Interesting point on Bills having too many coaches.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steelers have lost 15 coaches since 2010......doesnt matter few coaches or a lot of coaches. players make the difference

I by and large agree. Coaching can improve players but for the most part struggling teams get bogged down trying to coach up below average players to be average players and throwing extra coaches at that isn't going to solve it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the quality, not quantity, of coaches is what really matters -- as well as how unified the organization is and that a consistent message is being presented.

An interesting tidbit on NFL SiriusXM yesterday had me ponder.

The topic was about coaches and the teams that have the least and the most. A key point was too many hens in the hen house good or bad?

In 2015 the Bills led the NFL in coaches in the mid 20's. Followed by Jags, Browns and Raiders. Those teams did not make the playoffs. Combined record of all the above teams was below .500.

In 2015 the Pats and Steelers were tied with the least coaches with 15. The Packers came in third, followed by Panthers. Those teams made the playoffs and those teams records combined were above .500.

The topic immediately switched to having too many coaches possibly hindering the development of players or does it help the learning curve from college-to-pro.

The NFL is so ridiculous in this way. More coaches than starting players.

An interesting tidbit on NFL SiriusXM yesterday had me ponder.

The topic was about coaches and the teams that have the least and the most. A key point was too many hens in the hen house good or bad?

In 2015 the Bills led the NFL in coaches in the mid 20's. Followed by Jags, Browns and Raiders. Those teams did not make the playoffs. Combined record of all the above teams was below .500.

In 2015 the Pats and Steelers were tied with the least coaches with 15. The Packers came in third, followed by Panthers. Those teams made the playoffs and those teams records combined were above .500.

The topic immediately switched to having too many coaches possibly hindering the development of players or does it help the learning curve from college-to-pro.

A one year trend isn't a trend.

I really think it is mostly about "the coaching fraternity", and guys helping each other, and I doubt it has much impact on a team's success. Some owners may be more (or less) tolerant of the "buddy system".

Edited by HoF Watkins

I really think it is mostly about "the coaching fraternity", and guys helping each other, and I doubt it has much impact on a team's success. Some owners may be more (or less) tolerant of the "buddy system".

And the more successful you are the less you need to fall back on the buddy system because the chances of you needing an Assistant Coach job in the future reduce.

If my memory serves me, the pats just 3 full time employees: 1 coach (who also serves as GM), 1 guy who throws balls, and the owner. They did have 4, but terminated the deflater position. Otherwise, they have an assortment of people doing odd jobs.

They rehired both of the ball deflators giving them different jobs (in charge of cell phones or headsets or security cameras I think) after Br*dy's check cleared for judge first time.

The feeling I got from the start was that Rex wanted more coaches so he could work less.

It seemed like leaving the pressure of NY he wanted to be able to spend more time out of the office.

Subsequently........the mofos he hired to do jobs didn't get the job done the way he had hoped.

Of course, that's why they are ASSISTANTS.

To me, hiring Rob was him saying that he thinks he either had the right idea the first time but trusted the wrong people..............or he was just going to try it again anyway.

There was no excuse for how unprepared that team was last year........it definitely didn't look like one of the more successful defensive minds of the last 15 years was as involved as he should have been.

The feeling I got from the start was that Rex wanted more coaches so he could work less.

It seemed like leaving the pressure of NY he wanted to be able to spend more time out of the office.

Subsequently........the mofos he hired to do jobs didn't get the job done the way he had hoped.

Of course, that's why they are ASSISTANTS.

To me, hiring Rob was him saying that he thinks he either had the right idea the first time but trusted the wrong people..............or he was just going to try it again anyway.

There was no excuse for how unprepared that team was last year........it definitely didn't look like one of the more successful defensive minds of the last 15 years was as involved as he should have been.

One thing I absolutely will not defend Rex Ryan on is the amount of in game penalties at the worst time this team had last year......

That to me is completely unacceptable

Is coaching to bad record causation or correlation? I'd argue that if you are trying to build a lot of young players up, and a QB needs a lot of work, you're more likely to have more coaches and more likely to be bad.

And the more successful you are the less you need to fall back on the buddy system because the chances of you needing an Assistant Coach job in the future reduce.

Maybe it is more about bringing Coaches up. Letting the young ones learn. That would be part of the Fraternity. and how Coaching trees are developed

If my memory serves me, the pats just 3 full time employees: 1 coach (who also serves as GM), 1 guy who throws balls, and the owner. They did have 4, but terminated the deflater position. Otherwise, they have an assortment of people doing odd jobs.

Then what is Ernie Adams? Not full time?

I think the Bills have too many talented guys on the D-line. These guys are so good that they don't have to work for it. They should cut Dareus.

Somebody has to fill the roster. Its not like you can just bring 52 or start 10 on a side.

Shame TeamPegula has enough money and there is no salary cap or limit on Coaches and trainers and assistants. That would really toughen them up !!

Ask Mr Wilson about sucking it up and making do with Borscht 5 nights a week like the immigrants did! When escargot meant snails from the basement for protein.

candy asssed Bills and their spoiled players.