jim kelly salary today

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I'm intrigued by is 'How different would Jim Kelly's stats be in this era?'

Because if you're looking at a 60.1% completion rate, 7.4 YPA, 5.0% TD rate, 3.7% INT rate, 84.4 QB rating type of guy, he's not far from being Jay Cutler.

Nothing meant as an insult, I've only watched Jim in Super Bowl re-runs and highlight reels.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I've only watched Jim in Super Bowl re-runs and highlight reels.

That's unfortunate. Kelly was not at his best in those games. Week in, week out he was a warrior, a franchise culture changer, a true HOF'er.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Kelly's ability to run the offense without looking at the sideline and waiting to be told what to do every step of the way is what would set him apart from the majority of NFL QBs today. Especially on the Bills.

I can't imagine Kelly calling a timeout because his headphones weren't working and he couldn't call a play. Ever.

The best QBs in today's game don't need to be handheld.

If we had the salary cap and free agency then we don't go to 4 Super Bowls. It was a different era. You can't put teams together like that anymore. Jim would want a Drew Brees contract which means you can't afford Thurman and Bruce and Andre. Look at Tyrod. He wants a 20 mil contract so we won't be able to afford the pieces to put around him to make him successful. Today's NFL is about value. The Patriots get it but most other teams don't

If we had the salary cap and free agency then we don't go to 4 Super Bowls. It was a different era. You can't put teams together like that anymore. Jim would want a Drew Brees contract which means you can't afford Thurman and Bruce and Andre. Look at Tyrod. He wants a 20 mil contract so we won't be able to afford the pieces to put around him to make him successful. Today's NFL is about value. The Patriots get it but most other teams don't

Agreed.

I still say we cut Shady if Tyrod gets a rich deal because we cannot invest that much money in the backfield. The only reason Shady is getting sick-money now is because we haven't had to pay a QB.

Kelly's ability to run the offense without looking at the sideline and waiting to be told what to do every step of the way is what would set him apart from the majority of NFL QBs today. Especially on the Bills.

I can't imagine Kelly calling a timeout because his headphones weren't working and he couldn't call a play. Ever.

+1

Jim Kelly signed a six year deal in 1990 worth 21,000,000 including the signing bonus

Today, that would be worth 38,400,000, or approximately 6.2 million per year.

Thurman made approximately 25 million between 1990 and 2000 - can't get exact without paying for spotrac premium. About 4 mil / year in today's dollars

Bruce - apx. 32 million between 1989 and 2000. 5 mil / year today

Andre - apx. 10 million between 1990 and 2000. 1.8 mil / year today

Again, can't get bonus and exact information on spotrac without a subscription but these numbers are pretty close.

It was a different era.

1994 was the first season with a salary cap. It was 34 million dollars. By 2000, it was 62 million.

the four HOFers would have had a combined salary around 12 million per year in 1994, or around 30% of the cap.

Jim himself would have been at 15% of the cap.

Edited by Harryhood280

I think there's a lot more to that than you're making it seem. I don't think it's necessarily the QB's that are so different; it's everything around them. Offenses are more complex and coaches are far more controlling of the play calls. If your coach tells you to call the play as they come in to you, that's what you do.

Jim played in a different era. If he played today, and came up through college programs that take almost all responsibility off the QBs, and into an NFL that puts a leash on them (not to mention has to learn a new offensive system every 1-2 years as coaches move on or get fired), I doubt he would be the same type of player.

Brady and Peyton got that point in today's game, so it's not like I'm saying it's impossible, but I don't think it's quite so cut and dry either.

The thing I'm intrigued by is 'How different would Jim Kelly's stats be in this era?'

Because if you're looking at a 60.1% completion rate, 7.4 YPA, 5.0% TD rate, 3.7% INT rate, 84.4 QB rating type of guy, he's not far from being Jay Cutler.

Nothing meant as an insult, I've only watched Jim in Super Bowl re-runs and highlight reels.

For career stats. You look at individual year stats, and his best years (90-91) were solidly top-10 in today's league (either directly, or extrapolated to today's pass-happy offenses.)

Jim Kelly signed a six year deal in 1990 worth 21,000,000 including the signing bonus

Today, that would be worth 38,400,000, or approximately 6.2 million per year.

Thurman made approximately 25 million between 1990 and 2000 - can't get exact without paying for spotrac premium. About 4 mil / year in today's dollars

Bruce - apx. 32 million between 1989 and 2000. 5 mil / year today

Andre - apx. 10 million between 1990 and 2000. 1.8 mil / year today

Again, can't get bonus and exact information on spotrac without a subscription but these numbers are pretty close.

It was a different era.

1994 was the first season with a salary cap. It was 34 million dollars. By 2000, it was 62 million.

the four HOFers would have had a combined salary around 12 million per year in 1994, or around 30% of the cap.

Jim himself would have been at 15% of the cap.

Those numbers are not even close to being right. You fail to calculate how salaries have skyrocketed from the 1990's. Bruce Smith arguably being the best defensive player for a 3-4 year range(Reggie White/Lawrence Taylor in the mix) would have gotten a $100 million dollar contract playing in todays market with $50 to $60 million guaranteed. I bet it really sticks in their craws seeing the contracts floated around in today's game for even average NFL players. Especially Reed, bad timing & it always seemed like he was coming off an injury during his contract year or had a down year. But he really made peanuts during his career. Maybe that is why he was always bitter about something.

Edited by Gordio

Agreed.

I still say we cut Shady if Tyrod gets a rich deal because we cannot invest that much money in the backfield. The only reason Shady is getting sick-money now is because we haven't had to pay a QB.

We haven't, and still don't have a QB worth paying that type of money.