Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

That is what amazes me more than anything. After watching hockey for 40 years, there are so many times I am anticipating a pass from Jack, or a turnover...and that puck is like glue on his stick. Just amazing sometimes watching it.

He reminds me of Mario Lemieux. He is big, strong, can skate, shoot and pass. Both are strong and skilled players. Each of them is a striding and accelerating skater that is a beauty to behold.

I'm just hoping that the GM can add enough talent to the point where Jack will get the attention that he deserves by playing on a team that is worth following by hockey fans in general.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He reminds me of Mario Lemieux. He is big, strong, can skate, shoot and pass. Both are strong and skilled players. Each of them is a striding and accelerating skater that is a beauty to behold.

I'm just hoping that the GM can add enough talent to the point where Jack will get the attention that he deserves by playing on a team that is worth following by hockey fans in general.

He also adds in a little Jagr with with sticks that's about 85 feet long. Maybe Lemieux had the same thing, but for whatever reason, I always associated that with Jagr.

edit: And college seasons are now starting to end for some teams, so we should start to see the signings of random free agents and draft picks around the league. The expansion draft is always a huge topic right now, but any of these guys would be exempt, so there's no concerns in that department.

Edited by shrader

He also adds in a little Jagr with with sticks that's about 85 feet long. Maybe Lemieux had the same thing, but for whatever reason, I always associated that with Jagr.

edit: And college seasons are now starting to end for some teams, so we should start to see the signings of random free agents and draft picks around the league. The expansion draft is always a huge topic right now, but any of these guys would be exempt, so there's no concerns in that department.

Jagr is a good comparison. He is now at his age a physical phenomina. As Jagr got older he became serious about his conditioning and training regimen. As great as he was as a younger player if he had the same serious approach to conditioning as he now does back then his numbers would be even greater.

The comparison between Lemieux and Boston Jack strike me when they are skating from one zone to another. Both are more than fast straight line skaters. Each is great at weaving around and blowing past the defenders while holding on to the puck and then reacting.

Evan Rodrigues was an excellent college free agent signing for us.

Jagr is a good comparison. He is now at his age a physical phenomina. As Jagr got older he became serious about his conditioning and training regimen. As great as he was as a younger player if he had the same serious approach to conditioning as he now does back then his numbers would be even greater.

The comparison between Lemieux and Boston Jack strike me when they are skating from one zone to another. Both are more than fast straight line skaters. Each is great at weaving around and blowing past the defenders while holding on to the puck and then reacting.

Evan Rodrigues was an excellent college free agent signing for us.

I don't know exactly when that commitment to conditioning began, maybe during his stint outside of the NHL. Maybe leaving is exactly why he's still here today, but I can't help but wonder where his numbers would be had he never left. It's amazing to see how he has climbed up the rankings these last few years (I guess he can't climb anymore though). He's one year away from ruining one of the coolest Gretzky stats there is, the one where Wayne has more assists than any other player has points.

I don't know exactly when that commitment to conditioning began, maybe during his stint outside of the NHL. Maybe leaving is exactly why he's still here today, but I can't help but wonder where his numbers would be had he never left. It's amazing to see how he has climbed up the rankings these last few years (I guess he can't climb anymore though). He's one year away from ruining one of the coolest Gretzky stats there is, the one where Wayne has more assists than any other player has points.

I was watching a Florida game a while back and the TV announcers were talking about Jagr and when he changed his mentality toward the game. They said when he left the NHL and played in (I believe) the KHL he changed his mind-set and became dedicated to preparing for hockey and appreciating being able to play the game.

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. XQLzOucx_200x200.jpg

SABRES (28-29-12) at SHARKS (41-20-7)

TUE MAR 14, 2017 @ 10:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 334)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 69 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 33 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 19 games
Kyle Okposo (ribs, March 4) – 5 games
Dmitry Kulikov (upper body, March 5) – 4 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/8: Assigned F Cal O’Reilly to Toronto (AHL)
3/13: Recalled F Hudson Fasching from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, March 16: Buffalo at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.
Friday, March 17: Buffalo at Anaheim, 10 p.m.
Monday, March 20: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, March 21: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 25: Toronto at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at SHARKS
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Sharks this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated San Jose 5-4 (OT) in Buffalo on Feb. 7
The Sabres are 9-0-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Sharks; 6-2-2 on the road
This is the 37th game all-time between Buffalo and San Jose; Buffalo has a 24-6-6 series record.
The Sabres are 7-5-5 on the road against the Sharks all-time.

Morning Skate: March 14, 2017 at 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm at SAP Center

@BuffaloSabres

Look for Hudson Fasching to return to the Sabres lineup sometime this week: http://bufsabres.co/mp3bx5

C614Sr9V0AAiK7h.jpg

Lines at Practice

9 Evander Kane - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 12 Brian Gionta
26 Matt Moulson - 15 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
82 Marcus Foligno - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 56 Justin Bailey
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 63 Tyler Ennis
52 Hudson Fasching

29 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
41 Justin Falk - 47 Zach Bogosian
4 Josh Gorges - 6 Cody Franson

40 Robin Lehner
31 Anders Nilsson

Gorges-Franson third d pairing...

So slow, they should never cross their own blueline.

Too bad about Larssen's injury. I thought he was coming around this season.

You'd think Gionta isn't a fit on the top line, but Kane and he have played well together every time they've been put together.

Moulson shouldn't be on the second line with Jack and Sam.

At the beginning of the season, I wanted Foligno gone but he's improved into a fairly useful wing. Wouldn't mind seeing him stay on the Jack/Sam line.

Gorges-Franson third d pairing...

So slow, they should never cross their own blueline.

Too bad about Larssen's injury. I thought he was coming around this season.

You'd think Gionta isn't a fit on the top line, but Kane and he have played well together every time they've been put together.

Moulson shouldn't be on the second line with Jack and Sam.

At the beginning of the season, I wanted Foligno gone but he's improved into a fairly useful wing. Wouldn't mind seeing him stay on the Jack/Sam line.

Would much rather have Fasching on Eichel's line than Moulson. Slide Rodrigues onto Jack's other side, give Reinhart the 3rd line and slide Girgensons back to center the 4th line & take the occassional shift on Jack's wing as well.

Oh, well. Guess Moulson still has photos of someone above his paygrade on his I-phone.

Would much rather have Fasching on Eichel's line than Moulson. Slide Rodrigues onto Jack's other side, give Reinhart the 3rd line and slide Girgensons back to center the 4th line & take the occassional shift on Jack's wing as well.

Oh, well. Guess Moulson still has photos of someone above his paygrade on his I-phone.

It is like Moulson is a puzzle piece from a different box.

What do folks think about the Viktor Antipin rumors?

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-sign-defenseman

Assuming he signs with us I have no idea how good he is or what other teams are vying for him. What it indicates is that Murray is determined to rework the back end. I don't think he is going to trade away one of our prime assets to get a good defenseman. I think next year, in addition to Guhle, he is going to add a couple of solid players to the mix.

The above link is from WGR that indicates that he might be signed. Not much elaboration as to the type of player he is. Because of his smallish size I suspect he is more of a skater than a hitter.

Edited by JohnC

Foligno has been so much fun to watch this season, he has delivered some crushing hits and is amongst the leaders in that category. Plus he brings it every night. He's never going to get the credit because he does the things that go unnoticed, but he is having his best pro season by far. But ideally he will be a third or forth liner, no way he should be on a top line.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-sign-defenseman

Assuming he signs with us I have no idea how good he is or what other teams are vying for him. What it indicates is that Murray is determined to rework the back end. I don't think he is going to trade away one of our prime assets to get a good defenseman. I think next year, in addition to Guhle, he is going to add a couple of solid players to the mix.

The above link is from WGR that indicates that he might be signed. Not much elaboration as to the type of player he is. Because of his smallish size I suspect he is more of a skater than a hitter.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/3/14/14923294/buffalo-sabres-expected-to-sign-defenseman-viktor-antipin-khl

24-year-old Viktor Antipin, is expected to join Buffalo. The Sabres won a bit of a recruiting battle, with Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pittsburgh all poking around.

Antipin is a 24-year old lefty who is a little on the small side, listed at 5’11’, 179 lbs. However, he has four years of experience playing regularly for Magnitogorsk, including four years in the playoffs, and has also played for Russia in the World Juniors and World Championships. According to those who know the KHL, he is “NHL-ready”.

With signs that the Sabres are also interested in signing collegiate free agent defenseman Gavin Bayreuther of St. Lawrence, GMTM is clearly looking anywhere and everywhere to fix his team’s most glaring issue. Signing Antipin would be a good start.

Edited by ricojes

Foligno has been so much fun to watch this season, he has delivered some crushing hits and is amongst the leaders in that category. Plus he brings it every night. He's never going to get the credit because he does the things that go unnoticed, but he is having his best pro season by far. But ideally he will be a third or forth liner, no way he should be on a top line.

Foligno, Carrier, Bailey and Fashing are all good big straight line skaters and hitters who should not be top two line forwards. I see an excess of these type of players from which can be traded for another young and upside defenseman. Right now we have too many old and slow wheeled defensemen who can't keep up. Some young legs would be very much appreciated to bolster this over-matched unit.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2017/3/14/14923294/buffalo-sabres-expected-to-sign-defenseman-viktor-antipin-khl

24-year-old Viktor Antipin, is expected to join Buffalo. The Sabres won a bit of a recruiting battle, with Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pittsburgh all poking around.

Antipin is a 24-year old lefty who is a little on the small side, listed at 5’11’, 179 lbs. However, he has four years of experience playing regularly for Magnitogorsk, including four years in the playoffs, and has also played for Russia in the World Juniors and World Championships. According to those who know the KHL, he is “NHL-ready”.

With signs that the Sabres are also interested in signing collegiate free agent defenseman Gavin Bayreuther of St. Lawrence, GMTM is clearly looking anywhere and everywhere to fix his team’s most glaring issue. Signing Antipin would be a good start.

Foligno, Carrier, Bailey and Fashing are all good big straight line skaters and hitters who should not be top two line forwards. I see an excess of these type of players from which can be traded for another young and upside defenseman. Right now we have too many old and slow wheeled defensemen who can't keep up. Some young legs would be very much appreciated to bolster this over-matched unit.

I would never have said this before the season started, but Foligno is one of the few players presently on the roster who you'd want on a line with Jack and Sam. You need someone who can muck around in the corners to maintain offensive zone possession. Sam does well in the slot and Jack seems to like the perimeter. Foligno is also good protection for the stars.

I also see that his attributes translate to the third or fourth line (the most consistent line early in the year was the third line of Foligno, Gionta and Larssen) but until they get an upgrade for Foligno, I think he's most helpful in that spot. You could put Kane there, but his goal scoring is better served on a different line, to spread out whatever goal scoring threats the team has. Kane should do just fine with O'Reilly and Okposo.

I would never have said this before the season started, but Foligno is one of the few players presently on the roster who you'd want on a line with Jack and Sam. You need someone who can muck around in the corners to maintain offensive zone possession. Sam does well in the slot and Jack seems to like the perimeter. Foligno is also good protection for the stars.

I also see that his attributes translate to the third or fourth line (the most consistent line early in the year was the third line of Foligno, Gionta and Larssen) but until they get an upgrade for Foligno, I think he's most helpful in that spot. You could put Kane there, but his goal scoring is better served on a different line, to spread out whatever goal scoring threats the team has. Kane should do just fine with O'Reilly and Okposo.

Where I have a slightly different view with you is that I want players on Jack's line who can convert his brilliant passes. Kane playing with Jack makes more sense to me. In addition, when there are rushes Evander is one of the few players who can keep up with him in an end to end rush.

I understand your preference for Foligno to be a protector. I'm fine with that role for him now but I still think that a more proficient scorer will serve Jack better. I like Okposo with O'Reilly. They seemed to be in sync and play at a similar pace.

John C, Snafu, Ricojes: Thanks for the good hockey talk and insight. I live in Atlanta where they put hockey below the WNBA.

I am really looking forward to some young blood on the blue line. As far as top six, I was hoping Nylander would be ready for next year, but I heard he has been a disappointment so far.

Well I did hedge and say Foligno is good there for now, until they upgrade him.

[ name=JohnC" post="4288363" timestamp="1489520046]Where I have a slightly different view with you is that I want players on Jack's line who can convert his brilliant passes. Kane playing with Jack makes more sense to me. In addition, when there are rushes Evander is one of the few players who can keep up with him in an end to end rush.

I understand your preference for Foligno to be a protector. I'm fine with that role for him now but I still think that a more proficient scorer will serve Jack better. I like Okposo with O'Reilly. They seemed to be in sync and play at a similar pace.

I think Nylander is small and young and will need another year in the AHL. As for hockey talk, I'm on Long Island and in Brooklyn. I have a lot of NYR debates with the locals, but I like coming here. Sabrespace is where the real hockey brainiacs are (speaking for myself only).

John C, Snafu, Ricojes: Thanks for the good hockey talk and insight. I live in Atlanta where they put hockey below the WNBA.

I am really looking forward to some young blood on the blue line. As far as top six, I was hoping Nylander would be ready for next year, but I heard he has been a disappointment so far.

Don't be impatient. Nylander was the youngest hockey player in the AHL. It's just going to take time for him to physically mature. He comes from a hockey family so he knows what it takes to play in the big league. When he is ready, maybe in 2019, he is going to be a top two line player. This is the case where you have to trust the process and allow him the right amount of developmental time.