Knock On Ragland? Not Too Bright

H2o

He may not be smart enough to play in this defense.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers-b99704579z1-377020691.html

3. REGGIE RAGLAND, Alabama (6-1, 248, 4.66, 1): Kept busy playing special teams for two years, started at WLB in 2014 and as the signal-calling MLB in '15. "When he hits people they stop right there," one scout said. "He's a plugger. Good reading through hats, diagnosing quick. He can get sideline to sideline tracking people down." Finished with 220 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 4 sacks and 8 big plays. "Very nice kid," another scout said. "He's gifted enough. His body is a little soft but his athleticism speaks for itself. Question is, can he be a three-down linebacker? That's my only concern. If you really watch Alabama, on third down they don't have him dropping into space. They have him rushing the passer (with his hand down outside). There's got to be a reason they do that." Administered the Wonderlic test twice, scoring 10 and later 15. "There was a little knock on him learning the playbook early," said a third scout. "Talking to people at Alabama, you're not going to throw an NFL playbook at him Day 1. But in time he will learn it. When he learns it he can retain it." From Madison, Ala. "Great (expletive) kid," a fourth scout said. "He'll knock the (expletive) out of you. Fast, explosive, not very smart. That's going to affect him on the next level."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He diagnoses plays really fast. He's articulate in his interviews. He's a hard worker. I bet he'll learn the playbook.

Some people just don't test well. That's why schools/teachers try to diversify their assessments more and more these days.

I'm struck by the seeming contradiction between athleticism that speaks for itself and the wondering if he can be a three down LB.

GO BILLS!!!

There is a difference between being athletic and understanding man/ zone coverage. There are plenty of good athletes who are terrible in coverage.

Ray Lewis got a 13 on the Wonderlic and didn't have a problem owning that defense. I think the Wonderlic does lend some insight into a player. But it's not a true representation of whether a player can or can't pick up a playbook.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ray Lewis got a 13 on the Wonderlic and didn't have a problem owning that defense. I think the Wonderlic does lend some insight into a player. But it's not a true representation of whether a player can or can't pick up a playbook.

Did not know that. If Ragland could be a poor man's Ray Lewis he would be worth the pick

I immediately googled rays wonderlic after reading that post...

While some have established score floors by position as a draft policy, I'm confident there is a poor if not nonexistent correlation between NFL success and wonderlic score.

Here are sample Wonderlic questions: http://www.wonderlic.com/sites/default/files/SLE%20Sample%20Questions_1.pdf

For those of you wondering how easy it is...one of the questions was this:

very confusing questions.

When it comes to Ragland

I am torn between what I actually saw....which was getting pulled from a championship game because he could not cover

and

all kinds of people saying he is a under rated cover guy

which is it?

if he can cover a bit in zone but blow the snot out of anything coming off the line i like him.

If he is not footbal smart and needs time . No at 19.

Nineteen has to, must and better be impact day one

It still amazes me how many fans fight against the idea of testing/using test results -- I don't think I've ever seen someone say the wonderlic is an end all be all. But neither is a 4.4 vs 4.5 forty, 18 vs 22 bench reps... or a 17 vs 22 wonderlic. It's all part of creating the well rounded picture of a prospect and learning another piece about him.

If a guys score is terribly abnormal I want to know why and whether it'll effect me if I'm a GM though.

It still amazes me how many fans fight against the idea of testing/using test results -- I don't think I've ever seen someone say the wonderlic is an end all be all. But neither is a 4.4 vs 4.5 forty, 18 vs 22 bench reps... or a 17 vs 22 wonderlic. It's all part of creating the well rounded picture of a prospect and learning another piece about him.

If a guys score is terribly abnormal I want to know why and whether it'll effect me if I'm a GM though.

peel that onion. the only way to know is to dig into the player personal style. We fans can assume all day long