Robert Woods contract vs. Marvin Jones/Mohamed Sanu

That's one thing you can always count on with Woods--he competes.

I remember watching that Bengals debacle last year, and by the 4th quarter, he looked like the only guy on the offensive side of the ball that was alive.

agreed. He has an edge to him which I appreciate. I do remember it biting him though when - I think it was against the Pats at home - we were fighting all the way back and he tried to get extra yards and wouldn't go down at the sideline and then fumbled. I could be wrong on the game but I vividly remember the play.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Woods plays hard and hurt. He is a tough guy and a decent football player. That's really what he is though, a decent football player. If he is back at the right price, great. If not, you can take a guy in the 1st few rounds or in free agency that can mirror his production. It is similar to the Hogan situation. If he goes, you can find 50 guys that can give you that production with that opportunity. You can sign Boldin for less than Hogan (probably) and he had way better stats than Hogan or Woods.

He isn't a guy that you overpay for because it is easy to find his skill set. You overpay for guys that are hard to come by in terms of what they can do (and QBs). That is part of the reason that I have no issue with the Clay contract. He is so versatile that he gives d coordinators headaches. It is difficult to find someone that is as well rounded and athletic as Clay.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If this were the old Bills, Robert Woods would be the player we kept while letting Glenn, Gilmore, and Watkins walk.

While I like Woods, and think he'd be a good player to keep around, if we cant get it done, I'm not that worried.

I would, however, be willing to offer him a 4 year/$20M extension. That's about it.

that's what I was thinking. Woods is a solid #2 receiver. I'd like to see the Bills offer him this deal now. Let him feel like he's a priority for the team and let him get some long term salary stability without having to overpay once he hits the open market.

If this were the old Bills, Robert Woods would be the player we kept while letting Glenn, Gilmore, and Watkins walk.

While I like Woods, and think he'd be a good player to keep around, if we cant get it done, I'm not that worried.

I would, however, be willing to offer him a 4 year/$20M extension. That's about it.

he will see north of $6mm I think

agreed. He has an edge to him which I appreciate. I do remember it biting him though when - I think it was against the Pats at home - we were fighting all the way back and he tried to get extra yards and wouldn't go down at the sideline and then fumbled. I could be wrong on the game but I vividly remember the play.

Pretty sure that was the Giants game, and I never agreed with the ridicule there (though I seemed to be the only one). We hadn't "fought all the way back" at the time. We were still within reach of winning, but the whole team was playing like crap and couldn't get out of it's own way. At the time, I think Woods was trying to get SOMETHING going, and I don't mind a guy trying to fight to break free or get a few extra yards in that situation to hopefully spark something.

But understanding his motivation doesn't excuse the result. That fumble killed us and was the last thing in the world he should have let happen there. I appreciate the effort, but ya can't drop the friggin ball!

BTW, I think Woods is going to have a really good year, especially if Listenbee can get on the field.

he will see north of $6mm I think

I dont doubt it. And he's welcome to try to get it. But that would be my offer to him right now if he wanted to take the money and not worry about it later. Otherwise, best of luck Robert, it was nice having you while it lasted.

Woods is the most under appreciated player on this team IMO, not only by the fans in general but the coaching staff, which surprises me. Factor in the different QB's (# of and QB play itself), injury (playing through it, when many wouldnt), run heavy offense, not starting every game last year and lack of public support/belief from the organization... I dont get it.

Woods would have had around 7/8 TD's and 800 yards receiving in 2014 (full healthy year 2) if he didnt have EJ Manuel air mailing passes over his head the first quarter of the season (check the game logs w/Orton vs. Manuel, reception/target rate 38% up to 72%). Despite another new QB and being demoted to start the season last year and playing through a groin injury that ended up requiring surgery he still produced at a pretty equal rate if you look beyond the front line "stats". I think he's a better WR than he gets credit for.

I dont get it. He'll go somewhere else most likely and be productive especially if the system has a QB that utilizes Woods strengths or a legit passing QB, while the Bills cycle through street FA's and draft picks that may or may not produce and play like their hair is on fire, "cant wait".

Worked for the Eagles, sorry Chiefs with Maclin...

I believe the organization has already decided to let him go at the end of the year, regardless of future contractual issues and I hope I am wrong.

I believe the organization has already decided to let him go at the end of the year, regardless of future contractual issues and I hope I am wrong.

I agree with your assessment of Woods, but...

At the end of the day, it's a numbers game. You simply cant re-sign everyone. Id much rather see them dedicate resources to Glenn/Gilmore/Taylor/Watkins than the depth players. We had to let Searcy walk, this will probably be similar.

I agree with your assessment of Woods, but...

At the end of the day, it's a numbers game. You simply cant re-sign everyone. Id much rather see them dedicate resources to Glenn/Gilmore/Taylor/Watkins than the depth players. We had to let Searcy walk, this will probably be similar.

we have had trouble finding WR's and the market is never that good.

I'm not ready to ink taytay yet

I think that Woods plays hard and hurt. He is a tough guy and a decent football player. That's really what he is though, a decent football player. If he is back at the right price, great. If not, you can take a guy in the 1st few rounds or in free agency that can mirror his production. It is similar to the Hogan situation. If he goes, you can find 50 guys that can give you that production with that opportunity. You can sign Boldin for less than Hogan (probably) and he had way better stats than Hogan or Woods.

He isn't a guy that you overpay for because it is easy to find his skill set. You overpay for guys that are hard to come by in terms of what they can do (and QBs). That is part of the reason that I have no issue with the Clay contract. He is so versatile that he gives d coordinators headaches. It is difficult to find someone that is as well rounded and athletic as Clay.

Have we even replaced Hogan yet?

I look for Hankerson, Boykin or Salas to emerge as the replacement for Hogan's role in this offense. Woods remains the #2 and now healthy, should be similar to how he played in 2014. I think Clay will see a decent amount of targets along with Shady McCoy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Have we even replaced Hogan yet?

No, but there are a bunch of guys on the street that can come in and catch 36 balls for less than $3 or $4m (Boldin, Colston, Andre Johnson, James Jones, Roddy White, Malcolm Floyd, etc...).

I look for Hankerson, Boykin or Salas to emerge as the replacement for Hogan's role in this offense. Woods remains the #2 and now healthy, should be similar to how he played in 2014. I think Clay will see a decent amount of targets along with Shady McCoy.

I think that you see this too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clay catch 70 balls.

Forgot about hankerson- he's got potential. It's unfair to woods, but I look at him and all I see is josh reed for some reason.. Not type of WR, but overall value to the team.

So what? He is is nice to have around, I suppose, but he is nothing special. I guess things have slowed down, post-draft, so it's time to bicker about Robert Woods again. He gets so much print here, one would think he was a difference maker....he's not.

So what? He is is nice to have around, I suppose, but he is nothing special. I guess things have slowed down, post-draft, so it's time to bicker about Robert Woods again. He gets so much print here, one would think he was a difference maker....he's not.

He is kind of a "core guy" to me. If I were going to tier the team, he would be with Corey Graham and Preston Brown probably, the kind of guys that are steady but not flashy. They are a little limited athletically but are decent starters. Every team has guys like this.

That's one thing you can always count on with Woods--he competes.

I remember watching that Bengals debacle last year, and by the 4th quarter, he looked like the only guy on the offensive side of the ball that was alive.

was watching highlights a couple days ago. My eyes were always drawn to woods creating room for others. He was the key block on a bunch of long runs. I wish he got more targets. He deserves them.

For all of the crap Robert Woods takes here I really hope he does well this upcoming year AND we lock him up.

Draft good players.....cultivate good players.....sign your own good players.

The thing that is missing out of this group is the speedster that runs coverage deep to open things up. We wanted Goodwin to be that guy......I hope Listenbee can be that guy.

Woods brings things to this team that are not counted on a stat sheet.....while still providing comparable numbers to a guy like Sanu