Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. bsydtiLu_200x200.jpg

SABRES (26-25-10) at COYOTES (21-32-7)

SUN FEB 26, 2017 @ 8:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 300)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 61 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 25 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 11 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/20: Assigned F Justin Bailey, F Nicholas Baptiste and F Evan Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)
2/24: Recalled F Justin Bailey and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Zemgus Girgensons from IR; Assigned F Derek Grant to Rochester

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Feb. 28: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 2: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 4: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 5: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 7: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES AT COYOTES
This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Coyotes this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Arizona 2-1 in Arizona on Jan. 18, 2016
Next meeting: Thursday, March 2 in Buffalo
The Sabres are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Coyotes; 8-2-0 on the road.
This is the 75th game all-time between Buffalo and Arizona/Winnipeg; Buffalo has a 44-21-9 series record.
The Sabres are 20-14-2 on the road against the Coyotes/Jets all-time.

Morning Skate: February 26, 2017 at 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm at Gila River Arena

They fell victim to the bye week sluggishness that has plagued so many teams. After the first 15 minutes they were the better team. Just fell a bit short.

5 days off is just dumb in Hockey they should just space the games out properly and no back to backs.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Yes, and hopefully the last. It will surely be put on hold next season because of the Olympics.

Thanks. I kind of pay attention to the Capitals, because I listen to Tony Kornheiser every day. Not that he talks much about hockey, but he was saying how they were on such a roll, and then they go on this bye, and then all the momentum was gone..........Seems like they need to change this for sure.

I went to bed thinking that Buffalo with the score 2-0 had this game easily in hand. Woke to find out that it lost. Being a Buffalo pro sports fan is a sorry plight. Systemic and generational failure. It's sad, tiresome and boring. It's ridiculous.

What makes the situation so intolerable is that you see teams in their respective sports that were once bad eventually become good. In Buffalo the teams sometimes make some hopeful gestures indicating they are on the rise only to face the reality that mediocrity is their highest level of attainment. In systems that promote parity you continue to suuuck. It's so stupid.

If nothing else, this will convince them to do what they should have done anyway and ship out the UFAs at the deadline. They're not building for 2017.

Whether they do or not there is no value coming back in return.

When a GM makes a lot of deals not all deals are going to work out. That's the real world. But when you make a mistake in an area of weakness you create a bigger hole that can't be overcome. The Kulikov for Pysyk deal certainly hurts. You give up a steady defenseman in Pysyk for an erratic defenseman who consistently gives up the puck and poorly reacts to the action. The Sabres got Bogo back in the Myers deal. Kane is a terrific get. But Bogo is a major disappointment.

All teams have weaknesses. But when your weakness on defense is so glaring it's liabilities reverberate throughout the rest of the roster.

I've started to be more open minded on trading Kane for defensive help. If the GM can get a top two pairing defenseman who is young I will be open to such a deal. If Kane is not in their long term plans then this asset at its highest value should be parlayed to get some help on the blue line.

When you compare Toronto to Buffalo in their respective rebuilds you see the more northern team be smarter and focused on that challenging endeavor.

Edited by JohnC

In terms of deadline stuff, you're right. There won't be much value returning, but I'd still take something over nothing. If nothing else, a couple extra second or third round picks are trade fodder for the offseason.

Pysyk-Kulikov: I have not watched Florida at all. How has he been? The numbers don't tell much of a story for a defenseman.

As for Kane, I'm not convinced that deal is out there. I think you'd wind up getting more of a project player or two as opposed to the guy who steps into that top 4 role right away. That feels like a lateral move at best as opposed to something that helps them now (or next season, given that I think any deal would be made during the offseason).

In terms of deadline stuff, you're right. There won't be much value returning, but I'd still take something over nothing. If nothing else, a couple extra second or third round picks are trade fodder for the offseason.

Pysyk-Kulikov: I have not watched Florida at all. How has he been? The numbers don't tell much of a story for a defenseman.

As for Kane, I'm not convinced that deal is out there. I think you'd wind up getting more of a project player or two as opposed to the guy who steps into that top 4 role right away. That feels like a lateral move at best as opposed to something that helps them now (or next season, given that I think any deal would be made during the offseason).

I have not watched Pysyk as a Panther. However, I have extensively watched Pysyk play as a Sabre. He was a good puck moving defenseman and an efficient and smart player. He quickly and cleanly got the puck out of his zone. His style of play was the opposite of Kulikov who when you watch him your nerves get jangled because you are expecting him to turn the puck.

Pysyk is a quiet and efficient player. Kulikov is noticeable for his glaring mistakes that come at a rapid rate.

Murray preferred the more physical and banging player over the smoother and efficient style of play. He lost in the deal. Many deals turn out to be win/win deals for the trading partners. Not in this case.

With respect to the Kane issue what it comes down to is what are the GM's long term plans for him. That's what is going to govern how he acts in this case, most likely after the season and prior to the draft. I just hope Murray doesn't out-think the situation and end up outsmarting himself again.

Dave Davis@DaveDavisHockey 12h

In the past six weeks, the Sabres have faced all five teams with the NHL's worst records. They've lost to all five of them.

15 replies86 retweets105 likes

wow...just wow..listened to the game on Saturday...saw brief highlights of last nights game. Glad i did not watch either.

Who knows Gionta's NMC/NT language? I know the dude has had a decent year...but some of this weekend has to fall on him no?

He got to go toooo! Still pissed at him from tank year, so I may be biased.

I am just pissed i committed to my son doing a mini road trip to watch this squad next week....just put a stick in my eye now!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1