Do the Bills Need New Medical Staff/Trainers?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but if Lawson can go from "able to play through a season" to "needs immediate surgery" with one swim move in a non-contact drill, is that confidence deserved?

i dont know if that is a fair way to put it. the kids played through the injury for years. i doubt one swim move suddenly made him absolutely need immediate surgery but instead they decided to risk a couple of weeks at the start of the season instead of possibly a large chunk of the season if it flared up once they saw it was a little more temperamental than they thought.i dont get the impression that its immediate need as much as proactively managing risk/reward and a slight shift made a difference in strategy.

@thebillsblues

#Bills Overhaul Medical Staff After Lawson Gaffe (satire) #Satire #BuffaloBills...

So, the Bills invest significant $$$'s on Lawson as a #1 pick knowing that he has a potential shoulder injury that Adam Shetcher was already reporting on. Now, we hear that he will be out 6 months, so essentially, he will be lost for the season as he will lose all of training camp and it is very hard to pick everything up once the season starts for a rookie. Even if he comes back this year, how effective will he be? This is unacceptable. If I were Pegula, I would DEMAND an explanation with a full report on who was responsible for the decision to draft him as he will be essentially paying him big $$$'s for a lost season which the Bills can ill afford right now since they needed him to replace Mario Williams. Really disappointing news. Seems like Bills management was asleep at the switch on this one, and compounded with the news on Sammy Watkins, is very depressing. Hopefully these guys will come back at 100%.

So, the Bills invest significant $$$'s on Lawson as a #1 pick knowing that he has a potential shoulder injury that Adam Shetcher was already reporting on. Now, we hear that he will be out 6 months, so essentially, he will be lost for the season as he will lose all of training camp and it is very hard to pick everything up once the season starts for a rookie. Even if he comes back this year, how effective will he be? This is unacceptable. If I were Pegula, I would DEMAND an explanation with a full report on who was responsible for the decision to draft him as he will be essentially paying him big $$$'s for a lost season which the Bills can ill afford right now since they needed him to replace Mario Williams. Really disappointing news. Seems like Bills management was asleep at the switch on this one, and compounded with the news on Sammy Watkins, is very depressing. Hopefully these guys will come back at 100%.

scare.gifscare.gifscare.gif

The BILLS have never recovered from losing Rusty Jones. His strength/conditioning were first rate, and we never had all these injuries when he was here.

Agree on this and since he retired from Chicago I've been advocating Bills attempt to bring him in as a consultant; he could do most of the work from home with current technology.

Agreed!!!

Donahoe and Mularkey fired him so Mularkey could hire a friend of his.

The Bears were experiencing injuries over several previous seasons, so they hired him; their injuries went down and the Bears went to the Super Bowl (lost to Colts).

I understand Rusty is retired - they should hire him as a consultant.

Technically they promoted him to a management position, a position he did not want, and Rueben Brown pushed the Bears into bringing him in and they never regretted it.

You are assuming (or making up) that the Pegulas were not involved and informed about it. Might as well use some silly hash tags as well as such as #roguebillsgm.

It was reported, prior to the departure of the now-Jacksonville Jaguars OL coach, that he and Whaley wanted to see changes in the Bills training staff, feeling that they were too "old school" and using outdated techniques.

The last couple years, it has seemed as though the Bills have been plagued by unusual numbers of injuries and worse, re-injuries as they bring players back.

The medical staff "cleared" 2014 2nd round draft pick Kouandjio despite reports he had an arthritic knee. The team has been coy about it, but there has been talk of a condition that must be "managed", and while he came into last seasons camp strong, he faded. One possibility would be a condition that healed up over the off season but flared again with use/overuse.

The medical staff "cleared" this year's 1st round draft pick Shaq Lawson, who had reports of a shoulder injury that would require surgery. Now he's had surgery.

In public, Whaley reports he "has full confidence" in our medical staff, but if Lawson can go from "able to play through a season" to "needs immediate surgery" with one swim move in a non-contact drill, is that confidence deserved?

Nobody who ever publicly reports they have "full confidence" in someone actually has full confidence in that person. I'm sure the Shah had full confidence in his spleen, too.

If this is about Lawson I'm quite sure when Lawson was drafted they knew he'd need the surgery this season. The team just didn't want to immediately sell their first round pick as a guy who might have to sit out a while. So no, I don't think we need a new medical staff.

Then why wait to get the surgery done? That's what I don't understand. With an injury that might take 5-6 months to recover from every week matters and the Bills just wasted 2 and a half weeks.

This makes me think that the Bills intentions were to get through this year and have the surgery after the season, as has been reported. The fact that he got hurt doing a swim move vs. a tackling dummy calls into question, how the Bills were so misled to think he could make it through an entire season.

Then why wait to get the surgery done? That's what I don't understand. With an injury that might take 5-6 months to recover from every week matters and the Bills just wasted 2 and a half weeks.

This makes me think that the Bills intentions were to get through this year and have the surgery after the season, as has been reported. The fact that he got hurt doing a swim move vs. a tackling dummy calls into question, how the Bills were so misled to think he could make it through an entire season.

Because he had gone without surgery since Freshman year of college and had not had issue with it. It is pretty simple to understand. Whatever drill the Bills did with him aggravated the injury so Bills decided to have it done now. I know that there are some Bills "fans" who think the Bills could be beaten by a college team but do you not think it is possible that a college player took some down time after all the intense workouts for draft, got a little soft and sloppy and aggravated the injury partly because he was trying to show how good he was to new teammates and staff? The Bills have paid large bonuses to players at end of season and they came into OTAs or training camp in such bad shape they were cut!

I think this thread is based on the false assumption that the medical staff "clears" potential draft picks. In reality, it's not that black and white. Doctors cannot "clear" a player's future. There's no crystal ball. What they can do is offer risk of future injury. But, after weighing the risks and benefits, it's still up to Whaley to make the decision. We really have no idea what the docs told DW and what he did with that info.

It's pretty hard to come up with a correlation. So in 2014 when we might have been the healthiest team in the NFL they did great but in 2015 when we had a bunch of pulls/strains injury types they sucked?

I think a lot of it is simply luck to be quite honest and eventually all teams will trend toward the mean if you look st a large enough sample.