MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

REX: There are people that, I know for a fact, don’t believe in me; they don’t believe in the direction of the football team.

REX: I should be doubted, because I made a mistake in judgment.

The Bills should extend their restrictions on press reporting to include interviews with Rex Ryan.

It borders on a stream of consciousness incoherence.

The Ryans have significant delusions.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol they contradicted themselves several times in that interview.

See...this is why the media cant get Belechek to say anything......the guy just mumbles and says as little as possible.

If he started talking he would probably make mistakes in his comments that would cause posts like these that hang on every word.

I could care LESS what the Ryans say in interviews.......I want to see on the field results....that is all I care about

Lol they contradicted themselves several times in that interview.

With a purely superficial understanding of the text, yes, yes they did. Often. Any attempt to understand these comments in context makes it all pretty clear, however.

See...this is why the media cant get Belechek to say anything......the guy just mumbles and says as little as possible.

If he started talking he would probably make mistakes in his comments that would cause posts like these that hang on every word.

I could care LESS what the Ryans say in interviews.......I want to see on the field results....that is all I care about

I doubt Bellichick clams up because he is worried he won't be able to control silly things pouring out of his mouth during interviews.

Ryan is just a goofball, that's all. His entire HC career is a steady stream of laughable claims/boasts/predictions.

We, and the press, hardly have to "hang on every word" to realize this is the same old show and we are about to be treated to the usual Rex stuff.

With a purely superficial understanding of the text, yes, yes they did. Often. Any attempt to understand these comments in context makes it all pretty clear, however.

Loud and clear, in fact...

I doubt Bellichick clams up because he is worried he won't be able to control silly things pouring out of his mouth during interviews.

Ryan is just a goofball, that's all. His entire HC career is a steady stream of laughable claims/boasts/predictions.

We, and the press, hardly have to "hang on every word" to realize this is the same old show and we are about to be treated to the usual Rex stuff.

Its almost as if human beings have a complex range of emotions and can admit fault and regret while projecting confidence and continuing to believe in themselves. Weird, I know. Illogical, even. But somehow I get it.

These guys would make great politicians.

At this point that is basically what they are. The premise on which they built their careers is no longer valid, and they are trying to milk it for all it is worth.

The funniest part is Rob shows the stark reality by saying he always had choices on where he was going to coach next: 5 choices....then 3....then just one in NO.....now just one where he needed family help. It isn't that they are good guys or they don't know their brand of football. It is just that their brand is antiquated and the level of demand for their services is obvious evidence. 31 other teams see their system as having run its course. Those are the people that "don't believe in them". There is still an ample supply of Ryan defense. It's just that the demand has dried up. It happens to every product and it is always hard for the provider to realize it.

Yet you feel the need to comment on each and every one....

Yeah...your not keeping an eye on it at all

Its almost as if human beings have a complex range of emotions and can admit fault and regret while projecting confidence and continuing to believe in themselves. Weird, I know. Illogical, even. But somehow I get it.

Not true in this case. The opposite in fact.

Ater 7 or 8 years of doing this constantly, what is the significance? In what context should Rex's annual off-season/preseason/postseason reading from his script be taken? How many seasons can you go to the fans and and ask why people don't believe in you or what you say in the off season? How many years in a row throughout a career can you admit the same mistakes and then say "this is going to be the year"?

Yet you feel the need to comment on each and every one....

Yeah...your not keeping an eye on it at all

Not every one, but it all has a familiar ring. Doesn't it?

At this point that is basically what they are. The premise on which they built their careers is no longer valid, and they are trying to milk it for all it is worth.

Translation....I really dont care about the reality that they have been successful in the past...which is why people that make these decisions continue to give them jobs.

The funniest part is Rob shows the stark reality by saying he always had choices on where he was going to coach next: 5 choices....then 3....then just one in NO.....now just one where he needed family help. It isn't that they are good guys or they don't know their brand of football. It is just that their brand is antiquated and the level of demand for their services is obvious evidence. 31 other teams see their system as having run its course. Those are the people that "don't believe in them". There is still an ample supply of Ryan defense. It's just that the demand has dried up. It happens to every product and it is always hard for the provider to realize it.

I really laugh every time you talk like you actually know what is going on behind the scenes......but you really dont. Your just making a guess based on your own agenda.

Not true in this case. The opposite in fact.

Ater 7 or 8 years of doing this constantly, what is the significance? In what context should Rex's annual off-season/preseason/postseason reading from his script be taken? How many seasons can you go to the fans and and ask why people don't believe in you or what you say in the off season? How many years in a row throughout a career can you admit the same mistakes and then say "this is going to be the year"?

Not every one, but it all has a familiar ring. Doesn't it?

Yes it does....I am not saying that it doesnt

Neither one of them have had recent success...that really cannot be argued. Now the reasons WHY that have not had recent success? That can definately be argued.

One thing these guys have not tried in a while is working together to fix a problem. I am willing to give them a year to see if that works.

"I can’t stand being around negative people. I can’t stand it. -snip- I believe in it, and I am surrounding myself with people that believe in it also."

This is an unhealthy attitude imho, basically he is saying I only want yaysayers on my staff. That doesn't result in a winning environment; you need an environment where constructive critism prevails.

It would be unhealthy to ban or ignore opposing viewpoints, but that isnt what he is talking about with negativity.

Most of the incredibly successful entrepreneurs and business leaders have a few things in common. One of the largest common traits is being unabashedly positive and surrounding themselves with the same type of people. That isnt to say they surround themselves with all yes-men, rather, people that don't let a minor setback throw off the entire operation, people that keep moving forward towards their goal no matter what. When the going gets tough, they say "We got this".

If you research "Traits of Great Leaders", almost every article/paper/etc has "Positivity" listed in some form. Some quick examples...

http://www.briantracy.com/blog/leadership-success/leadership-qualities-what-makes-a-great-leader-positive-attitude/

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/10-impressive-characteristics-great-leaders-have.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyaprive/2012/12/19/top-10-qualities-that-make-a-great-leader/#5cb504673564

If you are old enough you remember Big Daddy Lipscomb, a truly terrifying defense man (the nickname gives a hint). Here's what he said about how to play defense:"You keep picking up guys and tossing them aside until you find the one with the ball. Him you keep." And that, Rexy and Robbie, is defense in its essence.

Interesting that Rob says that the Saints wanted him to run the Seattle defense. He will definitely get to run his/rex D here so if when they fail there will be no excuses.

Corrected

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I read this and I get extremely stoked. I don't care. If I'm disappointed later then so be it.

Plus, I really like these guys as humans. It's not that I'm a fan of bluster in general. But their bluster is so authentic - it's just who they are. It doesn't seem insecure and fearful to me, as bluster often does. Those guys just have the life force gushing through them and it spills out of their mouths in hilarious, often a-grammatical, ways. I love them, and I'm glad they are coaching this team.

Whether they turn out to be good coaches with these players in this time and this place remains to be seen. But I'm going to enjoy the ride. And I wish them well in their lives, whatever happens with the team.

Between the Ryans and Tyrod Taylor, I'm finding this a very easy team to root for right now, which has not always been the case (though I always root for the team anyway because I have the incurable Buffalo Bills sickness. Chronic.).

I dont know?

Maybe the truth is somewhere in between?

NOBODY HERE knows the truth either

I bet the Saints fans have a better understanding? Multiple posters referencing problems with formations, knowing assignments and having the correct number of players on the field.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/sean-payton-coming-up-pft-355577/#.V0iR5Oz3anM

Edited by Commonsense