The most devastating loss in all 32 NFL teams' history

As much as that SB loss hurt, we went back three more times, and played hard in that game. We were out coached as everyone knows by Belicheck (bastage).

The music city forward pass was such a rob job, and we went into irrelevancy for 16 years.

+1 I would have put the SB loss #1 and I do think it affected the players psyche in the next 3 but you make a really great point about the music city game.

Losing the 4 super bowls (and not just XXV) was the largest blow to the image of the franchise but that music city game was much more devastating to the franchise itself.

The drop by Harmon in Cleveland is up there in my bookBut the mother !@#$in music city mishap knocked the franchise to irrelevance

So many great memories.

My personal favorite is the loss to San Diego in the 1981 playoffs when Fouts hit some stupid receiver with a 50 yard pass for the winning TD late in the 4th quarter... On the exact same route that had been picked off on the previous drive.

Fun times.

Edited by vincec

Som many great memories.

My personal favorite is the loss to San Diego in the 1981 playoffs when Fouts hit some stupid receiver with a 50 yard pass for the winning TD late in the 4th quarter... On the exact same route that had been picked off on the previous drive.

Fun times.

My grandfather introduced me to football and that is a game that sticks out to me from that era for sure.

+1 I would have put the SB loss #1 and I do think it affected the players psyche in the next 3 but you make a really great point about the music city game.

Losing the 4 super bowls (and not just XXV) was the largest blow to the image of the franchise but that music city game was much more devastating to the franchise itself.

I know a lot of Bills fans feel the same as you do, and understandably so. My only issue with the Music City Miracle is the fact that it was only a wild card game while wide right was the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any bigger than wide right. The Music City loss itself is not what sent this franchise down the tubes. It was a brutal loss, but everything that followed had already been in motion. We had Flutie and Johnson under center, neither of whom were going to be long term solutions. Wade Phillips was essentially being chased out of town by Ralph. Even if we had gone on to the Super Bowl it seems that the two had an unhealthy working relationship that was bound to fail. Jimmy Johnson was chased out of Dallas after two Lombardi trophies, so it isn't unheard of. It was a time in the history of the franchise when Ralph was trying to call too many of the shots. Whether or not we win that game we were becoming a poorly mangaged team with bad ownership.

I know a lot of Bills fans feel the same as you do, and understandably so. My only issue with the Music City Miracle is the fact that it was only a wild card game while wide right was the Super Bowl. It doesn't get any bigger than wide right. The Music City loss itself is not what sent this franchise down the tubes. It was a brutal loss, but everything that followed had already been in motion. We had Flutie and Johnson under center, neither of whom were going to be long term solutions. Wade Phillips was essentially being chased out of town by Ralph. Even if we had gone on to the Super Bowl it seems that the two had an unhealthy working relationship that was bound to fail. Jimmy Johnson was chased out of Dallas after two Lombardi trophies, so it isn't unheard of. It was a time in the history of the franchise when Ralph was trying to call too many of the shots. Whether or not we win that game we were becoming a poorly mangaged team with bad ownership.

Wade got screwed by Ralph and Jerry, its my hope that IF this current regime doesn't get it right that Terry will bring back Wade and give him a chance at redemption.

Also, Rob Johnson all the way!

Wade got screwed by Ralph and Jerry, its my hope that IF this current regime doesn't get it right that Terry will bring back Wade and give him a chance at redemption.

Also, Rob Johnson all the way!

This is revisionist history. Wade fell on his sword to protect an utterly inept assistant. Ralph wanted to retain him.

This is revisionist history. Wade fell on his sword to protect an utterly inept assistant. Ralph wanted to retain him.

I know thats the prevailing story, I just feel like there was more to it than that. All the events of that season and off season combined were pretty !@#$ed IMO