Topic of the day 6/28: Best draft pick that never was?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd Collins.

I thought he was going to be our future after Kelly. I still think he should have been given more time, but it just wasn't meant to be.

John Kolesar.

Some people said this guy was the next Steve Largent. As far as I know, he never saw the field. Injuries?

Do you, or does anybody remember Dan Brandenburg? My memory is sketchy, but here is what I got:

He was drafted in 1996 in round 7. I remember thinking he was small for a DE but his combine numbers were good. He was fast enough to play lb. No problem! :)

When he hit the field in preseason he had qb sacks galore. He seemed to have blazing speed and good strength. I thought he was a freaking steal and couldn't figure out how he lasted until round 7. He looked like something special, until the season started.....

He made the team and was absolutely crushed. He was pancaked at will on the rare occasions he played at lb, and never had a sack. He did last a few years on special teams, although I saw him get beat up there a couple of times as well.

How about a thread about players that Bills fans KNEW would bust out?

:thumbsup:

Maybin was the most obvious to me, but I was also appalled with the Perry Tuttle and Booker Moore picks... less than zero expectations for those 3. Didn't like the Lil Donte pick either, but I thought he'd be a lot better player than he was. Many others I didn't like but gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt. :doh:

Tom Cousineau. He not only was part of the OJ trade but he spurned us and went to play in the CFL. Then his rights were traded to the Browns and we got a number 1 pick that got us Jim Kelly!!!! Thanks Tom for being the best draft pick that never was!!!

I really bought into the hype (2x All American, Orange Bowl MVP, SI cover, #1 overall pick) and expected him to be a Bills stud for years.

He never made the Pro Bowl playing for the Browns or 49ers.

Though - with the Kelly pick - drafting Cousineau worked out for us in the end.

Todd Collins.

I thought he was going to be our future after Kelly. I still think he should have been given more time, but it just wasn't meant to be.

John Kolesar.

Some people said this guy was the next Steve Largent. As far as I know, he never saw the field. Injuries?

Given more time??? Collins played in the NFL for 16 years and never became a good starter!

Actually, I know what you mean. He was supposed to learn from Kelly on the sidelines for a couple years but was forced into service while still a rookie.

That was 1995 when we all still had a ton of faith in our personnel department. A lot of us expected Todd to do well mostly because we drafted well back then.

Now when we/if we draft a QB, we expect him to fail because we've lost our faith.

:thumbsup: Didn't like the Lil Donte pick either, but I thought he'd be a lot better player than he was. Many others I didn't like but gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt. :doh:

As I have said many times, there were players drafted who were a lot worse than Whitner, but Whitner was the worst pick I can remember in semi-recent history.

The 2006 draft was just stacked with very good players at a host of positions of need. Levy/Jauron set the team back for many, many years with their awful, disgraceful draft, and one could easily predict the disaster that ensued.