Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

wow...just wow..listened to the game on Saturday...saw brief highlights of last nights game. Glad i did not watch either.

Who knows Gionta's NMC/NT language? I know the dude has had a decent year...but some of this weekend has to fall on him no?

He got to go toooo! Still pissed at him from tank year, so I may be biased.

I am just pissed i committed to my son doing a mini road trip to watch this squad next week....just put a stick in my eye now!!!!

It looks like Gionta submits a list of 5 teams he is willing to be traded to. My quick google search listed it as a 24 team no-trade clause. I assume that leaves 5 since he is currently a Sabre (24+5+1=30). That has some flexibility though. Say they reach a deal with a team not on the list. They can talk it over with him and if he's happy, he can modify the list.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether they do or not there is no value coming back in return.

When a GM makes a lot of deals not all deals are going to work out. That's the real world. But when you make a mistake in an area of weakness you create a bigger hole that can't be overcome. The Kulikov for Pysyk deal certainly hurts. You give up a steady defenseman in Pysyk for an erratic defenseman who consistently gives up the puck and poorly reacts to the action. The Sabres got Bogo back in the Myers deal. Kane is a terrific get. But Bogo is a major disappointment.

All teams have weaknesses. But when your weakness on defense is so glaring it's liabilities reverberate throughout the rest of the roster.

I've started to be more open minded on trading Kane for defensive help. If the GM can get a top two pairing defenseman who is young I will be open to such a deal. If Kane is not in their long term plans then this asset at its highest value should be parlayed to get some help on the blue line.

When you compare Toronto to Buffalo in their respective rebuilds you see the more northern team be smarter and focused on that challenging endeavor.

(1) compounding the Bogosian and Kulikov decisions is the fact that each was viewed as top 4 defensemen on this roster. Neither is playing that way, so it leaves the team with a bunch of 5's and 6's.

(2) I've gone the other way on Kane for several reasons. See #1 for one of them. I don't know if Murray has the right viewpoint on Defensemen and I don't trust that he will get a good return for Kane. Seems as though Murray wants two-way guys (who doesn't) but he should stick with primarily stay-at-home guys and one or two puck movers.

(1) compounding the Bogosian and Kulikov decisions is the fact that each was viewed as top 4 defensemen on this roster. Neither is playing that way, so it leaves the team with a bunch of 5's and 6's.

(2) I've gone the other way on Kane for several reasons. See #1 for one of them. I don't know if Murray has the right viewpoint on Defensemen and I don't trust that he will get a good return for Kane. Seems as though Murray wants two-way guys (who doesn't) but he should stick with primarily stay-at-home guys and one or two puck movers.

With respect to your first point you are correct that the GM over-rated these players. Neither are top two pairing caliber defensemen not because of their physical talents but because they are not adept at making quick reads and responding properly to the play as it is developing. Kulikov's instincts as the play is unfolding is awful. Bogo is one of those players if he is competing in a skills competition and is being judged for his physical attributes he would be a stud player. On the ice he, like Kulikov, is not very smart about reading the play and reacting. A disqualifying attribute to have for a defenseman.

With respect to your point two statement it's apparent that he wants two way players. Who wouldn't? Kulikov as a Pantherwas considered to be an inconsistent player who regularly made killer mistakes at crucial points in the game. He is like a a qb who can't make reads. You either have that ability or not. If you don't you can't be trusted on the ice. So what's the point of sending him over the boards?

The bottom line is that Pysyk was a good player for us. He wasn't Murray's type of player. So he sent a positive player out the door and he opened the door for a negative player. That doesn't add up.

Edited by JohnC

GMTM is the Manchurian general manager. Unbeknownst to him as it may be, it is clear that his uncle in Ottawa is pulling the strings behind every move Timmy makes. I am determined to find out what his "activation" word is and how it might be used against the Sens. All I have now is: "gordie"

GMTM is the Manchurian general manager. Unbeknownst to him as it may be, it is clear that his uncle in Ottawa is pulling the strings behind every move Timmy makes. I am determined to find out what his "activation" word is and how it might be used against the Sens. All I have now is: "gordie"

Who are you, Frank Sinatra?

uofgD0yf_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

PREDATORS (31-22-9) at SABRES (26-26-10)

TUE FEB 28, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 304)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 62 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 26 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 12 games
Robin Lehner (upper body, Feb. 26) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/24: Recalled F Justin Bailey and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Zemgus Girgensons from IR; Assigned F Derek Grant to Rochester
2/26: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, March 2: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 4: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 5: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 7: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 10: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

PREDATORS at SABRES
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Predators this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Nashville 5-4 in Nashville on Jan. 24
The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Predators; 1-6-3 at home.
This is the 23rd game all-time between Buffalo and Nashville; Buffalo has a 9-10-3 series record.
The Sabres are 1-6-3 at home against the Predators all-time.

Morning Skate: February 28, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I have not watched Pysyk as a Panther. However, I have extensively watched Pysyk play as a Sabre. He was a good puck moving defenseman and an efficient and smart player. He quickly and cleanly got the puck out of his zone. His style of play was the opposite of Kulikov who when you watch him your nerves get jangled because you are expecting him to turn the puck.

Pysyk is a quiet and efficient player. Kulikov is noticeable for his glaring mistakes that come at a rapid rate.

Murray preferred the more physical and banging player over the smoother and efficient style of play. He lost in the deal. Many deals turn out to be win/win deals for the trading partners. Not in this case.

With respect to the Kane issue what it comes down to is what are the GM's long term plans for him. That's what is going to govern how he acts in this case, most likely after the season and prior to the draft. I just hope Murray doesn't out-think the situation and end up outsmarting himself again.

Pysyk was "quiet & efficient" playing against 3rd & 4th liners.

He's a 5/6 tops.

It really stinks that one of the richest owners in the league had a $4MM D's season tanked by a $10 door clasp. Kulikov has not been good, but he has essentially been playing w/ a broken tailbone the entire year.

The trade hasn't worked out, but Pysyk isn't a keeper & would not have been protected in the Vegas draft. Barring the fluke injury, the trade might have / probably would've worked out.

If Bile-sma is a dump and chase coach, we should trade in our skill players for a bunch of 6'6" 230lb monsters to bang bodies and scrap for goals. Our little guys are gonna get worn out at this rate. It seems to me Bile-sma is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Bring on the neutral zone passing game....I've had enough of this crashing the boards BS.

If Bile-sma is a dump and chase coach, we should trade in our skill players for a bunch of 6'6" 230lb monsters to bang bodies and scrap for goals. Our little guys are gonna get worn out at this rate. It seems to me Bile-sma is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Bring on the neutral zone passing game....I've had enough of this crashing the boards BS.

that actually sounds like fun, would it work?

2-28: DAN BYLSMA ON WGR (15:10)

#Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR!

Bylsma - we definitely took some bumps and bruises to the ego after the losses to COL and ARZ. We came out on the short end #Sabres

Bylsma - it was a concern going into the break with how we would respond in the games following the break... #Sabres

Bylsma - ...We knew we had to win at least 2 of 3 after the break and before the deadline, and we didn't get it done #Sabres

Bylsma - As we mature & try to be a winning team, we know we'll make mistakes. We made a mistake on 1st ARZ goal, & we got tight after that

Bylsma - we didn't react appropriately to the mistake, sat back on our heels and the Coyotes came after us. #Sabres

Bylsma - our first 30 games were not good w/scoring from our defensemen. It has improved quite a bit, but we still need improvement #Sabres

Bylsma - nothing new on Robin Lehner. Going to see the doctors this morning, We'll wait and see #Sabres

Bylsma - when's Lehner's healthy, we'll see him for a good portion of the rest of the season #Sabres

Bylsma - Evan Rodrigues has stepped in well for us at center. He's earned the right to come back and played well in COL and ARZ #Sabres

Bylsma - you're going to continue to see E-Rod play in the situations he was playing against COL and ARZ. He has responded well #Sabres

Pysyk was "quiet & efficient" playing against 3rd & 4th liners.

He's a 5/6 tops.

It really stinks that one of the richest owners in the league had a $4MM D's season tanked by a $10 door clasp. Kulikov has not been good, but he has essentially been playing w/ a broken tailbone the entire year.

The trade hasn't worked out, but Pysyk isn't a keeper & would not have been protected in the Vegas draft. Barring the fluke injury, the trade might have / probably would've worked out.

I don't doubt that Kulikov has been bothered by an injury all season long. However, what is obvious is about Kulikov, healthy or not, is that he has poor instincts reacting to plays. That was the criticism of him in Florida, and it is apparent that he hasn't improved in that crucial aspect of the game.

You point out it was unfair to compare Pysyk to Kulikov because he was playing against third or fourth line players. What you didn't point out was that Pysyk was a rookie and that he was still going back and forth to Rochester. He was a young, developing player who was a puck carrying and passing defenseman. He was not a particularly physical player but that was not his style of play. He was a good positional player who efficiently either carried or passed the puck out of his zone. Kulikov is in his own end is just as likely to pass the puck to the opposition as he would to his own teammates.

Kulikov and Pysyk are two different types of players. Kulikov is horrible at what he does and Pysyk is better at what he does. The GM created a bigger deficit on the blue line when he brought in the Russian and sent out the better player. Murray got fleeced on the deal.

I don't doubt that Kulikov has been bothered by an injury all season long. However, what is obvious is about Kulikov, healthy or not, is that he has poor instincts reacting to plays. That was the criticism of him in Florida, and it is apparent that he hasn't improved in that crucial aspect of the game.

You point out it was unfair to compare Pysyk to Kulikov because he was playing against third or fourth line players. What you didn't point out was that Pysyk was a rookie and that he was still going back and forth to Rochester. He was a young, developing player who was a puck carrying and passing defenseman. He was not a particularly physical player but that was not his style of play. He was a good positional player who efficiently either carried or passed the puck out of his zone. Kulikov is in his own end is just as likely to pass the puck to the opposition as he would to his own teammates.

Kulikov and Pysyk are two different types of players. Kulikov is horrible at what he does and Pysyk is better at what he does. The GM created a bigger deficit on the blue line when he brought in the Russian and sent out the better player. Murray got fleeced on the deal.

Ignoring the trade for a second, I think you're overvaluing Pysyk a bit here. It became fairly clear last year that this team didn't the most glowing view of him as he was up in the press box fairly consistently. Whether it was a system fit or something else, he wasn't a guy that Byslma was going to lean on (whether or not that's a bad decision is a discussion for another day). And he wasn't just a rookie riding the shuttle back and forth to Rochester. He was already on his second contract at that point, so he was no longer entry level and they should have had a better idea for what they had or didn't have in him. I lean more towards him being JAG.

As for the trade itself, I really don't mind rolling the dice hoping to turn a 5-7 guy into a 3-4 guy. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but I don't think we lost all that much. Let's just hope that Asplund becomes something in 3 years or so. That's all we have to show now (minus any deadline deal return).

If the morning skate line combos remain intact for the game, then Bylsma has officially lost his mind and should be fired immediately for cause.

Gio on the second line with Kane and Eichel.

Samson on the third line with Erod and Foligno.

Girgs bumped down to the fourth line with Ennis and Moulson.

So,

Worst performing line over the weekend remains intact.

Girgs, playing his best hockey of the season, gets rewarded with a demotion.

And Gio, the little engine that couldn't, replaces the player our best offensive player has the best chemistry with.

Makes perfect sense.

Edited by K-9

Ignoring the trade for a second, I think you're overvaluing Pysyk a bit here. It became fairly clear last year that this team didn't the most glowing view of him as he was up in the press box fairly consistently. Whether it was a system fit or something else, he wasn't a guy that Byslma was going to lean on (whether or not that's a bad decision is a discussion for another day). And he wasn't just a rookie riding the shuttle back and forth to Rochester. He was already on his second contract at that point, so he was no longer entry level and they should have had a better idea for what they had or didn't have in him. I lean more towards him being JAG.

As for the trade itself, I really don't mind rolling the dice hoping to turn a 5-7 guy into a 3-4 guy. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but I don't think we lost all that much. Let's just hope that Asplund becomes something in 3 years or so. That's all we have to show now (minus any deadline deal return).

For the Sabres Pysyk would be a second pairing defenseman. On a better team he is a third pairing caliber of player. I'm not attempting to puff up his talent level to make a critical point regarding the trade for Kulikov. Was Bylsma dissatisfied with Pysyk? Maybe so. But Paul Hamilton on WGR stated that it was Murray who had little regard for Pysyk and his style of play. And the GM was not afraid to discuss his assessment on him to people covering his team. (side note WGR 's Paul Hamilton had a higher regard for Pysyk.)

Is the distaste for Pysyk related to style of play, as you suggested? Probably so. But it's still my judgment that Pysyk is a more effective defensman than Kulikov because he plays a steadier and more intelligent game than the Russian's. Word is out within the organization (credible or not) that the Sabres would love lose him to the expansion draft and if that doesn't happen there isn't much interest in retaining him.

Pysyk is what he is and Kulikov is what he is. On defense I'll take steady play over erratic play especially on a team with little margin for error.

If the morning skate line combos remain intact for the game, then Bylsma has officially lost his mind and should be fired immediately for cause.

Gio on the second line with Kane and Eichel.

Samson on the third line with Erod and Foligno.

Girgs bumped down to the fourth line with Ennis and Moulson.

So,

Worst performing line over the weekend remains intact.

Girgs, playing his best hockey of the season, gets rewarded with a demotion.

And Gio, the little engine that couldn't, replaces the player our best offensive player has the best chemistry with.

Makes perfect sense.

You left out the best part, Samson is playing 3rd line wing. Haha wtf?

Sabres just traded Catenacci for Bodie, a LHD. That probably means the boot for Kulikov.

Edited by QCity