Ravens' LT Eugene Monroe Released after No Trade - Retired

Not expecting it but until after last season there was plenty of talk about moving Cordy to RT, so doing so wouldn't be a big deal and it would fill a glaring need at RT.

Unless Eugene is injured or they don't feel he would hold up, it's Whaleys job to get the best line in here and Monroe and Glenn as bookends would do that. Some say on here that we ran fan with the guys we had last year but those fine running yds were over inflated with the running of TT who when scrambling isn't depending on good blockers but his athleticism to run the ball.

Most would agree that our right side is weak especially RT and upgrading that position would help us tremendously. It's hard to quantify how many wins one player brings but that could be said about any position except QB. What is most important is the collective whole and upgrading as many positions as possible can only help us win more games.

Our RT is a huge weakness and is why the FO is constantly bringing in guys off the scrapheap to try out for the position.

Move the better left tackle to right tackle - sign the inferior player to play left because he refuses to play right sounds like a great idea to you?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't you agree that Glenn and Monroe would make better a better Tackle combo than Glenn and what ever bum emerges?

Glenn is better than Monroe but pass rushers are coming from both sides so right and left aren't as important any more.

Also if Eugene sits for awhile he may reconsider playing on the right and then the whole point is moot anyway.

Bottom line is we need a better RT and EVERYBODY knows it, and if a guy like Monroe becomes available you take him and sort out the details latter.

Why Seattle?

I get what you are saying, Monroe at LT is a slight step down from Glenn at LT but then moving Glen over to RT would be a huge upgrade over what was there. But I think that overall that even if the Bills offered that (And Glenn was cool with it for some reason) Monroe still wouldn't accept. I think Seattle and Carolina offer him better locations in terms of there being a pure positional fit and a better overall opportunity for him.

To sum up, 1- Glenn isn't going to want to move for a player he knows he is better then, even after getting paid. 2- The Bills wouldn't have the money to lure Monroe away from top teams like Seattle and Carolina who could offer at least as much if not more than the Bills to play his desired position without displacing a very good player at that position.

Move the better left tackle to right tackle - sign the inferior player to play left because he refuses to play right sounds like a great idea to you?

So we should go with crap at RT? Cordy is a team player and would move knowing he still is making the same money.

I get what you are saying, Monroe at LT is a slight step down from Glenn at LT but then moving Glen over to RT would be a huge upgrade over what was there. But I think that overall that even if the Bills offered that (And Glenn was cool with it for some reason) Monroe still wouldn't accept. I think Seattle and Carolina offer him better locations in terms of there being a pure positional fit and a better overall opportunity for him.

To sum up, 1- Glenn isn't going to want to move for a player he knows he is better then, even after getting paid. 2- The Bills wouldn't have the money to lure Monroe away from top teams like Seattle and Carolina who could offer at least as much if not more than the Bills to play his desired position without displacing a very good player at that position.

Good point, wasn't aware of Seattle and Carolina needs, but if we can get him we should.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Wouldn't you agree that Glenn and Monroe would make better a better Tackle combo than Glenn and what ever bum emerges?

Glenn is better than Monroe but pass rushers are coming from both sides so right and left aren't as important any more.

Also if Eugene sits for awhile he may reconsider playing on the right and then the whole point is moot anyway.

Bottom line is we need a better RT and EVERYBODY knows it, and if a guy like Monroe becomes available you take him and sort out the details latter.

Why Seattle?

He has said he won't play RT and Seattle needs an upgrade, from what I have read.

I agree about an upgrade at RT but i get the feeling Bills are not going to spend this year , and start J. Mills

Edited by 3rdand12

• 1 month later...

I guess when you're still young, you have a bunch of money, and you aren't thrilled with your options, that's what you do.

I hope it's a personal choice and not one the league is forcing on him for personal stances.

EDIT: @RapSheet

Free agent tackle Eugene Monroe is set to retire, as @JosinaAnderson said. He'll announce his reasons today in @PlayersTribune.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I hope it's a personal choice and not one the league is forcing on him for personal stances.

EDIT: @RapSheet

Free agent tackle Eugene Monroe is set to retire, as @JosinaAnderson said. He'll announce his reasons today in @PlayersTribune.

i dont think any of us would be shocked if his personal opinions bleed into personal choices, which may be making it hard for him to be in the league.

i dont think any of us would be shocked if his personal opinions bleed into personal choices, which may be making it hard for him to be in the league.

Never failed a drug test. I'm not even sure he does partake in the weed himself. I think it's more about being against prescription painkillers.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Never failed a drug test. I'm not even sure he does partake in the weed himself. I think it's more about being against prescription painkillers.

so you are saying you would be shocked if you sat down with a beer with him to chat about his retirement and that at least in part, a desire to be outside league rules on the drug policy was on his list of reasons he hangs it up?

if hes young, rich, and his body is sore - it wouldnt much surprise me to hear that he said screw it, im doing me.

so you are saying you would be shocked if you sat down with a beer with him to chat about his retirement and that at least in part, a desire to be outside league rules on the drug policy was on his list of reasons he hangs it up?

if hes young, rich, and his body is sore - it wouldnt much surprise me to hear that he said screw it, im doing me.

It might have a part to play in it but I think the biggest part of the stance he's taken is beyond just his wellbeing.

The guy made himself a huge target. I don't think he does that if he's selfishly motivated. He could just sneak off with his money and get baked if he wanted to.

very well written piece by him

While his concerns for his health are poignant, this was the excerpt from his article I enjoyed the most:

What I will probably miss more than anything else is God’s play: Power.

It’s a gap-scheme play in which I immediately place myself in position with the guard next to me. I hit the end-man on the line of scrimmage (either a defensive end or a linebacker) on my third step. And it’s at that moment that my guard and I both know that it’s over. We take the defensive lineman off his feet, drive him off of the ball and create a cavern of a running lane. It is a magical, perfect experience that exemplifies what teamwork — not to mention kicking ass — is all about.

You gotta love warriors.

Good article - nice explanation of his love of football and exit from it.

While his concerns for his health are poignant, this was the excerpt from his article I enjoyed the most:

What I will probably miss more than anything else is God’s play: Power.

It’s a gap-scheme play in which I immediately place myself in position with the guard next to me. I hit the end-man on the line of scrimmage (either a defensive end or a linebacker) on my third step. And it’s at that moment that my guard and I both know that it’s over. We take the defensive lineman off his feet, drive him off of the ball and create a cavern of a running lane. It is a magical, perfect experience that exemplifies what teamwork — not to mention kicking ass — is all about.

You gotta love warriors.

Good article - nice explanation of his love of football and exit from it.

Man that was cool