Robert Woods contract vs. Marvin Jones/Mohamed Sanu

For all of the crap Robert Woods takes here I really hope he does well this upcoming year AND we lock him up.

Draft good players.....cultivate good players.....sign your own good players.

The thing that is missing out of this group is the speedster that runs coverage deep to open things up. We wanted Goodwin to be that guy......I hope Listenbee can be that guy.

Woods brings things to this team that are not counted on a stat sheet.....while still providing comparable numbers to a guy like Sanu

i dont think most are really disrespecting woods. its the reality that most nfl rosters dont have a big middle class right now. woods is in that tier of guys that are nice but you dont keep them at the expense of other pieces. especially as we get Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, and maybe tyrod under contract - you only get so many of those $5-7m kind of contracts and i dont know that a decent #2 WR is where burn one of those spots in the long term - especially with an elite #1 and a good TE. an aging vet or even decent day 2 pick can normally slide in without handcuffing your offense with the "in his prime" guy that is good but not great. In years past i may have argued differently but the way the roster is shaking out, im fine going either way.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the return won't equal the pay for Sanu and the price will come down for next years crop. Woods is a good all around #2, they could do alot worse. If someone emerges as the speedster to take the top off defenses and prevent double coverage this year not only will Sammy blow up but Woods could put up career best stats. It helps that its a contract year.

He is kind of a "core guy" to me. If I were going to tier the team, he would be with Corey Graham and Preston Brown probably, the kind of guys that are steady but not flashy. They are a little limited athletically but are decent starters. Every team has guys like this.

That's because they are easy to find.

A "core player" of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 20 years.

Edited by HoF Watkins

That's because they are easy to find.

A "core player" of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 20 years.

That is my exact point. They are the "foot soliders" of the roster as Golic likes to call them. You never overpay for those guys because it you can duplicate the production for less money.

I had high hopes for Bobby, but he turned into a JAG. Based on his career stats so far, he's somewhere between Josh Reed and Peerless Price on the Bills WR spectrum, and as we've heard ad nauseum here, both those guys sucked. At $3-4M/yr, he might be worthwhile to keep. Much more than that, he'll be gone.

No, but there are a bunch of guys on the street that can come in and catch 36 balls for less than $3 or $4m (Boldin, Colston, Andre Johnson, James Jones, Roddy White, Malcolm Floyd, etc...).

I think that you see this too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay catch 70 balls.

Well maybe we should slow down calling Woods easily replaceable when we can't replace an inferior talent.

Well maybe we should slow down calling Woods easily replaceable when we can't replace an inferior talent.

to be fair, we may have - its hard to say on any of the guys that havent had big shots yet. got to let them get on the field first.

Woods will get paid esp if he puts up the numbers we think he will, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills have at the very least a chance at keeping him. Right now I hope the Bills can sign Gilmore to an extension and then play out Tyrod and use the tag on him if needed. Woods will likely be able to test the market but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills put up a competitive offer. I don't see it happening but the new ownership seems to be willing to spend so it could happen.

Woods caught 47 balls for 552 yards and 3 TDs. Boldin caught 69 for 789 and 4 TDs and he is sitting out there. Malcolm Floyd caught 30 for 561 yards and 3. Roddy White caught 43 balls for 506 and 1. James Jones caught 50 for 890 and 8. Colston caught 45 for 520 and 4. Andre Johnson caught 41 for 503 and 4.

All of those guys are on the street right now. That makes him easily replaceable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Woods caught 47 balls for 552 yards and 3 TDs. Boldin caught 69 for 789 and 4 TDs and he is sitting out there. Malcolm Floyd caught 30 for 561 yards and 3. Roddy White caught 43 balls for 506 and 1. James Jones caught 50 for 890 and 8. Colston caught 45 for 520 and 4. Andre Johnson caught 41 for 503 and 4.

All of those guys are on the street right now. That makes him easily replaceable.

Then why haven't we signed one to replace Hogan, a guy even more easily replaceable?

Then why haven't we signed one to replace Hogan, a guy even more easily replaceable?

Either they will or they are okay with what they have. The whole point was that you don't overpay for average players. If Woods gets $5M or so why re-sign him when you can get the same production for half?

If this were the old Bills, Robert Woods would be the player we kept while letting Glenn, Gilmore, and Watkins walk.

While I like Woods, and think he'd be a good player to keep around, if we cant get it done, I'm not that worried.

I would, however, be willing to offer him a 4 year/$20M extension. That's about it.

You are so right. Thanks Donahoe, Marv, and Brandon.

Either they will or they are okay with what they have. The whole point was that you don't overpay for average players. If Woods gets $5M or so why re-sign him when you can get the same production for half?

We haven't gotten the same production. You seem to be missing the point.

If the Bills pass for less total yards next year, Sammy, Woods and Clay all hit their 2015 numbers, and the gaggle of bums get less yards and TD's than Hogan, was he really easily replaceable?

if he can get 5+ mil on the open market. Where and who are these average #2's where you get the same production for half?

And wouldn't they be the first ones signed league wide? If he becomes a FA I think he will be one of the early signings.

Look at the QB's he had the past few years. last year he played hurt. The Bills lost hogan with a low ball offer. I would expect the same

With Woods. Then they need two receivers unless somene on the roster today lights it up this year. The cycle continues.

We haven't gotten the same production. You seem to be missing the point.

If the Bills pass for less total yards next year, Sammy, Woods and Clay all hit their 2015 numbers, and the gaggle of bums get less yards and TD's than Hogan, was he really easily replaceable?

I'm not following? The reason that he is easily replaceable is because you could sign any of a number of guys currently on the street for the same salary and get better production. Just because they haven't yet done that doesn't mean that they can't. He wouldn't be easily replaceable if they didn't have suitable options or had to pay more for equal production. Neither of which is the case.

I think that you could substitute Boldin for Woods or Hogan and get superior production for less money. If you add him for the same salary as Hogan this year you'd have to think that the WR group was significantly upgraded. He put up better numbers with an awful team and Blaine Gabbert.

if he can get 5+ mil on the open market. Where and who are these average #2's where you get the same production for half?

And wouldn't they be the first ones signed league wide? If he becomes a FA I think he will be one of the early signings.

Look at the QB's he had the past few years. last year he played hurt. The Bills lost hogan with a low ball offer. I would expect the same

With Woods. Then they need two receivers unless somene on the roster today lights it up this year. The cycle continues.

They are listed above with a stat comparison.

I'm not following? The reason that he is easily replaceable is because you could sign any of a number of guys currently on the street for the same salary and get better production. Just because they haven't yet done that doesn't mean that they can't. He wouldn't be easily replaceable if they didn't have suitable options or had to pay more for equal production. Neither of which is the case.

I think that you could substitute Boldin for Woods or Hogan and get superior production for less money. If you add him for the same salary as Hogan this year you'd have to think that the WR group was significantly upgraded. He put up better numbers with an awful team and Blaine Gabbert.

They are listed above with a stat comparison.

And what I'm saying is that we shouldn't act as though we have replaced them when we haven't. For all we know, Boldin thinks Buffalo sucks and wouldn't come here for $8M a season.

Boldin played as the #1 WR and got 30 more targets than Woods and averaged less per catch. I think they are closer than you think.