (no)
  • does he have something to contribute in special play situations (maybe)
  • is his football production worth the Vet minimum 900K-ish (no)
  • is his leadership worth the Vet minimum 900K-ish (no.. that's one expensive luxury)
  • will the Vet minimum hurt the cap situation (vice a newbie with $500K-ish contract)
  • would he accept the Vet minimum (probably)
  • is giving one of the precious 55 roster slots to someone with no future upside wise (no) **
  • did you answer these question without the beer goggles of nostalgia (me.. yes)

** this is an under-rated concern, many people don't realize the long term damage done when you hang on to declining talent at the expense of denying new talent an opportunity to grow.

Different angle, Fred as coach: I don't know if he is entry level coach material. Does he have a mind for X's and O's? Does he know how to teach?

Edited by boater

The Q's are:

• is he a running threat (no)
  • does he have something to contribute in special play situations (maybe)
  • is his football production worth the Vet minimum 900K-ish (no)
  • is his leadership worth the Vet minimum 900K-ish (no.. that's one expensive luxury)
  • will the Vet minimum hurt the cap situation (vice a newbie with $500K-ish contract)
  • would he accept the Vet minimum (probably)
  • is giving one of the precious 55 roster slots to someone with no future upside wise (no) **
  • did you answer these question without the beer goggles of nostalgia (me.. yes)

** this is an under-rated concern, many people don't realize the long term damage done when you hang on to declining talent at the expense of denying new talent an opportunity to grow.

Different angle, Fred as coach: I don't know if he is entry level coach material. Does he have a mind for X's and O's? Does he know how to teach?

This is a really thoughtful and thorough analysis. Thanks. My only quibble is the roster is 53 man, not 55.

You are spot on: people don't understand the importance of filling those 53 spots with players who have potential to grow, or who can contribute in several phases of the game.

Edited by Hopeful

I'm not sure why everyone is panicking about or running back stuation..am I missing something?Shady,Jonathan Williams,Gillislee is a good start with Karlos coming back after he gets his crap together.J Williams won't be suspended for more than two games and that won't be till 2017 and Gilleslee looked really good the games he played at the end of the season.Why do people seem to be in panic mode here what am I missing?

Edited by bacarri and coke

I'm not sure why everyone is panicking about or running back stuation..am I missing something?Shady,Jonathan Williams,Gillislee is a good start with Karlos coming back after he gets his crap together.J Williams won't be suspended for more than two games and that won't be till 2017 and Gilleslee looked really good the games he played at the end of the season.Why do people seem to be in panic mode here what am I missing?

Unsure. I think folks might be worried about Roman's run-first plans combined with Shady's durability during preseason and those 1st 4 games when Karlos is suspended? Shady-Gilleslee should make a nice 1-2 punch, but if Shady goes down then we're into the "undiscovered country" at our key offensive position. I'm completely unexcited about Boom Herron. Jonathan Williams may have something. James Wilder Jr may have something, but he hasn't shown it yet in the NFL. If J Williams and J. Wilder look good in training camp people will relax, I think.

that was Darius

Negative, you're correct that Darius was caught drag racing in B'lo, but I'm talking about Jackson and Lynch in Seattle:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/10/20/report-fred-jackson-crashes-car-while-drag-racing-marshawn-lynch-near-practice-facility/

Or maybe not:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/fred_jackson_i_wasnt_drag_racing_marshawn_lynch_when_i_crashed_my_car.html

Being Seattle and everyone in Blue wanting the Seasnakes to whump the '49ers as much as the next guys, the incident quickly went away.

Negative, you're correct that Darius was caught drag racing in B'lo, but I'm talking about Jackson and Lynch in Seattle:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/10/20/report-fred-jackson-crashes-car-while-drag-racing-marshawn-lynch-near-practice-facility/

Or maybe not:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/fred_jackson_i_wasnt_drag_racing_marshawn_lynch_when_i_crashed_my_car.htmlThat's right I remember now I stand corrected you are correct sirs

Being Seattle and everyone in Blue wanting the Seasnakes to whump the '49ers as much as the next guys, the incident quickly went away.

Edited by bacarri and coke

Bring him back for a day so he can retire a Bill. Otherwise probably not.

Agreed. As a player there's much more downside than upside to bringing him back in. Imagine the Bills signing him only to cut him when Karlos comes back. That'd be ugly.