fortune 500 companies in b-lo

boyst

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very close family member is an AVP for Wegmans. I could see with their push to NC and beyond over their 10 year plan, it could help having national name recognition with naming rights. They are pushing south and will kill their competition as they build a new distribution center south which is their limitation.

You guys are so fortunate to have that company so strong in upstate NY. No other chain can come close.

Buffalo logos from Aaron Draplin (with a couple surprising company logos in there)

101112_buffalo.jpg

That's a cool poster - what year is it from? I ask because I see the Brave's logo on there. The company my dad worked for, National Gypsum, was Fortune 500 back in the 70's then they moved the HQ from Buffalo to Dallas. He stayed with Gold Bond and they then moved the entire company to Charlotte in 1978....

To sell advertising and luxury boxes at a new stadium

Bingo! Without corporate sponsorship buying boxes it's a tough slog.....

It's headquarters of Fortune 500s. They matter because they tend to be heavy in high paid jobs. They also matter because they tend to draw in companies that support or rely on them, growing the economy around a key industry. Silicon Valley is an excellent examples as growth in computing tech spawned more companies in similar fields, which in turn grew others,etc, among the biggest problems with the Buffalo resurgence myth is that the growth in jobs has not been broad across disciplines and among the right industries. Too much tax handouts for retails gigs like hotels, craft brewers, and restaurants paying poverty wages and creating just more wealth for local developer robber barrens like Paladino, Ciminelli, Sinatra, Montante, and Termini.

OK, I got curious. As of 7/15 NYC had the most Fortune 1,000 companies with 72. No shocker. Houston (surprisingly to me) came in second with 49. Atlanta and Chicago were tied with 22, and Dallas had 15. If the source is correct, the rest must be pretty well spread around. I knew there was a lot of money in Houston, but that was not expected.

OK, I got curious. As of 7/15 NYC had the most Fortune 1,000 companies with 72. No shocker. Houston (surprisingly to me) came in second with 49. Atlanta and Chicago were tied with 22, and Dallas had 15. If the source is correct, the rest must be pretty well spread around. I knew there was a lot of money in Houston, but that was not expected.

Even with oil price declines, still a lot of big energy companies located there.

This is all stemming from Goodell fresh off his death scare talking about us needing a new stadium. Would he have the balls to do this in Green Bay where there is no corporate base either? The Europeans have it right where the gov't does not pay for professional clubs soccer stadia, instead the club pays for it, themselves through ticket revenue. My favorite English team, Tottenham is renting Wembley for the next 2 years while building a new stadium at the current grounds. They will use the new 60,000 seat arena for the NFL London series. There won't be extravagant luxury boxes, hell even the owner sits in the club personnel area of the crowd. could you imagine Jerry Jones sitting two rows in front of his inbred fans?

I work at Ingram - we got bought by some Chinese corporation so it will no longer be on the fortune 500.

I think there are more employees in Buffalo than in Irvine, but all of the senior leadership is in California.

Senior Leadership is all that is important - ask them and they will tell you.

None have HQs there. Ingram is close as that's their east coast HQ, but not the true HQ

That's a big part of the stadium luxury box problem.

ironocally, Ingram in Williamsville is much larger than their HQ in Santa Anna Ca.

This is all stemming from Goodell fresh off his death scare talking about us needing a new stadium. Would he have the balls to do this in Green Bay where there is no corporate base either? The Europeans have it right where the gov't does not pay for professional clubs soccer stadia, instead the club pays for it, themselves through ticket revenue. My favorite English team, Tottenham is renting Wembley for the next 2 years while building a new stadium at the current grounds. They will use the new 60,000 seat arena for the NFL London series. There won't be extravagant luxury boxes, hell even the owner sits in the club personnel area of the crowd. could you imagine Jerry Jones sitting two rows in front of his inbred fans?

i was just thinking about Wembley the other day - seeing Springsteen was playing there, and how it looks like it did when he played there 30 years ago, and during Live Aid, etc...........And, I thought WTF soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and they can be like college football and keep playing in their stadiums, but the friggin NFL has to demand new stadiums.

It's headquarters of Fortune 500s. They matter because they tend to be heavy in high paid jobs. They also matter because they tend to draw in companies that support or rely on them, growing the economy around a key industry. Silicon Valley is an excellent examples as growth in computing tech spawned more companies in similar fields, which in turn grew others,etc, among the biggest problems with the Buffalo resurgence myth is that the growth in jobs has not been broad across disciplines and among the right industries. Too much tax handouts for retails gigs like hotels, craft brewers, and restaurants paying poverty wages and creating just more wealth for local developer robber barrens like Paladino, Ciminelli, Sinatra, Montante, and Termini.

SolarCity was supposed to be like the former, but now it's looking very shaky.

Pegula

Mafia ? :ph34r:

Even with oil price declines, still a lot of big energy companies located there.

Very true. Still I would not have thought them to be ahead of Chicago and Atlanta combined. No one else is close for second place. They are closer to #1 NYC than #3 is to them.

A very close family member is an AVP for Wegmans. I could see with their push to NC and beyond over their 10 year plan, it could help having national name recognition with naming rights. They are pushing south and will kill their competition as they build a new distribution center south which is their limitation.

You guys are so fortunate to have that company so strong in upstate NY. No other chain can come close.

I recently made my own salad at one of their fancy stores in PA. After it was weighed I ended up paying something ridiculous like $14.00. Boy did I feel stupid. No wonder Wegmans is growing! Edited by BillnutinHouston