Robert Woods contract vs. Marvin Jones/Mohamed Sanu

And what I'm saying is that we shouldn't act as though we have replaced them when we haven't. For all we know, Boldin thinks Buffalo sucks and wouldn't come here for $8M a season.

Boldin played as the #1 WR and got 30 more targets than Woods and averaged less per catch. I think they are closer than you think.

I don't think they are that far but do think that Boldin is better. James Jones' production is the outlier but he played with Rodgers.

I never said that we adequately replaced Hogan. I'm saying that we can. You could sign any of those guys for $3M at this point and the position would be better.

Next year, we shouldn't commit $5M to Woods when we can draft a guy or sign a vet like the guys out there for cheaper. He isn't a dynamic player. He is a decent starter, a foot solider. You do not overpay for foot soldiers. You turn those guys over when they get costly. You pay the difference makers and guys whose production is harder to replicate. Every good team in the league does that. The Bills have done a great job of that. They don't have many (if any) bad contracts.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they are that far but do think that Boldin is better. James Jones' production is the outlier but he played with Rodgers.

I never said that we adequately replaced Hogan. I'm saying that we can. You could sign any of those guys for $3M at this point and the position would be better.

Next year, we shouldn't commit $5M to Woods when we can draft a guy or sign a vet like the guys out there for cheaper. He isn't a dynamic player. He is a decent starter, a foot solider. You do not overpay for foot soldiers. You turn those guys over when they get costly. You pay the difference makers and guys whose production is harder to replicate. Every good team in the league does that. The Bills have done a great job of that. They don't have many (if any) bad contracts.

i like the Bengals model with WRs here. They committed all the money to the elite player who is hard to replace and not available in every draft or FA (AJ Green) and cycle through mid round draft picks they have developed to play well as secondary options (Sanu, Jones) then let them walk and replace with draft picks and lower tier FAs (Tyler Boyd, Brandon Lafell). Pay the top notch TE who again you can't replace (Eifert). Most of the time they want to get the ball to Green and Eifert anyway. Edited by YoloinOhio

i like the Bengals model with WRs here. They committed all the money to the elite player who is hard to replace and not available in every draft or FA (AJ Green) and cycle through mid round draft picks they have developed to play well as secondary options (Sanu, Jones) then let them walk and replace with draft picks and lower tier FAs (Tyler Boyd, Brandon Lafell). Pay the top notch TE who again you can't replace (Eifert).

Exactly!! You can't overpay for solid role players. You pay the stars and the guys like Clay that are harder to find.

He plays hard but he made comments in the press about how he is the blocking WR and he seemed annoyed by it. But at least he wasn't like Mario and just stood there!

Make note, he did quite the opposite

agreed. He has an edge to him which I appreciate. I do remember it biting him though when - I think it was against the Pats at home - we were fighting all the way back and he tried to get extra yards and wouldn't go down at the sideline and then fumbled. I could be wrong on the game but I vividly remember the play.

was watching highlights a couple days ago. My eyes were always drawn to woods creating room for others. He was the key block on a bunch of long runs. I wish he got more targets. He deserves them.

I have been thinking the same. Hopefully Tyrod and he gets some trust going. Woods is more a throw him open type of guy Taylor was not doing that last year with him.

r.

Is everyone , anyone grading him on last years work? with the late stated groin injury?

Maybe we could look back fondly at nicely EJM delivered the ball on those crossing routes that got out guy killed, or just missed him even being open. Which brings me back to Tyrod.

If you fools want to base Woods stats as to his worth for Bills or to any other team really, You really need context.

If we draft a bust who catches 1 pass for -2 yards all year, was Woods easily replaceable?

If we draft a bust who catches 1 pass for -2 yards all year, was Woods easily replaceable?

No offense but that's pretty dumb. If Woods catches 4 balls this year is he easily replaceable? If you take a WR in the 1st 3 rounds it would take a miracle for them to be that inept.

And that's a decade ago, the reality is that Woods was 72nd in receptions and 78th in yards in the NFL. He is a decent player but by no means indispensable. You certainly can't overpay for him.

I'm not overpaying Woods either but drafting WR's is far from foolproof. I understand we had to revamp the defense but ideally this was the year to draft another WR who can play opposite Sammy, for the simple reason as you have argued Woods is going to get over payed lets no be the ones to do it.

I have been yapping about Boldin since FA started and I'm hopeful they bring him in. Some of the other vets you had listed would scare the heck out of me. Andre Johnson has a hard time getting any separation, Floyd was injured again last year and contemplating retirement.

Edited by Commonsense

I'm not overpaying Woods either but drafting WR's is far from foolproof. I understand we had to revamp the defense but ideally this was the year to draft another WR who can play opposite Sammy, for the simple reason as you have argued Woods is going to get over payed lets no be the ones to do it.

I agree but there are always Tyler Boyd or Sterling Shepard types that can be had after the 1st and are close to foolproof. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I agree but there are always Tyler Boyd types that can be had after the 1st and are close to foolproof.

Hah seems we think alike. That's the guy I had targeted in the second for us! The reason I wanted a guy drafted this year was to avoid depending on a rookie to contribute next year, that's always a tough task.

Hah seems we think alike. That's the guy I had targeted in the second for us! The reason I wanted a guy drafted this year was to avoid depending on a rookie to contribute next year, that's always a tough task.

the nice thing the Bengals were able to do there is remain patient and instead of reaching for a WR in the 1st where they had a huge hole to fill, they went BPA and took a a CB and then waited to see which WR fell to them in the 2bd. I love the fit there too. As a WR 2 I think Boyd is Woods-like in his ability to run clean routes and be where he is supposed to be.

the nice thing the Bengals were able to do there is remain patient and instead of reaching for a WR in the 1st where they had a huge hole to fill, they went BPA and took a a CB and then waited to see which WR fell to them in the 2bd. I love the fit there too. As a WR 2 I think Boyd is Woods-like in his ability to run clean routes and be where he is supposed to be.

Yeah I hate the Bengals but I love the fit for Boyd there and I'm hoping he does well outside of our game against them. He is a rookie WR worth considering in fantasy, he should get favorable match ups with Eifert and AJ demanding so much attention. Cinci lost some pieces on defense so they should be in more high scoring games as well.

Now back to Buffalo, I wanted to draft the WR this year he could have settled into Hogans spot and transitioned to a number 2 next year if/when Woods departs. Unfortunately we needed to address immediate needs on D and now we will be in an interesting spot next year at WR.

Edited by Commonsense

He fees like Woods. A productive college player with a high floor. He comes with little risk.

I saw a clip from the first Patriots game in 15 with Woods running wide open on a slant in the middle of the field. Tyrod just didn't see him. A lot of his game seems to be short/crossing routes and hitches, very little vertical stuff. That is not the type of player that will see big production with TT, further very few #2 WR's see production in Romans offense. At times last year Woods would talk about his role as far as being a blocking WR. How he took that role very seriously. At the same time you would sort of hear an undertone with his comments as if he wasn't happy and wanted to ball more. He's a pro, he would never come right out and say he wanted more targets. Instead he focused his energy on being a great blocker and as far as that's concerned I doubt you will see much tape that doesn't indicate as much. He was always driving CB's and playing to the end of the whistle. We will lose Woods after this year, pretty much certain of it. All the while I don't think we will ever know the type of player he was until he get's matched up with the right QB. Patriots? Wouldn't surprise me.

I saw a clip from the first Patriots game in 15 with Woods running wide open on a slant in the middle of the field. Tyrod just didn't see him. A lot of his game seems to be short/crossing routes and hitches, very little vertical stuff. That is not the type of player that will see big production with TT, further very few #2 WR's see production in Romans offense. At times last year Woods would talk about his role as far as being a blocking WR. How he took that role very seriously. At the same time you would sort of hear an undertone with his comments as if he wasn't happy and wanted to ball more. He's a pro, he would never come right out and say he wanted more targets. Instead he focused his energy on being a great blocker and as far as that's concerned I doubt you will see much tape that doesn't indicate as much. He was always driving CB's and playing to the end of the whistle. We will lose Woods after this year, pretty much certain of it. All the while I don't think we will ever know the type of player he was until he get's matched up with the right QB. Patriots? Wouldn't surprise me.

I feel like he will want to be a bigger part of an offense (kinda like Sanu and Jones). He may go somewhere like SF or LA.

No offense but that's pretty dumb. If Woods catches 4 balls this year is he easily replaceable? If you take a WR in the 1st 3 rounds it would take a miracle for them to be that inept.

If an elephant walks out and takes a dump on the field, is Woods easily replaceable THEN?

If an elephant walks out and takes a dump on the field, is Woods easily replaceable THEN?

The question was if a guy replacing him had 1 catch for -2 yards was Woods easily replaceable? The Bills wouldn't be replacing their #2 WR with a guy that would have 1 catch for -2 yards. It will either be an accomplished vet on a short deal or a WR picked in the first few rounds. The dumb question got the dumb response.

He fees like Woods. A productive college player with a high floor. He comes with little risk.

Woods availability when we took him is a prime example. Seems we are same page with the day two rookie or 30 something rental. Now that we have a strong roster the latter is more possible too - they would consider us.

Heck - that we rolled out productivity with Donald jones, David Nelson (and Stevie) a few years ago. None great #1 options but as a 2-4 you are kind of 6 of 1 half dozen of the other to woods hogan. I'd rather them at league min than woods hogan at 9-10m

Everyone against it will reference hardy but we've had a ton of guys that can contribute if not asked to be a game breaker

Edited by NoSaint