Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bottom line is Kulikov is a major liability as a player. Pysyk who is an average player at best was at least not a liability to the extent the Russian is.

Kulikov was a good physical defenseman last season. I still think he's not even close to 100% from his back injury earlier in the season, therefore the physical side has been lacking. It's unfortunate, because he is a good player. He'll never be a top pairing type player, but he's a solid 4 or 5. I can't blame Murry for seeing the potential in him, but he has been a major disappointment to this point. That being said other GM's know he can contribute to a playoff run and I don't think the Sabres will have any problem finding a trade partner.

Kulikov was a good physical defenseman last season. I still think he's not even close to 100% from his back injury earlier in the season, therefore the physical side has been lacking. It's unfortunate, because he is a good player. He'll never be a top pairing type player, but he's a solid 4 or 5. I can't blame Murry for seeing the potential in him, but he has been a major disappointment to this point. That being said other GM's know he can contribute to a playoff run and I don't think the Sabres will have any problem finding a trade partner.

If Kulikov is so far from 100%, then Bylsma needs to go immediately. Falk outplayed him all year and should be in there instead. That simple. The reason why Kuli is ineffective is not relative. There is a better option not playing, regardless. Smacks of Murray insisting Kuli get his minutes.

Kulikov was a physical defenseman for Florida but you are over-rating his play. The knock on him there as it is here is that he too often makes egregious mistakes when passing and covering players and areas. That's why they were so eager to get rid of him. No one is disputing that he is more of a physical player than Pysyk. They have different styles of play. Good defensemen know how to read plays and react. He can't quickly enough process the game. That's a fault that is difficult to overcome.

Kulikov was hurt for a large portion of the season starting from the beginning. No one is challenging that point. But now he is healthy. There may be a demand for him on the market for a discounted price but do you know where there isn't a demand for him? It is within the organization that he is now playing for. That's a reflection on how much he is valued within this franchise that has gaping holes on the blue line.

With respect to the highlighted area do you know who would have been a dependable 4 or 5 defenseman for us? Pysyk.

I am making a retraction. As you all know I have been resolutely in favor of keeping Evander Kane under all circumstances. Out of frustration with our blue line staffing I recently stated that I would be willing to be more receptive to offers for him if it would substantially upgrade our pathetic defense. I am disappointed with myself for wavering on this issue. After watching Kane score his goal yesterday I realized that I should have maintained my unshakable position on keeping him. The beauty of that goal wasn't that explosive shot but it was his powerful skating and burst from the defensive zone to the offensive zone.

I apologize for the unseemly equivocation. I am now more resolute than ever in my desire in keeping Kane. To PlezMd1 I say don't even bother trying to change my mind because you are wasting your time. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

Heather PrusakVerified account @haprusak 31m31 minutes ago

More

Tim Murray says injuries are no excuse but teams had concerns with Kulikov. @WGRZ

Great, so now we're going to lose Kulikov and Franson (and probably Nilsson) at the end of the year and get absolutely nothing in return. Not good Tim, not good.

I disagree. Losing those players is addition by subtraction and that ain't nothing. Excepting Nilsson of course. He's been a net positive imo.

I disagree. Losing those players is addition by subtraction and that ain't nothing. Excepting Nilsson of course. He's been a net positive imo.

Not my point -- they are gone anyway, may as well get something for them. A bag of pucks is still better than an empty bag.

According to GMTM, today was only a "speed bump" and he has a plan....

Heather Prusak‏t @haprusak 3h3 hours ago
#Sabres GM Tim Murray: I have a plan...today was a small little speed bump. @WGRZ

Not my point -- they are gone anyway, may as well get something for them. A bag of pucks is still better than an empty bag.

According to GMTM, today was only a "speed bump" and he has a plan....

Heather Prusak‏t @haprusak 3h3 hours ago
#Sabres GM Tim Murray: I have a plan...today was a small little speed bump. @WGRZ

Well, other teams have witnessed first hand the train wrecks that are Kulikov and Franson. Nothing but mentions the last month of how many scouts there are in the building, etc. They are literally playing as poorly as any two of the worst D men in the league. What team seeking to make a playoff run looks at either one of those two and says, "Yep. That's the piece we need to make that run." I am not surprised in the least that a team wasn't even willing to give up that bag of pucks, let alone a draft pick. Good riddance, regardless, if they leave for nothing. If people need to lament the future 5th round pick never realized, so be it.

In the meantime, they should be yanked in favor of Falk and Fedun who have at least been consistent, if not spectacular.

On another note, this team seems to have checked out mentally. I think part of that may have to do with not liking the non-possession game Bylsma prefers. Understandable, given the talent up front that is perfectly suited for that. But when 4 out of 6 D men are literally incapable of playing that style, well, I'm not sure Bylsma has much recourse there. Makes me wonder what we could have seen with Babcock instead. He's preached possession hockey since his first game in Detroit and I'm not surprised he's letting his talented young core in Toronto do the same.

bsydtiLu_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

COYOTES (22-33-7) at SABRES (26-26-11)

THU MAR 2, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 307)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 63 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 27 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 13 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/24: Recalled F Justin Bailey and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Zemgus Girgensons from IR; Assigned F Derek Grant to Rochester
2/26: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL)
2/28: Acquired D Mat Bodie from NY Rangers in exchange for F Daniel Catenacci
3/1: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, March 4: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 5: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, March 7: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 10: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 11: Columbus at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

COYOTES at SABRES
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Coyotes this season.
Last meeting: Arizona defeated Buffalo 3-2 in Arizona on Feb. 26
The Sabres are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Coyotes; 4-4-2 at home.
This is the 76th game all-time between Buffalo and Arizona/Winnipeg; Buffalo has a 44-22-9 series record.
The Sabres are 24-7-7 at home against the Coyotes/Jets all-time.

Morning Skate: March 2, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Well, other teams have witnessed first hand the train wrecks that are Kulikov and Franson. Nothing but mentions the last month of how many scouts there are in the building, etc. They are literally playing as poorly as any two of the worst D men in the league. What team seeking to make a playoff run looks at either one of those two and says, "Yep. That's the piece we need to make that run." I am not surprised in the least that a team wasn't even willing to give up that bag of pucks, let alone a draft pick. Good riddance, regardless, if they leave for nothing. If people need to lament the future 5th round pick never realized, so be it.

In the meantime, they should be yanked in favor of Falk and Fedun who have at least been consistent, if not spectacular.

On another note, this team seems to have checked out mentally. I think part of that may have to do with not liking the non-possession game Bylsma prefers. Understandable, given the talent up front that is perfectly suited for that. But when 4 out of 6 D men are literally incapable of playing that style, well, I'm not sure Bylsma has much recourse there. Makes me wonder what we could have seen with Babcock instead. He's preached possession hockey since his first game in Detroit and I'm not surprised he's letting his talented young core in Toronto do the same.

I pretty much agree with all this. I think Falk and Fedun should play as much as possible from here on out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kulikov be given some time off if he's still fighting a lingering injury. Showcase time is over for him (not like he did anyone any favors by his quality of play). I think they should figure out who's going to be here next year and play them on the ice together as much as possible. And Bylsma needs to quit juggling combinations.

I love old-style dump and chase, but I realize that style isn't where it's at in this NHL, especially with teams' ability to move pucks out of their own end with relative ease, and with the elimination of two line passes. I also think a possession style would take a good deal of pressure off of the defenseman. It is amazing to see how many decisions the coaching staff has made which make the defense's life more difficult (like grinding down low in the offensive side and trying to make plays from behind the net).

I think what irked me was the press conference. GMTM said he "had a lot of calls on Kulikov" but the deal didn't get done. Injuries obviously factored in, but it sounded like the bag of pucks deal was there. There's no better way to get Falk and Fedun ice-time then making the move now. Looking around the league though, it was a very quiet day.

I'm 100% on board with a puck-possession style, but that dream took a huge hit when Julien went to Montreal. Down the road I think we are going to see that Bylsma was GMTM's biggest mistake. We're losing to the worst teams in the league (one is a tank-caliber team) -- we can't sit around and pretend it's just because our 2nd and 3rd-pair D are lousy.

Why did Murray not get the players that Bylsma needed then?

It just takes time. The forwards are great, IMO. But getting solid NHL defenseman is not easy. They are much harder to find.

And Risto just looks burned out to me.

It just takes time. The forwards are great, IMO. But getting solid NHL defenseman is not easy. They are much harder to find.

And Risto just looks burned out to me.

O'Reilly looks even more burned out.

3-2: GMTM ON WGR (23:54)

GM Tim Murray has just arrived to @716FoodandSport and he'll speak with Bulldog next on WGR!

GMTM- "I don't want to dwell on it. You're trying to get assets for guys that are leaving, but we'll make the best of it."

GMTM- "It is what it is. This is our team. We're relatively healthy, and we're trying to get as many points as we can get."

GMTM on Kulikov- "I think he'll play the rest of the games. Need him to be better. He's had a tough year. I think the deadline got to him."

GMTM- "Under the right circumstances I'd love to bring Kulikov back, for sure."

GMTM- "I'm not sure what Sam and Jack's contracts are going to be. I think come July 1st those would be the first two I'd talk to."

GMTM- "I'm sure Evander would be right after those 2 guys. Can I trade for a top defenseman this summer? If I can what does he make?"

GMTM on Gionta- "I think it's realistic, if they understand where we are as a team, that we'd like a 1 year deal at a certain amount."

GMTM- "I have to improve the team. We have to get better on the blueline. That's on me. That's not on the coaches, not on the players."

GMTM- "The theme within the offseason will be to do the best we can to get a defenseman."