Seantral AWOL since end of season (not really)

First and foremost, I wish Seantrel a speedy recovery from his surgeries and I hope they have his condition under control so he is no longer suffering.

Secondly, I think everyone will need to be very patient with him this off season. I would have to imagine he has lost weight and muscle and is no where near playing condition. Its going to take time and hard work (and patience) for him to get into shape and be ready to play at a high level. It is concerning to me that it seems the organization was completely out of touch with him and his agent about such a serious medical situation. What's even more concerning is that none of his teammates reached out to check on him during the offseason. You'd think he would have at least 1-2 close friends on the team. That seems odd to me.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex strongly implied he knew nothing in an interview. Rex directly said he hadn't spoken with Henderson. Henderson's agent directly stated that he had not spoken to anyone on the coaching staff. Does it realistically seem more plausible to you that:

A. Rex knows everything necessary and has a plan for Henderson.

B. Rex is clueless and disorganized when it comes to knowing what to do with Henderson

C. Something else....please describe.

I realize none of us "know" the situation. I'm just asking which is most likely.

The highlight is the point. We don't know the real story. When it comes to health issues of an individual there are also privacy issues that preclude the organization, medical staff, the player impacted and his representatives from being fully candid about the health status.

I really don't believe that the few people in organization who should be tracking the health status of the player weren't knowledgeable about the situation. But ethically it would be inappropriate to discuss the issue in public.

Considering how complicated and serious Henderson's health problem is odds are that it was the organization and the health staff that instrumental in directing him to one of the best health facilities in the world.

Because of the privacy issues what is swirling in the public domain is nothing but irresponsible speculation coming from people who are not in the know. Pointing fingers at anyone is simply unfair because we just don't know what the real story is. And because it is a health issue we don't necessarily have the right to know.

So you write a complete BS story? Create the AWOL player story? Are you serious?

So he supposedly reached out and the agent did not return his call right away so now he is AWOL?

Turn anything you can into the most negative story possible-

It's not a bs story. Keep in mind there is a big difference between AWOL and MIA. AWOL means absent from the armed forces without permission (Webster), MIA means a soldier who was not found after a battle and who may or may not be dead(again Webster's dictionary). Tyler clearly refers to MIA, the OP(reed83hof) started the use of AWOL. Big difference guys. Henderson didn't need permission to be in Minnesota for the recovery. If he was required to report, then maybe the term AWOL would be appropriate. He was "missing in action" though. Quote from the article: "clearly if any of his coaches called he would've returned the phone call. But to this day, nobody has called him."

Where some of you guys come up with AWOL from Tyler's article is beyond me.

Tyler says MIA in the title and reed 83 says AWOL. BIG difference and starts the post using the wrong term. Tyler is correct here, Henderson was not AWOL and Tyler never claimed he was.

The highlight is the point. We don't know the real story. When it comes to health issues of an individual there are also privacy issues that preclude the organization, medical staff, the player impacted and his representatives from being fully candid about the health status.

I really don't believe that the few people in organization who should be tracking the health status of the player weren't knowledgeable about the situation. But ethically it would be inappropriate to discuss the issue in public.

Considering how complicated and serious Henderson's health problem is odds are that it was the organization and the health staff that instrumental in directing him to one of the best health facilities in the world.

Because of the privacy issues what is swirling in the public domain is nothing but irresponsible speculation coming from people who are not in the know. Pointing fingers at anyone is simply unfair because we just don't know what the real story is. And because it is a health issue we don't necessarily have the right to know.

Do you realize that "we've been in contact" vs. "I haven't spoke to him and I know nothing," are virtually unchanged in regards to health privacy?

Do you realize that "we've been in contact" vs. "I haven't spoke to him and I know nothing," are virtually unchanged in regards to health privacy?

I'm not sure what your point is. Stories are coming out about statements and sources but you don't know if they are true. That's my point.

Edited by JohnC

First and foremost, I wish Seantrel a speedy recovery from his surgeries and I hope they have his condition under control so he is no longer suffering.

Secondly, I think everyone will need to be very patient with him this off season. I would have to imagine he has lost weight and muscle and is no where near playing condition. Its going to take time and hard work (and patience) for him to get into shape and be ready to play at a high level. It is concerning to me that it seems the organization was completely out of touch with him and his agent about such a serious medical situation. What's even more concerning is that none of his teammates reached out to check on him during the offseason. You'd think he would have at least 1-2 close friends on the team. That seems odd to me.

This seems so odd that I suspect it's not true. It might be the agent misrepresented the situation.

But you're right... he'll probably need time to get back into playing shape. This must be a traumatic ordeal for the young man.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Quoted from Dunne's story: "While it's true that Ryan never heard from Henderson, Henderson also never heard from Ryan through his surgeries. Herman called this "unusual." Some Bills players have been in touch with the tackle, he said, but not the coaching staff."

Doesn't look good on Rex. At least others stepped up.

First he's TOO much of a "player's coach", now he's admonished for not doing a good job at reaching out to players.

Something doesn't fully add up and I'd bet we'll never know the full story, but at least CSI TBD: Special Bills Unit is on it! I'm guessing we'll have this one solved in another 14 or 15 pages... :beer:

Quoted from Dunne's story: "While it's true that Ryan never heard from Henderson, Henderson also never heard from Ryan through his surgeries. Herman called this "unusual." Some Bills players have been in touch with the tackle, he said, but not the coaching staff."

Not sure if this played a part or not but coaches aren't allowed to contact the players until the first OTA's regarding football.

The new collective bargaining agreement agreed to in 2011 dictates that until the offseason program begins, players and coaches are not allowed to talk football, hold meetings, look at a playbook, watch film or do any other football-related activity. Players can’t work out with the team strength coach even if he’s standing at the bench press next to him.

Some coaches don't make contact at all for fear of breaking the rules, here's what Hue Jackson says:

“I say hello, how you doing,” Jackson said. “Sometimes I don’t say anything because I don’t want one thing to lead to another.”

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Thanks. I missed that part.

I'm not sure what your point is. Stories are coming out about statements and sources but you don't know if they are true. That's my point.

We have direct quotes from Ryan that he nor any of the coaches reached out to Seantrel at all. This isn't a question of medical privacy.

Not sure if this played a part or not but coaches aren't allowed to contact the players until the first OTA's regarding football.

Some coaches don't make contact at all for fear of breaking the rules, here's what Hue Jackson says:

its pretty easy to shoot him over a "hey good luck with the surgery hope everything is going smooth - definitely let us know if theres anything the team med staff can help out with" type of text. i dont intricately know the rules of engagement on this but it seems like that, especially if in written form to be able to document it, would be on the ok side.

its pretty easy to shoot him over a "hey good luck with the surgery hope everything is going smooth - definitely let us know if theres anything the team med staff can help out with" type of text. i dont intricately know the rules of engagement on this but it seems like that, especially if in written form to be able to document it, would be on the ok side.

I don't know the exact know the ins and outs of what they can and can't do.

To me this would be more of an issue if Henderson said that hes been trying to contact Rex and Rex has not responded. Seems like to me when someone expects you somewhere at a certain time and you cant make it its your job to reach out. Sad reality is Rex has a job for the upcoming year at least. Henderson and his agent need to do the leg work to stay in the good graces of the HC not the other way around.