Bills D #1 in NFL

I'm reasonably optimistic about the Bills D this year. I think to a greater extent than last season, Rex has both the coaches and players he wants. And I think Rex has learned from last season's mistakes and will make productive adjustments. And the chances are we'll be healthier this year than last (cross my fingers!). I'm feeling pretty good about the D. But I won't go as far as NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison...

Buffalo Bills: Rex Ryan's team ends Seattle's run as the NFL's stingiest scoring defense.

Rex Ryan says the Bills won the offseason. I was under the impression that everyone gets a participation trophy (usually wood with a gold-colored foil plate that says "participant") for the offseason. I am OK with saying Buffalo won the draft, however. The Bills picked up two pass rushers and an inside linebacker in Reggie Ragland who is capable of starting Week 1. Throw in an under-the-radar corner in sixth-round pick Kevon Seymour -- as well as the departure of the disgruntled Mario Williams -- and voila: You have a retooled defense. The Seahawks have led the league in points allowed four consecutive years, a record in the modern era. It has to end some time. That Tom Brady will be suspended for the Week 4 trip to New England certainly helps the cause.

The theme of the article is bold predictions for each team. Elliott went big with Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675407/article/nfl-bold-predictions-going-out-on-a-limb-with-each-afc-team

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about #1, but I thought the defense played very well at times last year. Had a few bad games but some very good ones as well. I do think it will be more consistent for a variety of reasons this year. Should help the ranking and stats for whatever that is worth (all I care about is wins, personally)

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd be happy if they made the top 10 and extremely happy with a top 5. I just can't see #1 happening, I'd say they fall in the 5th-9th range which would be great.. If the offense can fall around the same we'd be in good shape.. It all comes down to injury's and motivation/scheme.. Keep them healthy, have a good plan and motivate the **** out of them...!

If the offense can even be close to what it was last year, and the defense can go from one of the worst in the league to even middle of the road we will be a playoff team

Edited by mrags

Someone (James Bond, I think) once said the difference between a beautiful girl and a plain one was often a matter of millimeters -- eyes a little different, or the nose, and everything gets better.

The Bills went from a great D two years in a row to LOUSY last year. Sure many of us blame Wrecks for not being content to do Schwartz v.3 on D while Romeo and Tyrod rejuvenated the O, and the Bills sail into the playoffs. And lose, but we'd all take it.

But sometimes Wrecks can be Rex, and actually make things better. Some of the problems last year were down to rebellion. Super Mario went to Subpar Mario because he wouldn't go along. Dareus wasn't delighted to be dropping into space and guarding air. There was drastic confusion resulting from complacency, that all the D would need to do is show up and dominate, so why should they bother learning a new system and new signals?

That was then. Now, the millimeters can be moved in the other direction. Maybe. IF Shaq doesn't miss too much time. IF Ragland isn't as slow as the scouts feared. IF no one tells Kyle Williams how old he is and he realizes he can't possibly be doing what he does anymore. IF Jerry Hughes doesn't get hurt. IF Darby skips his sophomore slump and moves right to his junior year. IF Aaron Williams can play without seriously hurting his neck. You get the picture. A lot can go right. Or not.

As far as scoring defense goes, well, maybe this will be a good year. The Bills play AFCE opponents six times, and in five of those games the other team won't have an NFL-caliber QB. The Rams, 49ers, Jags, and Browns will also be O-ly challenged. Hey, think about it that way, and it looks possible.

:lol:

Oh wait...you're not joking.

:doh:

In all seriousness ... I'd feel a hell of a lot better if Rob Ryan wasn't in Buffalo. So to be honest .. I'm only half joking.

I hope so. I'm concerned with the d counting on 3 rooks to make a big impact. I can see them having trouble not only adjusting to life in a NFL, but learning this "complicated" defense. I get the feeling teams will be able to run on us even in a pass happy league. I think our offense is going to have to pick it up to help our d out. Stay on the field, crank out rushing 1st downs and keep their offense off the field. That's the only way our d will be better.

Someone (James Bond, I think) once said the difference between a beautiful girl and a plain one was often a matter of millimeters -- eyes a little different, or the nose, and everything gets better.

The Bills went from a great D two years in a row to LOUSY last year. Sure many of us blame Wrecks for not being content to do Schwartz v.3 on D while Romeo and Tyrod rejuvenated the O, and the Bills sail into the playoffs. And lose, but we'd all take it.

But sometimes Wrecks can be Rex, and actually make things better. Some of the problems last year were down to rebellion. Super Mario went to Subpar Mario because he wouldn't go along. Dareus wasn't delighted to be dropping into space and guarding air. There was drastic confusion resulting from complacency, that all the D would need to do is show up and dominate, so why should they bother learning a new system and new signals?

That was then. Now, the millimeters can be moved in the other direction. Maybe. IF Shaq doesn't miss too much time. IF Ragland isn't as slow as the scouts feared. IF no one tells Kyle Williams how old he is and he realizes he can't possibly be doing what he does anymore. IF Jerry Hughes doesn't get hurt. IF Darby skips his sophomore slump and moves right to his junior year. IF Aaron Williams can play without seriously hurting his neck. You get the picture. A lot can go right. Or not.

As far as scoring defense goes, well, maybe this will be a good year. The Bills play AFCE opponents six times, and in five of those games the other team won't have an NFL-caliber QB. The Rams, 49ers, Jags, and Browns will also be O-ly challenged. Hey, think about it that way, and it looks possible.

good post... :thumbsup:

I like the defense this year, and the offense.

So all we have to worry about is the flag parade that was our special teams? That's a step in the right direction.

Edited by Augie

I love it. I wouldn't go that far either but I do think the defense will be more than slightly better than last year.

Color me surprised!

I will say, a bit better than that, even.

Remain a Homer

Paging 4merper4mer...clean up on aisle 6...

lol'd

I hope so. I'm concerned with the d counting on 3 rooks to make a big impact. I can see them having trouble not only adjusting to life in a NFL, but learning this "complicated" defense. I get the feeling teams will be able to run on us even in a pass happy league. I think our offense is going to have to pick it up to help our d out. Stay on the field, crank out rushing 1st downs and keep their offense off the field. That's the only way our d will be better.

Who are the 3 rookies that we need to make a big impact? I am only counting Ragland.

Washington - he will be in a rotation at DL so we basically need him to just not suck while he goes through that rotation

Shaq Lawson is going to be mentored and spelled by Manny Lawson.....who is basically a solid player for Rex?

The guys we need to make impact plays have not left......Gilmore, Darby, Big Stuff, Meatball, Aaron Williams, Hughes

:lol:

Oh wait...you're not joking.

:doh:

why has our defense got better? Where is the pass rush going to come from? Our benched rookie who was never a rusher? Our new elite LBs needed for Ryan's genius level defense? Who is going to coach them on the field? Off? Who is calling the plays?