Robert Woods contract vs. Marvin Jones/Mohamed Sanu

Why Robert Woods may be harder to keep in FA than you think

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2016/5/10/11646004/robert-woods-contract-projection-marvin-jones-mohamed-sanu-comparison?utm_campaign=buffalorumblings&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Based on his production to date, Woods may be on track for a free agent deal at least on par with the one Mohamed Sanu signed in Atlanta this spring

Here is the original article from Sal

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22736348.php?contentType=4&contentId=18737353

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he will be anything less than very hard to keep. I'd be amazed if Woods is on the Bills in 2017. Pay Sammy and draft one contract 2nd an 3rd round guys and cycle through street FAs around him. I'm certain that is the plan.

Edited by GunnerBill

I could really care less, Robert Woods has a good skill set but he's pretty average. He hasn't brought much to the table as of yet. Maybe and hopefully he has a break out year.

So good to know you care somewhat and you should. Woods is a good player.

I saw that and I admit that while I like (not LOVE) Woods, I was quite surprised. He has played hurt and prior to that had some iffy QB play, so it's a big year for him to earn a serious contract!

Good find, Yolo. The contracts that second and third tier WRs were getting this past offseason were crazy. Woods is in line for a similar contract to Sanu (plus 5-8% due to cap increase) and the Bills should let him go if that's the case. Sanu isn't worth what he got and Woods isn't worth that much either. I'm not sure what he'd be willing to take as a contract extension now, but I can't imagine the discount would be deep enough to make it worthwhile for the Bills. Woods is looking at a five year deal at $6.5M-$7M a year and $14M-$15M guaranteed next offseason if the market holds. The 2016 free agency period didn't have much in the way of WRs and some serious premiums were paid. I have no idea what the 2017 class will look like.

It's one of the reasons why I wanted Braxton Miller in the 3rd round.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't totally dialed into one prospect, but I wanted the Bills to come away with a quality prospect. Miller would have been great in the 3rd. That's the latest I wanted to see one drafted.

I don't think he will be anything less than very hard to keep. I'd be amazed if Woods is on the Bills in 2017. Pay Sammy and draft one contract 2nd an 3rd round guys and cycle through street FAs around him. I'm certain that is the plan.

I agree this is the plan, but another one we don't seem to touch on is there's (at least probably) an art to what they are doing with bringing in these particular street FAs. Hankerson, Salas, Boykin, and Little all have had flashes -- particularly Hankerson -- and have shown promise. They're all almost zero risk, no drag on the salary cap choices. WRs have a habit of blossoming in 3rd, 4th, an 5th seasons. When Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell joined up in Jacksonville, they each had four seasons and between them about 1000 yards. Chances are at most one of them makes the active roster (Salas), but I like the strategy, and actually love how they have have addressed the WR2 position with Woods still there and Listenbee an intriguing option (speed and great ball-tracking).

Robert Woods is as good as gone either way. I think he misses the West coast. I think he goes to a California team. You could tell he wasn't happy last year with his role as a "blocking WR"

how could you tell? I saw him downfield many teams selling out to help the play.

i have a feeling he will land in that mid tier vet receiver bubble where i dont think theres a lot of value. theres a segment of guys that get a lot and arent widely different in ability from each other. a lot of times a young guy can come in and make similar impact. i wouldnt pay big money in that tier unless you are 1 player away, or have a real hole in the WR depth chart.

how could you tell? I saw him downfield many teams selling out to help the play.

He plays hard but he made comments in the press about how he is the blocking WR and he seemed annoyed by it. But at least he wasn't like Mario and just stood there!

At least Woods will be highly motivated to have a great season before a new contract.

this is my optimistic viewpoint as well. I don't see him as irreplaceable but I think he's capable of helping our team this year and will be extra motivated. However, replacing him will now need to take place early in next year's draft unless someone like Listenbee explodes as a rookie and proves worthy of the #2 spot. Likelihood of that is low simply because rookies tend to take some time. I think he can contribute in spots though.

He plays hard but he made comments in the press about how he is the blocking WR and he seemed annoyed by it. But at least he wasn't like Mario and just stood there!

That's one thing you can always count on with Woods--he competes.

I remember watching that Bengals debacle last year, and by the 4th quarter, he looked like the only guy on the offensive side of the ball that was alive.

If this were the old Bills, Robert Woods would be the player we kept while letting Glenn, Gilmore, and Watkins walk.

While I like Woods, and think he'd be a good player to keep around, if we cant get it done, I'm not that worried.

I would, however, be willing to offer him a 4 year/$20M extension. That's about it.