Blake Annen

Admittedly I didn't even now he was on our practice squad. After reading the article on BB.com - seems to me like a player to keep an eye on.

“He’s a very gifted athlete,” said Bills tight ends coach Tony Sparano Jr. “His speed, his athleticism are there for all to see. But the fact that he’s able to pair that with his work ethic and with being as coachable as he is and being a student of the game that he is, is why I’m a big believer in his ability and his potential.”

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude lit up his Pro Day a couple years ago. Absolute specimen.

6'4", 247 pounds. Ran a 4.41, tested at least average in every other drill. Definitely a guy that I will keep a keen eye on in preseason. There's a H-Back/TE job open and I'd rather he got it than O'Leary.

Why is he getting released from all these teams

It has to be that he's just not good enough, right - but darn a 6'4" 247 lb guy running 4.31 - 4.52 40's seems interesting. Great athleticism, good size, work ethic, coachable, student of the game - I gotta see what this is all about.

I just found him to be an interesting guy to follow.

He played for the Bears so Kromer must see some potential. Very good speed for his size.

Played in 5 games in 2014. No real stats.

Kallage "highlights" fwtw:

https://youtu.be/yg9DVmezBKE?list=PL4IA_itPIQnSq-UWaVfR2afJ_BDgeKNA6

https://youtu.be/n938hcvYrrw?list=PL4IA_itPIQnSq-UWaVfR2afJ_BDgeKNA6

NFL Draft Profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/blake-annen?id=2549907

I think he's 250 lbs now, so he's a bit heavier than his 245 Development League weight.

From his time as Chip Kelly's dream scheme machine:

"The Eagles are set at tight end, but adding new weapons is always appealing to Chip Kelly. The tight end position is one of strength for the Eagles and the addition of Blake Annen makes it even better. While he went undrafted, Annen displays skills that completely fit what Kelly wants to do on offense.

A versatile pass catcher with a similar style of play to Brent Celek in his early years, Annen played in several spots in the Cincinnati offense. Although he was able to play in a lot of spots in college, his production as a pass catcher was a bit limited.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/19/5714176/eagles-draft-picks-blake-annen-rookie-profile

From the Packer's site:

"Blake Annen (ANN-in), a 6-foot-4, 245-pound second-year player out of the University of Cincinnati, originally signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as a non-drafted free agent on May 12, 2014. After being released by the Eagles on Aug. 23, 2014, he was signed to the Chicago Bears’ practice squad on Sept. 18, 2014. Annen was elevated to the Bears’ active roster on Nov. 8, 2014, where he remained for the rest of the season, seeing action in five games. He was released by Chicago on Sept. 2, 2015, and spent just over a week on the New Orleans Saints’ practice squad before being released on Sept. 15, 2015. Annen will wear No. 43 for the Packers." Packers released him October 16, 2015.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/blake-annen/458adc7c-0f83-4f69-8dcc-de0d5071c1a0/

What! Tony Sparano Jr.is our Tight Ends coach???

:o

Pay attention.

It has to be that he's just not good enough, right - but darn a 6'4" 247 lb guy running 4.31 - 4.52 40's seems interesting. Great athleticism, good size, work ethic, coachable, student of the game - I gotta see what this is all about.

I just found him to be an interesting guy to follow.

Young players get released all the time and go on to be decent for other teams. Anyone here thought Kamar Aiken was a starting WR? Bills and Patriots didnt. Ravens didnt either until injury gave him a chance.

Most likely he washes out, but who knows.

D'Rick was a specimen too.

In Clay's absence Annen is running with the ones (him and Gragg), not the FA TE Dray or last years' draft pick O'Leary. "El" Rick Rogers had the talent but not the discipline or desire Annen has shown so far in practice, and IIRC Rogers never practiced with the starters.

Anyway, it's good news that we might have found someone of value to a need position.

I found it interesting that Sparano Jr had to teach Annen some technique. The head fake etc.

If he is in need of Coaching and Coachable he might improve his game ? Right ?

Lets us not sleep on him.

He'll make the team. Over O'Leary.

After bringing in Dray a s a blocker. I would agree it is likely Annen makes the squad.

I found it interesting that Sparano Jr had to teach Annen some technique. The head fake etc.

If he is in need of Coaching and Coachable he might improve his game ? Right ?

If you're like 95% of the NFL and not blessed with everything needed to excel, you need to combine your talent with good, old-fashioned hard work.

It doesn't guarantee success but it gives you opportunity. Guys like Annen bounce around, the ones with the work ethic get recommendations from coaches. Most free agents are lacking something but the lazy ones rarely get multiple chances.

If you're like 95% of the NFL and not blessed with everything needed to excel, you need to combine your talent with good, old-fashioned hard work.

It doesn't guarantee success but it gives you opportunity. Guys like Annen bounce around, the ones with the work ethic get recommendations from coaches. Most free agents are lacking something but the lazy ones rarely get multiple chances.

Without question. You cannot keep everyone when paring down to 53.

I did take notice of Sparano's comments though.

This Kid may have found a home.

Gragg has yet to secure his position in my opinion, due to play and injuries.

O Leary is a project and PS guy still i might imagine.

If they keep 3 it will be a battle between Gragg and Annen

and the Dray and O Leary based upon their strengths i think