Topic of the day 6/28: Best draft pick that never was?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams Fina and Burris all decent to good players...man your standards are high

I would say Corey Moore. JD Williams you mean right, i thought he sucked actually the other two were solid. All JD had was amazing speed.

Edited by billrooter

Cyrus Kouandjio. Was a huge fan of his at Alabama at thought he'd be an immediate starter--a quality one at that--at right tackle.

Duke Williams is another, thought he had the athleticism and physicality to be a difference maker.

Shawn Nelson was one I really liked as well

That is one ugly document.

crazy how after the third round that most of those guys don't make it.

If I'm a GM I am trading back in the first to get more second rounders and then trading every thing after the third to get as many third rounders I can. If you can walk away with a first, two seconds and two thirds its a steal as it gives you 5 HIGH quality picks verses when you get seven pick anyway with over half not making it.

edit: 34 ROUNDS !!! Could you imagine watching all that. Would have been sweet to have Karl Ellers and Paul Warfield, two HOFs from 64, play for us.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Shaq Lawson

(I kid..)

A lot of good ones posted already. I was sold on Trent. After the hype with the whole bill Walsh thing, I figured we had stumbled on to something. It was mostly just wishful thinking now that I look back on it.

Edited by QB Bills

Paul Warfield (WR) drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 4th round (28th overall) of the 1964 AFL Draft (3 picks after Bufch Byrd) who made Hall Of Fame - he was drafted by Bills and never was a member because he choose Cleveland instead despite Bills offering him more money. Talked to him once and he said he had more confidence making and staying on Cleveland roster and wanted to play with Jim Brown but thought Daryle Lamonica was a great QB.

Paul Warfield (WR) drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the 4th round (28th overall) of the 1964 AFL Draft (3 picks after Bufch Byrd) who made Hall Of Fame - he was drafted by Bills and never was a member because he choose Cleveland instead despite Bills offering him more money. Talked to him once and he said he had more confidence making and staying on Cleveland roster and wanted to play with Jim Brown but thought Daryle Lamonica was a great QB.

We also drafted Carl Eller in the 1st Rd of the '64 Draft. He chose Minnesota and also had an incredible, HOF career.

Besides Kyle - 2006 was pretty bad.

I bought into McCargo proving people wrong.

I was at Niners training camp the year McCargo, Mario and Manny came out. Remember talking to Lawson about playing with McCargo and him singing his praises. Who would have thunk that that entire trio of NC State linemen would become Bills.

I can't say EJ, I just never saw him as an NFL player and didn't even think he was going to get drafted, by anyone. so....solely because of the Bill Walsh endorsement alone, I'd also say Trentative Edwards. He even started out looking more capable that JP Losman at the time. then..... like every other QB since Kelly..... thud.

Name one player the Bills selected, in any round of any draft, that you thought was a stud but turned out to be a dud...

Do you, or does anybody remember Dan Brandenburg? My memory is sketchy, but here is what I got:

He was drafted in 1996 in round 7. I remember thinking he was small for a DE but his combine numbers were good. He was fast enough to play lb. No problem! :)

When he hit the field in preseason he had qb sacks galore. He seemed to have blazing speed and good strength. I thought he was a freaking steal and couldn't figure out how he lasted until round 7. He looked like something special, until the season started.....

He made the team and was absolutely crushed. He was pancaked at will on the rare occasions he played at lb, and never had a sack. He did last a few years on special teams, although I saw him get beat up there a couple of times as well.

How about a thread about players that Bills fans KNEW would bust out?