RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Short yardage comparison...not QB...as per bolded :rolleyes:

I get a sense you don't like this pick either?

:lol: Your sense is incorrect. Like most of your hot takes.

Jones has a very high ceiling at a position of need for the Bills. He's no threat to Taylor this year, and since he cost essentially a 5th round pick to attain, there won't be any rush to get him onto the field in the first two years.

He was the right pick (for me) at the right spot. Jones wasn't my favorite QB in the class, but I don't think the Bills needed to take a QB high because Taylor will be given every chance to prove he's the long term answer. And I believe Taylor IS the long term answer for the Bills based on last year. Though, if I'm wrong, it's nice to have someone like Jones developing with Roman and Lee.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can, however, save a roster spot.....

Opening up a roster spot on EJ would be the correct move.

:lol: Your sense is incorrect. Like most of your hot takes.

Jones has a very high ceiling at a position of need for the Bills. He's no threat to Taylor this year, and since he cost essentially a 5th round pick to attain, there won't be any rush to get him onto the field in the first two years.

He was the right pick (for me) at the right spot. Jones wasn't my favorite QB in the class, but I don't think the Bills needed to take a QB high because Taylor will be given every chance to prove he's the long term answer. And I believe Taylor IS the long term answer for the Bills based on last year. Though, if I'm wrong, it's nice to have someone like Jones developing with Roman and Lee.

I was being sarcastic.

Wasn't Aguayo taken in the second? Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea.......

yes he was. My point was that some on this board seem to have a paranoia and lack of confidence in Whaley that he would do such a thing.

I don't love this pick because any QB taken in the later rounds is typically a wasted pick.

And yet... we had to pick a QB at some point. Both our QBs are nearing the end of their contracts and TT is not a proven franchise guy.

Jones is raw but has shown flashes of brilliance. Let's say Roman and Lee mold him into a quality backup. Is he still a waste of a 4th round pick? How much is a good backup QB worth?

I'd rather Chris Palmer working with him than Lee. To me this a low risk high reward pick this point in draft.

5th (basically) on a guy that Whaley is straight up saying won't be a qb for us for at least another year. What's the harm?

If he pans out, great. I don't think he will. I think he will end up just as good as 80% of the qbs taken every year, nowhere.

Again, for a 5th, worth a shot.

5th (basically) on a guy that Whaley is straight up saying won't be a qb for us for at least another year. What's the harm?

If he pans out, great. I don't think he will. I think he will end up just as good as 80% of the qbs taken every year, nowhere.

Again, for a 5th, worth a shot.

Sensible take.

Not a real fan, Jamarcus Russel light. Teams figured him out last year. Great arm strength, above average athlete but nothing between the ears.

Not true. My uneducated eyes tell me that UM tried to force Jones into his system. That system doesn't match Jones' skill set. Watch a bit of footage from 14 and then 15. You'll see that the offenses were nothing like each other. Why Meyer decided to try to fit a round peg into a square hole is beyond me.

He is a damn fine fit for Greg Roman's offense and coaching, in terms of development as a project QB. Perfect QB pick IMO. Battle it out with EJ in camp for backup role this year and hopefully assume backup role next year.

Basically it's perfect...EJ will likely remain the number 2, which will give Cardale a lot of time to learn and be groomed as the backup next year because there is no way we resign EJ to a second contract which be way more than what he is worth. Cardale has a lot of raw physical talent, now he just has to work to bring the rest of game up and the BIlls get to see how high they can get that this year without him having to take the field...and if he beats out EJ, even better, he is ahead of schedule then.

BTW, will the Bills be the only team in NFL history that has 3 black QBs on the roster day 1?

Edited by matter2003

Opening up a roster spot on EJ would be the correct move.

Going into a season where are going for and have a legit shot at the playoffs with a 4th round rookie project as 2nd string behind a running/somewhat injury prone QB would be beyond dumb IMHO. Edited by reddogblitz