RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Hope I'm wrong but he may be the next EJ.

This could be very well true. But the sad fact is Jones will be in a much better situation to succeed than EJ. He won't have Syracuse's OC as both his OC and QB coach. He won't have the weight of being a 1st round pick and the expectations that come with it. He won't be rushed onto the field and can learn from 2 veteran Qbs.

Jones might not make it but I think it's a great pick because of the upside and he can be developed for a year or 2. Most of these Qbs won't amount to anything but you want to go with upside this late in the draft.

IMO, for a lot of Qbs, it's better to be drafted out of the 1st round. I think this is a perfect situation for Jones. Whether he develops, it's on him.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS,"

"Bright" is different than "willing to apply himself to school" or "good work ethic". The link Yolo posted described Jones as a freshman when he tweeted that as "addicted to video games" and his coach Herman as doubting if he would make it. Apparently he turned things around by 2014.

The fundamental truth, of course, is that Jones is exactly correct. He was wanted for his football potential, not his academic potential. College football scholarships are largely a joke, taking enrollment and scholarship money away from kids who could actually benefit from the opportunity to attend college. The only thing he did wrong was actually say it in public.

Hope I'm wrong but he may be the next EJ.

He could be, he could not be, the difference is he was drafted at the very bottom of the 4th round which is the place to take a flyer on a project player with high upside and major gaps.

He'll have a chance to sit and learn without any of the expectations that accompany being a 1st round pick or a high round pick without a veteran QB seated in front of you.

Edited by Hopeful

"Bright" is different than "willing to apply himself to school" or "good work ethic". The link Yolo posted described Jones as a freshman when he tweeted that as "addicted to video games" and his coach Herman as doubting if he would make it. Apparently he turned things around by 2014.

The fundamental truth, of course, is that Jones is exactly correct. He was wanted for his football potential, not his academic potential. College football scholarships are largely a joke, taking enrollment and scholarship money away from kids who could actually benefit from the opportunity to attend college. The only thing he did wrong was actually say it in public.

He could be, he could not be, the difference is he was drafted at the very bottom of the 4th round which is the place to take a flyer on a project player with high upside and major gaps.

He'll have a chance to sit and learn without any of the expectations that accompany being a 1st round pick or a high round pick without a veteran QB seated in front of you.

Yup. In hindsight, being a 1st round pick was the worst think that happened to EJ (not financially of course). I believe Taylor and Jones are in much better position to succeed because they aren't forced to play right away.

He played 3 games in 2014. Too small a sample size.

You are ignoring the point. The offense run during the playoffs, against the very best teams in the nation, was very different from the 2015 offense. He was successful against the best in 2014. He was much less successful against the soft part of OSU's 2015 schedule because the offensive schemes were different. Trust me on this one, I watched the games, all of them.

Please don't read this as a glowing recommendation for the kid. I don't know whether he'll be successful, but, I know how different the 2014 championship scheme was compared to 2015. One suited his abilities & the other did not.

You are ignoring the point. The offense run during the playoffs, against the very best teams in the nation, was very different from the 2015 offense. He was successful against the best in 2014. He was much less successful against the soft part of OSU's 2015 schedule because the offensive schemes were different. Trust me on this one, I watched the games, all of them.

Please don't read this as a glowing recommendation for the kid. I don't know whether he'll be successful, but, I know how different the 2014 championship scheme was compared to 2015. One suited his abilities & the other did not.

I see this point and I like The Jones pick. It is also for Qbs to succeed at first because teams don't have a lot of tape on them. It's like Mike Vick would light the league on fire for periods of time. But the more tape you got on him, you can find his weaknesses and he couldn't adjust.

IMO, this is the best thing that could happen to Jones if he has any hopes of developing into a NFL qb. If he got drafted high, the expectations would have been out of wack. He gets to work with a OC who has a history of working with QBs who have some flaws in the passing game and managing them well.

It's weird to say but Buffalo is a great place for a young qb to develop right now. This is the perfect developmental project.

I'm fine with the value. They were hell bent on a QB, didn't reach, let the board come to them.

Exactly, this was a well timed pick. Jones is said to have upside and is raw so the Bills have a chance to see how he might develop. All in all a pretty low risk gamble.

I really like this pick where it happened, I hope he develops. I cannot wait to see this guy spin it in preseason. The Bills haven't had a QB with an arm like this in a long time.

To be fair, EJ and JP both have cannons. It takes more than a strong arm to make it in the NFL though.

5 things to know about QB Cardale Jones

cardale-jones-story.jpg

The Bills as expected drafted a quarterback at the end of round four taking Ohio State QB Cardale Jones.

Listen - Jones "It was a great feeling." (7:32)
Bills 4th round pick Cardale Jones answers questions from the Buffalo Media regarding his communication with the Bills', how he feels he will develop further with the Bills and more.

QB Cardale Jones will have time to grow

cardale-feature-image.jpg

He was forced to sit behind a pair of quarterbacks in college and it taught Cardale Jones patience and how to be a team player while motivating him to improve his personal game. He walks into a very similar situation in Buffalo, and that's a good thing knowing his game still needs refinement.

To be fair, EJ and JP both have cannons. It takes more than a strong arm to make it in the NFL though.

I'm not high on the pick but as you said, to be fair, at least Jones will be able to sit and learn before he is expected to produce.

I don't doubt it and can see the upside, especially where we took him. I'm just leery of our management and coaching when it comes to this type of QB prospect. I'm a huge FSU fan and didn't like the EJ pick, even Fisher told pro teams he would need 2-3 years on the bench to grasp the speed. And he played in a pro style offense for 4 years. EJ is very intelligent as well. From what I've read on Jones, that's not really his strong suit but could be a positive that he's that raw. Not a lot of bad habits.....

Now I'm talking myself into liking this pick!

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

I don't doubt it and can see the upside, especially where we took him. I'm just leery of our management and coaching when it comes to this type of QB prospect. I'm a huge FSU fan and didn't like the EJ pick, even Fisher told pro teams he would need 2-3 years on the bench to grasp the speed. And he played in a pro style offense for 4 years. EJ is very intelligent as well. From what I've read on Jones, that's not really his strong suit but could be a positive that he's that raw. Not a lot of bad habits.....

Now I'm talking myself into liking this pick!

It's hard not to be leering of how we handle Qbs. We've been awful with it. But Jones is the first legit developmental guy we've had in years. There is zero pressure on him. He has much better coaches than EJ had here and much better talent.

There's a good chance he fails but given the investment, we can pick another guy In a year or 2 anyways.

I see this point and I like The Jones pick. It is also for Qbs to succeed at first because teams don't have a lot of tape on them. It's like Mike Vick would light the league on fire for periods of time. But the more tape you got on him, you can find his weaknesses and he couldn't adjust.

IMO, this is the best thing that could happen to Jones if he has any hopes of developing into a NFL qb. If he got drafted high, the expectations would have been out of wack. He gets to work with a OC who has a history of working with QBs who have some flaws in the passing game and managing them well.

It's weird to say but Buffalo is a great place for a young qb to develop right now. This is the perfect developmental project.

very good take