MMQB Profile of Marquise Goodwin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an Olympian. That is a life long dream that many will never achieve. You don't just throw away a dream like that. Not only that, his wife is an Olympian. He definitely has his priorities strait. Not so sure about some of the posters on this board though. Just don't get the negativity. It's sad to see.

He's had the two longest jumps so far this year. Can you imagine being the best in the world at something? And having the chance to win gold at the Olympics? That's got to be super exciting for an athlete!

As a football player, he's an oft-injured 2nd teamer. No wonder he like track & field more.

I can't blame the guy for trying to do both. As much as I love football, if I was in his shoes, I'd want to compete in the Olympics too.

And, yeah, Goodwin gets a lot of mileage on Bills fan sites. Why not? How many Olympic athletes play for the Bills?

He's not the best Bill, but he is a hardworking young man trying to do something good with his life. I see no problems here.

It will all work itself out. If he can stay healthy and produce during the preseason he will make the team. If not he will be cut. My only real worry is that he makes the team and then gets hurt taking a knee or something las last season.

My perspective on this is pretty simple. If he were somewhat middling in his performance in the long jump, I would say cut him. Why would you keep a player on the roster that you know isn't likely to medal, that's not fully participating in offseason work? He's not though. He's made the two longest jumps so far this year of anyone that has hopes of winning Gold for the U.S. Is he going to be behind in terms of learning plays, calls, etc.? Absolutely. He's not going to compete in the Olympics and then simply take the field. I feel here though that Rex is making the right call.

Your perspective is that you think that a pro team should care if he's any good at the long jump.

That may be simple but it's illogical.

All that should matter to the pro team is whether or not he has talent as a football player.

He does have football talent. That's why they tolerate him. That and because he's cheap. Not because he is a good guy or because he is great at the long jump (except for in the Olympics).

He's a talent lottery ticket.

The odds of cashing that ticket get lower the more weight and strength he loses and the further he gets from football readiness..........but there is nothing to lose at this point...........the draft pick is long gone.......the $2M they've paid him already isn't coming back either.

If they were to have cut him.......someone else would have taken a chance on him because he has talent and would be a cheap gamble on a guy who can probably outrun any DB in the NFL.

He's an Olympian. That is a life long dream that many will never achieve. You don't just throw away a dream like that. Not only that, his wife is an Olympian. He definitely has his priorities strait. Not so sure about some of the posters on this board though. Just don't get the negativity. It's sad to see.

The level of hatred towards 'quise is breathtaking. Billy Joe Neckbert didn't get this much hate.

He's not the first person who works a job that's not his passion but pays well.

The whole fan/pro athlete dynamic will rub some the wrong way here, but props to him. Go win the gold.

Most people, everywhere, work a job that's not their passion because it pays. So I love seeing anyone chase their dream;

life circumstances beats the desire out of way too many people. Go, 88.

While I hope he wins the gold, I dont know that a guy as fragile and skinny as he is should be cutting body fat and playing NFL football. Smart for the Bills that they addressed the speedy need WR with Listenbee, who is actually bulking up be NFL level durable.

He's had the two longest jumps so far this year. Can you imagine being the best in the world at something? And having the chance to win gold at the Olympics? That's got to be super exciting for an athlete!

As a football player, he's an oft-injured 2nd teamer. No wonder he like track & field more.

I can't blame the guy for trying to do both. As much as I love football, if I was in his shoes, I'd want to compete in the Olympics too.

And, yeah, Goodwin gets a lot of mileage on Bills fan sites. Why not? How many Olympic athletes play for the Bills?

He's not the best Bill, but he is a hardworking young man trying to do something good with his life. I see no problems here.

Remember when he came to the Bills he said he was a football player first and a long jumper second... well being made of glass has quickly shifted his agenda. Edited by Beef Jerky

He's not the first person who works a job that's not his passion but pays well.

The whole fan/pro athlete dynamic will rub some the wrong way here, but props to him. Go win the gold.

Most people, everywhere, work a job that's not their passion because it pays. So I love seeing anyone chase their dream;

life circumstances beats the desire out of way too many people. Go, 88.

:beer:

Go get us the Gold, Marquise!

I guess at the end my question is can the two separate goals really coexist

I respect the personal dream.....the fact that he and his wife do it as a tandem makes me respect it even more. A lot of sacrifices are made for a family to do something this extreme

but

Is there something in Goodwin's training to make him a inhuman machine for this one even....that turns him into Mr. Glass if he is touched by another human?

I honestly dont know much about olympic events and training....i have trained an coached football players and I have been around speed coaches when they did their training and coaching....but the diet to go along with such programs is like 5000 calories a day because your trying to put on muscule mass while increasing quick twitch speed, explosion, high end speed, and the cardio to keep it up for 4 quarters

Eventually.....I wonder what Goodwin the football player (post olympics) would actually look like on the field....because frankly nobody can cover him AND....I wonder if that product looks like Kolbe Listenbee

• 2 weeks later...

Cutting it close

Buffalo Bills receiver Marquise Goodwin advanced to Sunday's finals in the long jump, placing 12th in Saturday's preliminary round at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials in an event where only 12 athletes move on. Goodwin said he was sloppy and feeling a little rusty while messing up his first two jumps of the day, but isn't at all worried about finishing in the top three in the finals to qualify for Rio.

goodwin scapegoating football time taking away from track time for his inability ot make the team would be fantastically ironic.

go bills.

Fortunately, he's not scapegoating...

He says playing football has helped him in the long jump.

"It's toughness," Goodwin said. "Strain a hamstring going in, you just have to push through it. You can't make excuses. You can't go out there and say, 'I have a hurt hammy or I got a broken hand.' When you're on the field, you just have to go out there and compete. You give it your all. If you win, you win; if you lose, you lose -- you take your L's like you take your W's.

"At the end of the day, you have to remember -- this is fun. You can't take the fun out of it."

If Goodwin qualifies for the Olympics, he says winning a medal in Rio would complete a dream he has had since he was 9 years old.

"It would be No. 1, being that I've never won an Olympic medal," he said. "I've accomplished a lot, but an Olympic medal is something I've always dreamed of. The Super Bowl, as well. If I could get two of those, I could probably die right after. God forbid that happened, but I could."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/16714136/olympic-track-trials-2016-marquise-goodwin-reaches-long-jump-finals

Edited by hondo in seattle

"It's toughness," Goodwin said. "Strain a hamstring going in, you just have to push through it. You can't make excuses. You can't go out there and say, 'I have a hurt hammy or I got a broken hand.' When you're on the field, you just have to go out there and compete. You give it your all. If you win, you win; if you lose, you lose -- you take your L's like you take your W's.

"At the end of the day, you have to remember -- this is fun. You can't take the fun out of it."

If Goodwin qualifies for the Olympics, he says winning a medal in Rio would complete a dream he has had since he was 9 years old.

"It would be No. 1, being that I've never won an Olympic medal," he said. "I've accomplished a lot, but an Olympic medal is something I've always dreamed of. The Super Bowl, as well. If I could get two of those, I could probably die right after. God forbid that happened, but I could."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/16714136/olympic-track-trials-2016-marquise-goodwin-reaches-long-jump-finals

if he even makes the olympics, i'll continue to stand by my statement is that he won't medal.

everyone who doen't know track kept trumping up that he has had the best jump of the year this year... haha

Hilariously, he's never, EVER played through any injuries on the field.

if he even makes the olympics, i'll continue to stand by my statement is that he won't medal.

everyone who doen't know track kept trumping up that he has had the best jump of the year this year... haha

ill go along with this. He's a joke of a long jumper. Won't medal. Edited by mrags