Shady's value to the Bills...

This is gonna be a big prove it year for Shady.......

When healthy he is one of the main cogs of this team

but

Off the field he is an issue

He got hurt in his first year with us

I just get this sense that bills mgt is a bit irritated with him.....and they showed it by drafting a RB this year (who might be very good)

I see the drafting of Jon Williams having more to do with Karlos Williams than Shady McCoy.

Karlos' concussion history is a big concern.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Not even close, and he's going to be 7.7% next year.

3.98 in 2015

4.88 in 2016

7.71 in 2017--assuming he doesn't restructure.

The question, however, was about 2016.

Friendly, honest question: Can you think of even 1 move that Whaley has made........1 move, that you didn't whole heartedly agree with?

Sure.

I read the first three pages and ready to comment. It is hard to predict because if he plays 5 of 16 games due to injury he could be gone in 2017. If he has a very productive year, then we get the most out if his contract by playing out 2017.

In 2018 he loses leverage, as he is older and he either takes a pay cut, or cut, or just cut anyway. Other factors to consider is Karlos Williams health and production, the draft pick Williams production, and whether Rex and Roman are here. All of these things determine what we do over then next two years.

So bottom line is there is not enough information to give an intelligent answer. It's too far off in the future and basically today this speculation without necessary information.

Friendly, honest question: Can you think of even 1 move that Whaley has made........1 move, that you didn't whole heartedly agree with?

Off the top of my head:

1. I don't think Clay's pay is commensurate with his use.
  2. I hope that Dareus' extension entails much more variety of use, he's too expensive for a space eater.
  3. Wasn't wild about the EJ pick.
  4. Understood why Freddy was let go, didn't love it.
  5. I don't think they did enough this offseason to address safety--though I don't like criticizing a guy for what he doesn't do.
  6. I'm future-cringing about Kyle being let go after June 1--see no.'s 4 & 5
Edited by The Big Cat

He's a good back but an awkward fit with Roman. We'll ride it out for another year or 2 and then Jonathan Williams all day.

two years unless a trade is offered, which i think unlikely.

There are so many more details to consider when evaluating a player through the season.

So is Shady a threat to DEF coordinator i general ?

And can he actually make good on that threat.

Do Defenses key on him more than Gillislee? Like they might over Sammy versus Hogan ?

I gotta think we can all agree Bills OVERPAID for him. They overpaid for Clay Too.

That is was what they did last year to create and explosive offense. This is akin to trading up for Watkins who was not fully utilized till last half of last year.

Well they came up short for a couple reasons.

But i think this season folks might be changing the tune to some degree about Shady and Clay. Already happened with Sammy,

look what happened when Watkins got rolling.

LOTS and LOTS of factors were at play last season and you just cannot look at McCoy's play in a vacuum as some are attempting.

I bet they cut him or restructure his contract if/when they re-sign/extend Tyrod Taylor.

No way they can justify investing THAT much money in the backfield!

dead money man , dead money. he gets paid regardless

He's a good back but an awkward fit with Roman. We'll ride it out for another year or 2 and then Jonathan Williams all day.

how is he an awkward fit? I've heard this before and can't make any sense of it.

how is he an awkward fit? I've heard this before and can't make any sense of it.

He'll forego the 7 yard gain to cut outside and try to make a big play. And then come back and do the same the next play. Sometimes that results in less yardage. He's also one of the most elusive backs there is so you win some you lose some. He regularly makes something out of nothing, though G Ro doesn't need his backs to do that as much as past Bills coaches have because he knows how to open holes for em.

McCoy is insistent on choosing his own hole which to me works better in a more spread offense like Andy Reid's or Chip's. Roman's offense is power run designed for a back to set up his blocks and get up the field in a hurry. One cut runners with power to tack on yards at the end of the run are the optimal fit.

It'll work fine because he's a good back working with the best run game coordinator in the league. There were 2 or 3 games this year we wouldn't have won without standout performances from Shady including Color Rush against the Jets, shouldn't be overlooked. But in this system we'll squeeze more juice from a back of the same caliber but who moves up the field aggressively and wants to go with the play and grind.

Just one take o course, I don't foresee a huge dropoff when he moves on.

He'll forego the 7 yard gain to cut outside and try to make a big play. And then come back and do the same the next play. Sometimes that results in less yardage. He's also one of the most elusive backs there is so you win some you lose some. He regularly makes something out of nothing, though G Ro doesn't need his backs to do that as much as past Bills coaches have because he knows how to open holes for em.

McCoy is insistent on choosing his own hole which to me works better in a more spread offense like Andy Reid's or Chip's. Roman's offense is power run designed for a back to set up his blocks and get up the field in a hurry. One cut runners with power to tack on yards at the end of the run are the optimal fit.

It'll work fine because he's a good back working with the best run game coordinator in the league. There were 2 or 3 games this year we wouldn't have won without standout performances from Shady including Color Rush against the Jets, shouldn't be overlooked. But in this system we'll squeeze more juice from a back of the same caliber but who moves up the field aggressively and wants to go with the play and grind.

Did you just give credit to Shady for helping us win games? Ballsy. But let me straighten you on on this; if Shady contributes to a win, it's purely coincidental and directly attributable to the rest of the team around him. When Shady contributes to a loss, it's all his fault. Got it?

GO BILLS!!!

two years unless a trade is offered, which i think unlikely.

There are so many more details to consider when evaluating a player through the season.

So is Shady a threat to DEF coordinator i general ?

And can he actually make good on that threat.

Do Defenses key on him more than Gillislee? Like they might over Sammy versus Hogan ?

I gotta think we can all agree Bills OVERPAID for him. They overpaid for Clay Too.

That is was what they did last year to create and explosive offense. This is akin to trading up for Watkins who was not fully utilized till last half of last year.

Well they came up short for a couple reasons.

But i think this season folks might be changing the tune to some degree about Shady and Clay. Already happened with Sammy,

look what happened when Watkins got rolling.

LOTS and LOTS of factors were at play last season and you just cannot look at McCoy's play in a vacuum as some are attempting.

He's a good back and a blast to watch. He runs with a determination that comes from having a chip on his shoulder. He wants those big plays bad I just don't think his style is a great match. But I said this after we gave him all that money, if he helps us reach the playoffs and wash off the stink , he's worth every penny. Another reason why it's not about his play in a vacuum.

you've seen him give up 7 yard gains? Is it really that obvious.

I know there are some vociferous posters who really hate the deal the Bills signed Shady to after acquiring him from Philly.

Per Spotrac, Shady's cap hit this season is 4.88% of the Bills' overall cap.

My question for those who love, hate, or don't care about the contract is this -- is <5% of the team salary cap appropriate for a player of Shady's abilities?

FYI, that ranks 4th on the roster, behind Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore.

Discuss.

Yep- definitely top 4 player on the team not on their rookie deal.

He's a good back and a blast to watch. He runs with a determination that comes from having a chip on his shoulder. He wants those big plays bad I just don't think his style is a great match. But I said this after we gave him all that money, if he helps us reach the playoffs and wash off the stink , he's worth every penny. Another reason why it's not about his play in a vacuum.

second year under Roman, and the line settling down last year should be an advantage to Shady. as it would any player, especially RB though. Knowing what his guys are going to do or not do actually will help him make better decisions which path to follow.

This guy can cut like no bodies business. But he could make slightly better choices. Never for lack of effort though.

Second year in for so many players and coaches will define this team IMHO.

second year under Roman, and the line settling down last year should be an advantage to Shady. as it would any player, especially RB though. Knowing what his guys are going to do or not do actually will help him make better decisions which path to follow.

This guy can cut like no bodies business. But he could make slightly better choices. Never for lack of effort though.

I'm really excited to watch him play this season. Don't understand people wasting so much time and effort to complain about his contract, they've complained since day 1 and will continue to complain until his career here is over, and likely won't stop there. He's a great back, looking forward to seeing him carry the ball, he's explosive and a game changer.

you've seen him give up 7 yard gains? Is it really that obvious.

You can see him giving up yardage to make his incredible cuts at times, yeah. You win some you lose some.

Common ground :thumbsup:

:lol: Totally fair.

And I agree his 2015 season did not live up to the expectations. He needs to stay on the field this year and produce. No question about that.

Though, in the spirit of Bugs splitting hares, I am a firm believer that he's not injury prone (his career demonstrates this) and last year's hammy was more a product of the style of camp the Bills were running than any sort of indication he's hit a physical wall. Continuity is the buzz word around here, for better and worse, but in McCoy's case I have to believe having a full year of Roman's system under his belt and (hopefully) a healthy camp this year with no QB controversy or need to double the reps will only help his production.

I expect Shady to have a statement year. The Bills need him to if they want to get into the playoffs.

Where did I say it wasn't pertinent. I'm acknowledging the league is violent and career changing injuries can happen to anyone on any play regardless of injury history. I do not believe he's injury prone, but won't just blindly say he'll be on this team in 2017 no matter what because injuries happen.

Here's the bet, if Shady finishes the 2017 roster as a Bill, you have to change your screen name to BADOL LOVES SHADY MCCOY and keep it that way for a full season. Deal?

If Shady couldn't muster a statement year with all the motivation he had last year......well let's say I have my doubts. :rolleyes:

As for the wager:

Absolutely! And if Shady isn't on the team when the season starts you gotta' do the same but your screen name will be #BADOL WAS RIGHT :(:thumbsup:

You can see him giving up yardage to make his incredible cuts at times, yeah. You win some you lose some.

without question Aaron. He thought he needed to carry the load i might imagine. The O line was not smooth much less cohesive starting out last season.

If they all could just relax and run(execute) the play calls this year, possibly everyone will look better.

Roman had a learning curve too

Common ground :thumbsup:

Of course brother, i know that : )

Edited by 3rdand12