Shady's value to the Bills...

You guys are making my head hurt with all this inaccuate math and logic that some of you are using to justify Mccoy. 1st of all I support being on the team 100%. With that being said the math being used to agure the point is assine to be polite.

Yes Mccoy cap total does represent 4.88 of the total cap for the BILLS, HOWEVER stats like "Shady is less than 5% of the total cap hit producing 20-25% of the offense is such total misrepsentation of a stat its laughable.

Let me ask you all a question? How much of the cap does Marcel Darius represent compared to his OFFENSE output does he represent. Right 0%. So why would you compare Mccoys cap hit% which represents ALL players on the team not just offense to compare his worth to the OFFENSE.

A better comparison is take the cap totals for ALL players on offense and convert that to a percentage of cap hits for all the players on OFFENSE then compare it to McCoy and though it may still come out favorable for McCoy would be a lot more accurate than just comparing McCoy cap hit% to the whole rest of the team to discuss his worth. Also keep in mind that total would include offense lineman but you get the point

Edited by Protocal69

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are making my head hurt with all this inaccuate math and logic that some of you are using to justify Mccoy. 1st of all I support being on the team 100%. With that being said the math being used to agure the point is assine to be polite.

Yes Mccoy cap total does represent 4.88 of the total cap for the BILLS, HOWEVER stats like "Shady less than 5% producing 20-25% of the offense is su ach total misrepsentation of a stat its laughable.

Let me ask you all a question? How much of the cap does Marcel Darius represent compared to his OFFENSE output does he represent. Right 0%. So why would you compare Mccoys cap hit% which represents ALL players on the team not just offense to compare his worth to the offense

A better comparison is take the cap hits for all the players on OFFENSE then compare it to McCoy and though it may still come out favorable for McCoy would be a lot more accurate than just comparing McCoy cap hit% to the whole rest of the team to discuss his worth.

Okay. Thanks.

So he's not worth 4.88% then?

It's not about giving him credit. It's about determining his value.

Let's rewind to about 14 months ago: if someone were to ask you how you'd feel if Shady were signed to less than 5% of the cap to gain more than a quarter of our yards from scrimmage, would you take that deal? Would you take that deal at 20%?

These are a yes or no questions, just like eball's. To answer them is to provide one of two words: yes or no.

1. Would you pay Shady less than 5% of the cap for more than 25% of yards from scrimmage?
  2. Would you pay Shady less than 5% of the cap for more than 20% of yards from scrimmage?

My answer to both would be NO. On a dollar per yard basis, we got about 3 times the production out of Fred in 2014. Same goes for Chandler at TE vs. Clay. We spent a $hitload of money on these guys for the same production we got the year before at a lot less money. So while the cap money spent is "appropriate", McCoy has yet been "worth" it.

Lesean McCoy was 25th in the NFL for yards from scrimmage in 2015, yet is the 4th highest paid RB and 21st highest paid of RB and WR's combined.

AKA overpaid.

How much cap room do the QB's of those teams occupy? You seem to be missing the OP's larger point.

No you didn't. Gillsie did not have McCoy's production. In his five games with Buffalo Gillslie had 296 yfs. In 12 games McCoy had 1187. That's 59.2 ypg compared to 98.9. Unless you meant something different by "similar."

Second, we're not talking about individuals here, we're talking about the team's production. McCoy added a dimension to the offense that neither Karlos nor Gillsile did. This is not debatable.

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

But anyway (and again):

In his 12 games, 7 were losses. In 4 of those 7 losses, he had an avg of 65 YPG rushing. In the 5 wins, 2 of them he rushed for 41 and 16 yards.

My answer to both would be NO. On a dollar per yard basis, we got about 3 times the production out of Fred in 2014. Same goes for Chandler at TE vs. Clay. We spent a $hitload of money on these guys for the same production we got the year before at a lot less money. So while the cap money spent is "appropriate", McCoy has yet been "worth" it.

Well, this whole exercise is bunk since the 4.88 is his 2016 number. His 2015 number was 3.98.

But anyhow, I'm not so sure of your math.

Freddy's total pay in 2014 was 3,850.

McCoy's in 2015 was 5,500.

Freddy had 1,026 in 2015.

In 2016 McCoy had 1,187.

That's $3,752.43/yard vs. $4,633.52.

Shady was 1.23 times more expensive than Fred on a per yard basis. Not "three times."

This topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

But anyway (and again):

In his 12 games, 7 were losses. In 4 of those 7 losses, he had an avg of 65 YPG rushing. In the 5 wins, 2 of them he rushed for 41 and 16 yards.

Your math counts his half game against WAS as a full game to get to your YPG number. And you've completely omitted his receiving production in those games. Why'd you do that?

If Shady is healthy this year hes gonna tear the league to shreds....im thinkin 1500+ yards and 10 total TDs. This guy has a huge ego and he needs to feed it, all the off season bull and doubts combined with an injury filled first year in Buffalo are fueling his fire.

Well, this whole exercise is bunk since the 4.88 is his 2016 number. His 2015 number was 3.98.

In 2016 McCoy had 1,187.

Shady was 1.23 times more expensive than Fred on a per yard basis. Not "three times."

I stand corrected. I had read elsewhere that Fred was only 2.5M and LeShady 8.5M. Next time I will check the contract info at Buffalorumblings before posting. But that also means that LeShady's %age of total cap last year was nowhere near 4.88%. I assume we're getting that number from his 2016 salary numbers, but since we don't know his 2016 production yet, the argument is moot (or should I say mute).

I stand corrected. I had read elsewhere that Fred was only 2.5M and LeShady 8.5M. Next time I will check the contract info at Buffalorumblings before posting. But that also means that LeShady's %age of total cap last year was nowhere near 4.88%. I assume we're getting that number from his 2016 salary numbers, but since we don't know his 2016 production yet, the argument is moot (or should I say mute).

It's like a cow's opinion. Nobody cares.

His 2015 number was 3.98. His 2016 number will be 4.88.

All these numbers according to sportrac.

In 2016 McCoy had 1,187.

Your math counts his half game against WAS as a full game to get to your YPG number. And you've completely omitted his receiving production in those games. Why'd you do that?

I'm sorry, if you want to double his WAS rushing yards he gets a bit more than his rushing totals for the 2 wins against Miami and IND. In the loss to Phil, he had 4 catches for 35 yards. 3 for 31 in the loss to KC. 7 in the win against Miami and 4 in the loss to Cincy. Is that better?

What exactly is the "added dimension" that simply cannot be debated here?

Edited by Mr. WEO

The Bills have enough cap next year to sign Taylor, Gilmore, and Glenn without touching Shady's deal. If they cut Shady next year it's almost 8 million in dead cap money for a million in cap savings. If they're going to cut Shady for financial reason it'll be after the '17 season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

Not a chance.

I don't understand how the discussion continued after this post. Rhino - 100 ScottLaw & BADO - 0 Game over

The Bills' roster and cap situation is rather unique in that it has a very low amount of $$ allocated to the QB position. So if you factor in the fact that Tyrod is playing for $1M or whatever, I think it justifies a higher-than-normal allocation of cap dollars to other positions, including running back.

That said, putting aside his contract number, I question Shady's fit for Roman's offense. Seemed to me that Karlos and Gilleslee ran Roman's plays just as well, if not better than Shady. And I'm a HUGE fan of the Jon Williams pick and I think he too will thrive in Roman's offense. So I'm not sure we need Shady at all (I know it's sacrilege, but I'd much rather have a playmaking linebacker who can defend the pass well...)

so you would have no problem getting rid of mccoy and having Gilleslee take his place?

Why would you question Shady's fit in Roman's offense. He was excellent last year when healthy. What doesn't fit?